SAU Community

Body Kits Off Ebay

alexx

I was looking through ebay the other day and came across a full Top Secret body kit for around $520

its made of fibreglass but ive heard bad things about fibreglass kits getting shipped and cracking.

so whats your idea on ebay kits, worth it or not?

Its a toss of a coin, alot of people have said there shit and some have said theve got lucky and there actually decent, is it from Aus? I wouldnt get it if its from China or something.

Personally fibreglass kits are already enough trouble to fit even if they are half decent so I would rather pay a few 100 more and stick to places like carmate.com.au, just jap , jet speed etc. I have got my kit from psi parts, just jap and carmate and Im happy with the fitment but still some work is needed before your ready to spray but yeah the price was aroudn 450 for back 450 front and 300 sides so quite a bit more.

Well a link doenst really help man, cuase you dont know until you try with bodykits lol but looking at price it seems to cheap to be decent but as I said some people have taken a chance and said it worked out and some have said it turned out to be a disaster.

i had a look on carmate, found one pretty close to the one i want, i spose in the long run it works out alot better to save the extra and get something a little more legit.

thanks for the opinions man.

Got my first front bar from car mate, sagged under drivers headlight and didnt line up that great on front guards...as you'd expect for like $400

Got my second one from jetspeed in melbourne shape was good, but instead of giving me GTR to fit GTS front bar, they accidentally gave me actual gtr front bar, so had to chop slits in it to fit properly.

First rear bar got from car mate, was horrible for fitment and shaping

Second was 400R rear bar lined up great not much work at all from jetspeed

Got sideskirts from PSI Parts Dandenong, needed a bit of work as they were warped out of shape, other than that they were awesome though

So it pays to have a look around, one way or another they all need fitment they never bolt on

Don't do it.

Genuine Branded bodykits have a higher price for a reason - because they did the hard R&D to make these bodykits, rip offs are just that - rip offs.

not everyone has a spare 4k for a bodykit.

• 2 weeks later...

agreed, i was a tad unsureand nervous when buying the kit, but for the price compared to the real deal kits, i couldnt say no lol. If u take the time and put in a decent effort like i did, i think they turn out quite splendid lol.

I'd never buy another cheap, ebay bodykit. The difference in quality between them and the genuine stuff is huge. Even the way the paint lies on it is different somehow, with the genuine stuff requiring so much less prep work to get the paint looking good, and the cheap stuff got bubbles in the resin as soon as the sun heated it up.

Depending on what style you want you can get cheaper genuine stuff, I got a full Origin kit (one of the cheaper ones anyway) for $600 and it all bolted up without any cutting, sanding etc needed. Retained the stock reo and used all existing bumper holes too.

what site did you use and what car do you drive sparkys? ive been looking for cheap bodykits for ages but i cant find any. they want to charge like $600 for one piece rather than 3.

I guess it's same as buying a chinese turbo..enjoy that quality made product..lol.

could not be a worse comparison if your tried. You dont need to go and buy a genuine body kit for big bucks that your going to ruin anyway, my kit went on pretty much fine bit of tinkering but overall for the price i dont expect it to be perfect but it certainly does a suitable job.

engine components are a whole different ball game to some cosmetic plastic..

what site did you use and what car do you drive sparkys? ive been looking for cheap bodykits for ages but i cant find any. they want to charge like $600 for one piece rather than 3.

Sorry took so long to reply, didn't check the thread and hadn't seen the question till now.

I drive an R32 GTS-T and I didn't get the kit from a website. I bought it off a friend who had it sitting in his shed from when Origin had distributors in Adelaide.

i've used an ebay fairing kit on a bike before, took some modification and was a prick to fit but looks fine. i agree with alr33x in regards to engine components, but i'm more about performance than looks and wasn't willing to spend 3-4k on appearances when i could get it 90% of the way there for 500 bucks. that extra money has now gone into getting an extra 20hp, to me it's a no brainer, go for it.

has anyone here bought a REAL KIT? and then compare it to a copy kit?

I have a copy BN Sport kit from ebay and i couldn't be more than happy with the quality of the kit. One think you need to remember is that the kit is fiberglass so doesn't matter if your paying $200 or $2000 it will never be as straight or perfect as a FRP, Plastic or CF KIT

Was that Top secret bodykit from a dude from Vietnam? I think I saw the bodykit listed on ebay too. I am about to make an order for the widebody kit from the seller... can't really trust on reliablity though... I will let you the quality once it is fitted to my R if you are keen know the result

Edited by cooljustin