SAU Community

Speeding teen kills- (in a skyline)

This post may be a bit controversial but here goes.

IT is also proven that female drivers are LESS inclined to drag and drive hipo cars.  This is why there are differences in insurance, police attitudes and court rulings.

I know that statistics show that less females are involved in accidents than males but could this be because men are behind the wheel more often? I mean most of the time through mutual agreement the male in a relationship does most of the driving, especially long distances (unless your significant other happens to be giving you a lift home from the pub ;) ). Do the statistics actually take into account the amount of time and distances that each sex spends on the road or do they just take into account the overall number of licenses held?

My other observation is that although females are less likely to "drag and drive hipo cars" they are also less defensive drivers than males. The majority of female drivers have little mechanical knowledge and take the mechanical systems in their cars for granted. They know the go and woh pedals and give little thought to the limitations of the vehicle and the fact that these systems may seise to operate in their car or the cars around them. If I had a dollar for every time I saw a female driver in a 2 tonne four wheel drive doing 20 k's over the speed limit, brake at the last possible moment before a red light and then floor it off the green light all the way through the city, I would be a rich man. I also have a female friend who reversed over a concrete traffic island, rupturing brake and fuel lines. She then proceeded to drive the car 10km while leaking fuel and without brakes to get to the dealership. Somebody with any mechanical knowledge would have known not to drive the car as the potential for disaster was huge.

My intentions are not to offend anybody as I am well aware that there are some men who wouldn't know which end of a spanner to hang onto and many women who are more mechanically apt than some men could ever hope to be. Please don't think that I am stereotyping any sex here but these seem to be issues that the insurance companies choose to ignore by use of their statistics.

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent.  14% of people know that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm ok

well ive read through this whole thread and id just like 2 add my 2cents

i reckon that all this bullshit revenue raised by bullshit speed cameras and fines should b put 2 use on EDUCATING DRIVERS! and im sorry 2 say this but it is a FACT that young drivers are the ones that need more educating aswell as ederly ppl. More advanced driver training is needed aswell as harder testing and testing in different conditions. I also believe that if young ppl want high powered cars then they should hav 2 b tested for a high powered car so that the ones that cant handle them dont get them!

and give me a break! it is 100% THE DRIVERS FAULT!!! i dont care wat any1 else says, the driver chose the car, the driver chose the speed, the driver chose to drive how he did so how can you say that it is the cars fault! dont blame the car! if you cant handle it, dont drive it! simple

end of rant ;)

Before i get started i would like ot point out that i am a 16 year old that has my P Plates in advance for work and tafe purposes.

I have scared myself out of driving hi powered cars whilst i was working at a performance workshop as an apprentice. The LEAST powerful car in the workshop had 350Kw at the wheels and the most powerful was in excess of 700Kw. The boss let me take one of the cars around the block(wiht him in the passenger seat of course) to show me how dangerous driving can be. The car in question was a moded r33 gtr. i was extra cautious and drove pretty tamely and i still managed to get the cars tail to snap out from under me luckily as we were in an industrial area there was no traffic around. never going above third gear we returned to the workshop and parked the car inside. Before i got in the car i was over confident and 'KNEW' i could handle the power(410Kw). when i came back i was just happy not to have crashed. from this experience i learnt that driver education as well as EXTENSIVE experience is required to drive any car safely really. That article should have scared most young drivers but then again not everyone is the same. In the end no matter what you drive, unless you have the experience you are a higher risk on the road than someone with many years of experience(commonsense i know but meh).

Just my opinion

I'm new here but if this dude hit someone and killed them doing 115 in a 60 zone, then well... it's simple... You do the crime, you do the time.

Imagine if that was your gf/friend/family member that got killed by such reckless driving. That guy didn't just kill the guy he hit, he messed up a whole stack of lives, relatives, friends you name it? For what? So he could show off to his friends or something or cos he has a heavy foot?

Fact is, these cars are not toys, they are high performance vehicles that in the wrong hands can cause a world of hurt. Sure, it's tough for young kid to live with what he's done, but he knew the potential pitfalls going in, he messed up and now he's gotta make good for his mistakes, though you can't bring someone back from the dead, so in my eyes he'll never make up for it.

With great power comes great responsibility afterall!:mad:

But the power restrictions have been implemented and works with Motorcycles i.e you must start on a 250cc bike or lower.

I think this is a much better idea than say "curfews" which some public interest groups are touting.

I would have much rather put up with driving a less powerful car for a couple of years, if it meant that today I could drive my Skyline without getting pulled over by the cops every bloody week because they have a bad impression from a few irresponsible P platers.

And if it saves lives (not saying that it necessarily does) how can it be a bad thing.

( Put's on Asbestos Flame Retardant Suit and waits gingerly for replies )

They have now raised the capacity limit for bike to 600 (or maybe 660) cc. There is still a Power to Weight ratio restriction I believe.

Richard

Every single driver should be made to drive a scooter for 6-12 months before being allowed in a car.

...then they should have to drive a semi so they can find out first hand the amount of distance that one requires to stop.

What a load of crap. Power restrictions doesn't mean shit. I could thrash the crap out of my mum's 47kw Festiva, and still get up to high-ish speeds, and still lose control and crash, just as easily as I could driving my RX-7. It's all about the drivers attitude. In this case, the fool was racing another car. Thus, he took the risk of driving like an idiot on the road, and the accident was HIS FAULT. He could've been driving a god damn Camry and still lost control, ffs!

You drive a car sedately on the road like you should, and you'll find you'll have less trouble - no matter what the car is. You drive like a fool and play with fire - you get burnt. Simple as that. At the end of the day it's the DRIVERS fault - he's the one in control of the car, deciding what speed he'll do, deciding what gear he'll take and at what rev's he's going to drive at.

Why should I suffer and have to put up with driving a crap car, all because some other fool my age decides he'll race around thinking he's Peter Brock like an idiot and loses control of his car?

As SKY031 pointed out. You shoot someone, is it the guns fault? No, it's the fool who pulled the trigger.

Blaming it on the car is complete crap. Get that out of your head now.

As SKY031 pointed out. You shoot someone, is it the guns fault? No, it's the fool who pulled the trigger.  

Blaming it on the car is complete crap. Get that out of your head now.

its funny how all the teens are against a power limit for p platers hmmmm biased much?

i think there should be a progression of power limits for p platers like there is for motorbikes. Full licence = drive what ever you want.

beginer pilots dont go jumping in a F14 now do they??

if the fool didnt have access to the gun there would be no one shot :D

yes true

you can kill yourself speeding in any car but think of it this way - are you more likely to wanna speed in your mums camry type car or a modified 400hp skyline? hmmmm i wonder

i dont think power restrictions would b such a bad thing

just my point of view

Funnily enough I see more P platers driving like complete fools in Commodores than I do Skylines etc.. And Commodores aren't considered a high powered car - but cmon, they've got PLENTY of power to speed with.

People are still going to speed, it doesn't matter if they are driving an excel or an F40.

When are our politicians going to learn and stop these revenue raising campaigns. I think people would be less likely to speed if there were penalties like community service etc... People don't care if they have to pay a few dollars here and there.