SAU Community

Petrol Prices

66yostagea

I would not mind if petrol was a fixed price. Say $1.40. But....

Today I filled up one car, drove home got the Stag and drove back, like 10 mins, the price had gone up 5 cents.

Now I reckon someone out there with some political ambitions could start a new political party. The "People's Petrol Pricing Party". Run a candidate in each State for the Federal Senate. Each interested motorist could donate $5, say X 1,000,000.

That would pay for a jolly good campaign. Get CONTROL of the Upper House. Then stick it to the Oil Companies and the Government of the day.

A while back there was a sign on a bowser, "Not paying for petrol is stealing" Some sage had written underneath, "So is a

$1.65 a litre.

Edited by 66yostagea

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What pisses me off is when you see the price of oil go down $5 a barrel yet the price of fuel goes up 12c a litre over night like what happened the other day.

yesterday morning..$1.18 per ltr for regular fuel.. same place that night was $1.38 per ltr.. i got home, went to my local servo and it was $1.19 so i topped up the gf's car... its crazy that it can jump 20c in less than one working day!!

yesterday morning..$1.18 per ltr for regular fuel.. same place that night was $1.38 per ltr.. i got home, went to my local servo and it was $1.19 so i topped up the gf's car... its crazy that it can jump 20c in less than one working day!!

i noticed the same at the place i go and was wondering the exact same thing, its fkn bullshit...

i thought the price cycles were normal and had been for years. wednesday in adelaide is generally going to be at least 10c/L cheaper than thursday

Edited by pistol-pete

Governments will never do anything about it, not when they are getting the Fuel Tax & GST on all fuels being sold.

Yes, but if the price of fuel was fixed for say three months, based on the average PPB for the preceeding three months, there would be no b'sit prices for Wednesday to Friday then a 5 to 20c increase for the weekends, especially long weeks and holidays.

The oil that comes out of the ground today would not hit the refineries for three months so averaging would be fair.

But pricing of petrol must be set by a strong organisation, hence the political aspect.The present "referee' is a toothless tiger. Prices are still set by the oil companies to satisfy their own monetary needs. And also, the tax barrel.

There is a multitude of factors to consider to this end you have to have people who are incorruptable, virtually like judges,

although there have been some bad apples in that barrel.

There may be a career path for the more astute among us?

the price of bp ultimate (only 98ron fuel available) in tas has been over $1.50 for a while now, and i know for a fact that there are about 6 or 7 stag owners down here, myself included, who have been running 95 with no problems

i know everyone will get up me saying that its bad for the motor etc etc but i've been running it for probably 2 months now and i haven't really noticed a difference in performance and 80% of the time i'm just cruising about

i guess 10 years ago 95 ron was still pretty average and nowadays the fuel quality is a bit higher, coupled to the fact that the engine management is pretty advanced for a 10 y/o car and is detecting the higher knock and dealing with it - oh and tassie is colder than back home in qld so less change of pinging too

but back onto the topic of fuel, if you guys think your getting ripped, down here there is not much fluctuation its been $1.299 for ages for regular unleaded and bp ultimate goes for about 21 cents more per litre than regular

and it also annoys me that when the price per barrel goes down the price of fuel does not

from what i've seen, petrol is still inline with the weekly cycle. petrol in adelaide is cheaper than brisbane though. i'm still 100% certain that petrol in the lower socioeconomic areas is cheaper than the higher socioeconomic areas though. i've seen differences in the expensive parts of the cycle, at 5cpl. that's for both brisbane and adelaide.

Josh, I really dont think the socio/economic thing has much to do with it. If you are short of fuel just drive to the cheaper outlets and fill a few drums while you are at it. If fuel is dear up here I will just top up to get down the coast. It is a bit like grocery shopping. I do the shopping here caus Mrs66 works in our Gallery every day. I only buy what is on special. I dont need to, I do it caus I want to.

But this digresses from what is the motorists lament. $xxx is STEALING.

In the US they pay less per Gallon(US) than we do a litre.

Once upon a time there was this big island, well away from all the other oil producing countries. They had this real dumb government running the show, but that didnt matter the country prospered anyway.

They had all the natural reserves of oil and gas they could ever need. The problem was how do we get it out of the ground? That would call for investment and infrastructure, most likely requiring govt initiatives....all seemed a bit too hard. Only every other developed country was doing it, but seemed to hard for the Aussie govt.

So, it was decided the smart thing to do would be to sign over all the oil to foreign producers with the agreement that they supply the local market, but to make it worthwhile they can also export the oil, and the Australian people will pay global prices for barrels of oil, (a higher price)

I think that was some of the greatest governance ever by a political party!

Josh, I really dont think the socio/economic thing has much to do with it. If you are short of fuel just drive to the cheaper outlets and fill a few drums while you are at it. If fuel is dear up here I will just top up to get down the coast. It is a bit like grocery shopping. I do the shopping here caus Mrs66 works in our Gallery every day. I only buy what is on special. I dont need to, I do it caus I want to.

But this digresses from what is the motorists lament. $xxx is STEALING.

In the US they pay less per Gallon(US) than we do a litre.

it could be just be the regions themselves, because in qld i only tested this stretch, but it was consistent. go from the Buranda area, to mt gravatt and it'll drop a cent. then go to woodridge, it'll drop another 2 cents, then go to browns plains and it will drop another cent or 2. originally i thought it was just because it's further out of town (like that would somehow make a difference), but then if you go to redland bay, it's usually at least as expensive as buranda area or moreso...

it sounds a little strange, i know, but for about 2 years, i worked between those places consistently and i always filled up at browns plains. ipswich is usually on par, or a little cheaper than browns plains as well.

but yeah, we get shafted by comparison to the us. but then new zealand gets shafted compared to us and europe gets shafted compared to them.

Edited by pyro-ns

£1.26 per litre here in Nottingham England for Shell V-power.

I think that's roughly $2.06 per litre.

Yes , My arse is sore every time i go to fill up.

Damned if im getting rid of my car though.

Most of that is tax and will the government do anything about it ?

Will they f**k.

hahahahaha, you just made me think. when the 10% ethanol blend came to QLD, the servo that i was working at was one of the first 6 or so to get it. the price was the same for the ethanol blend as it was for regular 91 unblended. a customer came in one day and said, "Isn't there meant to be no tax on the ethanol blend, so it should be about 8c cheaper?" i had to stifle my laughter and tell him that government tax is somewhat higher than 8cpl.

hahahahaha, you just made me think. when the 10% ethanol blend came to QLD, the servo that i was working at was one of the first 6 or so to get it. the price was the same for the ethanol blend as it was for regular 91 unblended. a customer came in one day and said, "Isn't there meant to be no tax on the ethanol blend, so it should be about 8c cheaper?" i had to stifle my laughter and tell him that government tax is somewhat higher than 8cpl.

Yes, on petrol.... but if it is 10% ethanol, shouldn't there only be tax on the petrol content of the fuel ie 90%? Not that the tax on 10% would equate to 8c/L, but I can understand through the double negative what he was saying.