SAU Community

R34 Skyline Inspection Report

MaddehZ

Hi guys, recently had a R34 GT-V skyline go in for inspection in anticipation to buying.

Came back with positive results, thought i'd share them:

r34results.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

r34results2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just a question concerning Steering Rack, it is noted that free play is evident.

Also steering pull tends to drift to the left.

How would I go about fixing these problems?

Any comments are appreciated, extremely excited about the car

Is it me or does those results don't look too positive? It seems like everything = green = GO lol

Also, who did these checks for you? Seems like the report is pretty brief...

check and ask a mechanic

they sound like basic normal issues to me and most related to wear and tear

i mean some of the reports you get pick up every bloody single issue

and dont focus on the basics, ie engine compression, engine health, and pick out little things like dirty caps etc when more important things could be checked

I've heard there are many other checks that is better than the RACV one. State Roads is one of them.

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic that knows lots about imports, especially Skylines.

use it as a baseline and ask a mechanic workshop (print out the list) to check over them

when i had my ECR33 checked it had 2 pages of little shit and issues

the car had 58,000 on the clock and still going strong with 223,000

so check the specific detail of each item and clarify what they mean

from your report the brake pad issue and keyless entry stand out

the rest seem normal. i mean what 1999 car that is 2nd hand isnt going to have some level of scratches, minor wear/tear and refinishing evidence

An RACV test is not worth wiping your arse with.....i wish people would stop giving money to those (unts

Oh I see what you did there :blush:

When it comes to anything more complex than a Falcon or Commodore I can only echo your sentiments. I have only heard good things about state roads and it seems $500 is a small amount of money to part with to avoid years of pain and thousands of dollars in potentional repairs.

Oh I see what you did there ;)

When it comes to anything more complex than a Falcon or Commodore I can only echo your sentiments. I have only heard good things about state roads and it seems $500 is a small amount of money to part with to avoid years of pain and thousands of dollars in potentional repairs.

I don't think it's $500..... In the other thread, people have stated $250-350 :D

An RACV test is not worth wiping your arse with.....i wish people would stop giving money to those (unts

+1 for the above

I had a stateroads inspection done on the wifes car before purchase....can't remember the exact amount but wasn't over $250. Very happy with the detailed inspection and would highly recommend.

Stateroads is excellent. My mate had an R34 looked at and not only did the guy know everything about cars (obviously), but Skyline specific too. He could tell that the gearbox had been poorly rebuilt and that it was missing some factory seal (can't remember what it was).

Hey guys so i've considered everything and am going to go ahead and purchase the vehicle.

Where would I take it to clear up the problems now and possibly in the future?

SE suburbs btw

Edited by MaddehZ

I had a stateroads inspection done on the wifes car before purchase....can't remember the exact amount but wasn't over $250. Very happy with the detailed inspection and would highly recommend.
Stateroads is excellent. My mate had an R34 looked at and not only did the guy know everything about cars (obviously), but Skyline specific too. He could tell that the gearbox had been poorly rebuilt and that it was missing some factory seal (can't remember what it was).

+1 for http://www.stateroads.com.au/ , I got my R34 GTT inspected by them before buying it a month or two ago. It's not cheap though at $289 for the comprehensive inspection but you will know heaps more about what you're buying. I also got a quick second opinion by the workshop that did the roadworthy and then took it to Chasers to address one tricky issue.

MaddehZ your RACV inspection report doesn't look too bad provided that the inspector wasn't completely clueless, IMHO. Have a look at the Local Wreckers And Workshops thread for a knowledgeable workshop near you to get that stuff sorted.

The car is from power road, and no the racv check was kind of the decider for me as to whether it was a go-er. Wise choice ?

I've heard good and bad from them and I've been there a few times for myself or for friends. But I still reckon RACV shouldn't be the decider, but a proper mechanic. That's my very honest opinion :cool:

If you are spending that much money on a car, you might as well do everything within your budget to make sure everything is okay, instead of buying it then realise it's a lemon :rolleyes:

steering play in a skyline is usually basic stuff (quite common), non issue really, even if worse case it was bounced off a gutter and the rack was US then your only up for a max of $500 fitted anyway. Id say rack mount bushes or tie rods are slightly worn.

To the people saying it's not a thorough inspection based on this fault report...seems to me they've only listed what is wrong with the car (the important part) and not what is fine with it. If it's a well kept car then the fault report isn't going to be very extensive. I'm sure the actual inspection had a hundred more variables to check for than what they listed on the faults report. I guess they could have been more specific with the source/cause of the problem and a possible fix for it but that's your mechanic's job.