SAU Community

Check This Out....a Very Strange Happening!

ylwgtr2

here i was belting the crap out of one of my racing cars (its a 450kg oscar racing car powered by a 12a rotary) on the 30th at calder on a test and tune day....then a week later (i just push the car in and out every day) this happens.....it was sitting outside all day yesterday and about 4pm i was out the front about 1 metre away from the car talking to a customer when i hear a large "bang.....bing bing bing" sound so i looking over and the car had busted the axle off at the spline and shot the fkn thing half a metre away! amazing.......:)

gallery_2711_155_59157.jpg

gallery_2711_155_290527.jpg

gallery_2711_155_19739.jpg

Customer: "Uhhh what was that?"

You:"Oh thats nothing"

Customer:".....on second thought...my car is fine...yea...it's running like new...thanks anyway!"

its a strange one....id say it had cracked and possibly the temp drop caused it to tension up one last time....thats the only explaination .....and i dont work on cars here just motorbikes...which would be a little more concerning to customers :)

i just waved a hair dryer across the broken part and yep 1/3rd of it went a lighter colour than the rest...this shows me that it had a crack through 2/3rds of it and the last 1/3rd was just holding it together until it popped off!

i just waved a hair dryer across the broken part and yep 1/3rd of it went a lighter colour than the rest...this shows me that it had a crack through 2/3rds of it and the last 1/3rd was just holding it together until it popped off!

Thank GOD you're OK. Now you've got images (in your mind) of where/when it could have snapped - and it didn't. :P

(its a 450kg oscar racing car powered by a 12a rotary)

So whats that 600kg with driver and fuel, is the engine standard, a nice bp with a webber and that thing would be better than a gixxer kart, you would be able to get traction in that.

Edited by W0rp3D

So whats that 600kg with driver and fuel, is the engine standard, a nice bp with a webber and that thing would be better than a gixxer kart, you would be able to get traction in that.

yeah pretty much 40lts of fuel and im 98 kg....the engine is standard with a few carb mods but nothing special....i do have some factory mazda 12APP housings,trumpet injection and late engine management which should be good for around 250HP...i also have som factory race 13BPP housings that did make over 300hp but in its current form i did manage 58 second laps at calder but im not that great a driver as im still getting used to the car.....you can brake so late in this thing its amazing.....Its just stuck to the road....and the corner speed is something quite spectacular...this seems to be what it likes----->brake really late on the straight ,smash it down 2 gears just after you have washed off some speed,then belt the go pedal straight to the floor and turn the steering wheel ever so slightly to get around the corner!its on rails!