SAU Community

Max Boost The Standard R33 Turbo Can Deliver?

I don't care enough to keep contact details, if you search you will find threads and I have seen one with my own eyes that came in to the workshop, exhaust wheel was still intact.

By all means guys, wind your stock turbos up, I'm not the one that will be crying when they let go :banana:

No one's doubting that it 'can' happen. But the back end is more likely to go before the front end.

And no one is winding up turbos or crying about it. The topic of 'safe' boost levels for these turbos has been covered a million times before. The question was how high can one go?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

Interesting read .. and the discussion went quite broad :banana:

As for damaged standard turbos, have a look at my signature ..

It's actually a link to some videos.

Click on the second video from the top titled 'Suspension, PowerFC, New Turbo'

There's a good coverage of what is likely to happen to the turbo.

Cheers,

Andrew

No one's doubting that it 'can' happen. But the back end is more likely to go before the front end.

And no one is winding up turbos or crying about it. The topic of 'safe' boost levels for these turbos has been covered a million times before. The question was how high can one go?

As for damaged standard turbos, have a look at my signature ..

It's actually a link to some videos.

Click on the second video from the top titled 'Suspension, PowerFC, New Turbo'

There's a good coverage of what is likely to happen to the turbo.

black screen, downloaded at 500kb/sec for about a minute and then i gave up. meh. sorry dude your website sucks i'm not waiting for that shit :banana:

black screen, downloaded at 500kb/sec for about a minute and then i gave up. meh. sorry dude your website sucks i'm not waiting for that shit :yes:

Sorry mate ..

Sucks and Shit?

:):ph34r:

User Error!

The page is perfectly alright.

Get your system/browser up to date.

For Netscape/FireFox you need a plug-in since the content is based on windows media.

There is a note about this on top of the page!

Or use Internet Explorer!

Edited by Torques

Good videos but the speed is limited to 120kb/s, bloody annoying when its a 70mb video and you've got a max download speed of 2.2mb/s

Hi ...

You are right!

There seems to be an issue with the provider ...

The video normally starts after 1-2 seconds and it is very smooth!

Please try again later!

Here (in London) it is very slow as well.

Sorry about that :ph34r:

Edited by Torques

Based on the HTML source, I'm guessing the videos themselves are just plain embedded files, so they're likely coming over HTTP. As HTTP runs over TCP, there is going to be maximum throughput on that single HTTP connection purely due to the latency. As the site is hosted in the states, and most people on SAU are in Australia (and you're in London), there's a reasonably high latency (250-300ms+) which is where the throughput limitation stems.

Yeah I pulled the links out the source and used a download accelerator, managed to get 2.2mb/s that way by using 10 connections. I HATE embedded videos unless they are using youtube, anything else sucks balls, always prefer a direct link to download with.

Edited by Rolls

Yup, pretty much spot on. Heh - as you found out, the only real way around it is multiple connections (cos whilst each single is limited by the latency, by establishing multiple connections you overcome that). This is also why torrents work so well :ph34r:

... anyways, back to your regular channel now </end geek>

Anyhow, enjoy watching.

:ph34r:

A lot of the videos appear to be from some DVD or something, because at the end they go 'next episode' etc, what is this dvd as I wouldn't mind watching them all, not just your bits you've cut out.

Thanks

Many years ago on a previous r33 the pressure line going to my actuator pretty much open.. Not sure exactly how much it was running but it would have been a bit over 15psi - used to go off the stock gauge. Back then i thought +7 meant 7psi haha!

Drove it hard for over 20,000kms before realising why my stock car went harder than everyone elses :D Eventually put it back to stock boost, i had the turbo off after all of this and it was perfect condition.

Not saying this is the norm, but thats an example of good luck i guess.. Those were the good old days, ignorance was bliss!

Many years ago on a previous r33 the pressure line going to my actuator pretty much open.. Not sure exactly how much it was running but it would have been a bit over 15psi - used to go off the stock gauge. Back then i thought +7 meant 7psi haha!

Drove it hard for over 20,000kms before realising why my stock car went harder than everyone elses :D Eventually put it back to stock boost, i had the turbo off after all of this and it was perfect condition.

Not saying this is the norm, but thats an example of good luck i guess.. Those were the good old days, ignorance was bliss!

did you have a stock ECU?

how did you do this with not hitting Rich and Retard

did you have a stock ECU?

how did you do this with not hitting Rich and Retard

Stock ecu! Over the years I have seen that most cars hit r&r, some dont. My current car hits it at around 9psi when I try the stock ecu but my old car didnt. May have been messed with, who knows but it looked untouched.

Drove it hard for over 20,000kms before realising why my stock car went harder than everyone elses :P Eventually put it back to stock boost, i had the turbo off after all of this and it was perfect condition.

:D

After all the gloomy replies and off-topic posts this is an uplifting story :P

I can literally see you in your Skyline with the boost over 15PSI and not thinking a moment about destroying the turbo.

Yes, ignorance is bliss and for some reason not every R33 turbo explodes if taken to new levels.

Cheers ...

Edited by Torques

:laugh:

After all the gloomy replies and off-topic posts this is an uplifting story :laugh:

I can literally see you in your Skyline with the boost over 15PSI and not thinking a moment about destroying the turbo.

Yes, ignorance is bliss and for some reason not every R33 turbo explodes if taken to new levels.

Cheers ...

haha happy to hear mate :laugh: Didnt have a worry in the world - I had some of the best times in that old car.

I personally know a few people who have run around 13psi for a while with no issues, if you speak to tuners im sure you will hear some say 10psi and others say 13-14 is fine. Personally I believe that there is more to it than just a value.

I believe both heat and turbine speed may come into the equation, hence say you have a rich tune and only boost for short periods then I wouldnt expect the turbo to go easily. On the other hand - say you run a leaner tune and use it on the track where you have full throttle a lot of the time....

So if you use your car on the street and give it a quick squirt here and there, dont rev it out often, then I would not be surprised at all if the stock turbo lasted a long time as I have experienced myself and seen on other cars.