SAU Community

Removing Carbon Canister And Air Con

what real gains are to be had removing the carbon canister anyway..1kw maybe

I also remember reading somewhere that in Japan race and drift cars are required to keep them, anyone know if this is correct. Cause those cars are mighty quick so it seems to me removing it is pointless and a waste of fuel..

How did you go removing the evaporator etc. under the dash? Or you not going that far.

I have removed the A/C from under my dash & its not hard...

Remove glove-box, from memory theres a plate behind there so remove that too. Then next to blower, directly under glovebox, is the A/C core in a plastic case, which is held in by a heap of bolts. Remove that then you can split it in half (held together by tabs) pull the core out, & refit the plastic case. This plastic case acts as part of the ducting for the heater & fan so if you use these, it needs to be refitted or replaced with something similar (have seen 4" domestic A/C tubing used) or you will have nothing.

Few things to note but...

The alloy A/C fittings that poke through your firewall are part of the core so if you remove it you will have two holes in your firewall.

Some grommets from Clark Rubber will fix that.

There will also be two holes in the plastic case where these same fittings poked through that. Once again, grommets or something similar will fix...

& lastly, I would suggest putting some flywire, etc between the two pieces of the plastic case when re-assembling it. Without this you will have a lot of leaves, etc come through the vents that the A/C core used to catch.

Fair bit (but not HEAPS) of crap caught in & around my core when I done this...

what real gains are to be had removing the carbon canister anyway..1kw maybe

I also remember reading somewhere that in Japan race and drift cars are required to keep them, anyone know if this is correct. Cause those cars are mighty quick so it seems to me removing it is pointless and a waste of fuel..

I think there would be no performance increase what so ever. I mainy removed it so I could mount a catch can in it's place and remove a bunch of vacuum lines.

I think most people would be removing them due to engine bay tidy up/making more room.

• 3 years later...

i hope you didnt just let the air con gas out.

R134a is Lethal to the atmosphere
R12 is also lethal yet no longer in modern cars and usually only seen older vehicles that are yet to be converted to r134a there would be a plate in teh engine bay stating which type fo gas you have. and if serviced by a air conditioning place and replaced with minus 30 thered also be a minus 30 service sticker in there properly. unless was done in a back yard job.
There is a cheaper gas going round which can be let out into the atmosphere though. known to most as (Minus 30)

Just for fi anyone views this thread for the same reasons please take your car to a registered Air conditioning place to get it properly removed.