SAU Community

Whining Noise - Car Stereo

jez NF

Hey...

Installed a sound system this morning in my R33 GTST.....JL splits in the front....JL two ways in the back....Kicker four channel amp and Kicker box subwoofer.....

Makes a whining sound (matches the rpm)....any suggestions / potential reasons why??

Cheers

Jeremy

it's called alternator whine and caused by voltage differences and u can hear it as high frequency noise....i.e only on your front splits and not on the low frequency subwoofer.

try this

1. do not run power cables and rca side by side.

2. ground each amp independently and do not attach ground from one amp to the next

3. ground the HU to bare chassis metal...not some aluminium bracket on the inside of the dash

4. if none of the above works...use a ground loop isolator on the rca

i'm no expert in the field...but i have had the same problem before and have always managed to resolve it using the 4 steps above.

Edited by fcruz3r

Hey...

Installed a sound system this morning in my R33 GTST.....JL splits in the front....JL two ways in the back....Kicker four channel amp and Kicker box subwoofer.....

Makes a whining sound (matches the rpm)....any suggestions / potential reasons why??

Cheers

Jeremy

read this and see if any of it makes sense

Noise prevention

• 2 weeks later...

Alternator whine is likely to be either;

- a poor ground from amp to chassis

make sure the metal is "bright" (get rid of paint by sanding) and that the ring fitting on your cable is making good contact. this includes your head unit ground cable as well.

- a poor ground from battery to chassis

rarely this in modern cars with small systems, but a good idea to upgrade the factory earth with an additional cable equal to the one from your amp to chassis. again, ensure good contacts.

- RCA interference

poor quality RCA's, RCA's that are "coiled" (due to being too long) or RCA's running near engine looms or other power cables can cause noise. easy way to check here is to unplug your RCA's and connect an iPod with a stero jack to RCA adapter. If your noise is still there, it is power side (earthing) if the noise is gone it is signal (RCA) side.

very rarely is it interference due to the head unit itself unless it is older than the hills or crap quality - like sound4 or something :D

If its a pioneer deck then that will be your problem.

what an ill informed comment.

Look pal rather then write the same thing as everyone else has I have given the op another possibility. As unlikey as that will be the issue it does still happen. And yes pioneer decks do have a reputation for being fragile. I am speaking from personal experience.

Look pal rather then write the same thing as everyone else has I have given the op another possibility. As unlikey as that will be the issue it does still happen. And yes pioneer decks do have a reputation for being fragile. I am speaking from personal experience.

from my roughly 25 years in the 12v industry , the Pioneer brand is 1 of the best in terms of features,dependability etc. so your comment isn't valid at all.

from my roughly 25 years in the 12v industry , the Pioneer brand is 1 of the best in terms of features,dependability etc. so your comment isn't valid at all.

lol my comments not valid. :P

You never heard of a fragile micro fuse common to pioneer decks?

pioneers are very well knows to blow "pico" and make whining noise

i had issues with mine and it drove me insane then i put a filter on acc side and it stopped it :)

will take some pics to make it easier and hope this can fix your problem as well

lol my comments not valid. :)

You never heard of a fragile micro fuse common to pioneer decks?

Get over it, you don't know what your talking about, I've installed at least a few thousand pioneer decks etc and never had 1 blow or even a return for problems from bad parts. never.

most issues are install related, bad wiring , shorts, etc

or people dragging to much current from the power antenna wire, use a relay !!!!! or ANY brand of deck will fry

speakers hissing/popping on "deck power" is normally caused by grounded speaker frames to speaker cables or shorted speaker leads hitting the speaker frames common on thin coax speakers, or blown capacitors on crossovers/noise filters

floating grounds thru antenna jacks can as well

Mine did that.

Adjust the 'gain' on the amp to lowest setting (you won't hear any sound), then slowly increase it until it starts to whine... then back it off a little.

Good luck :)

Get over it, you don't know what your talking about, I've installed at least a few thousand pioneer decks etc and never had 1 blow or even a return for problems from bad parts. never.

most issues are install related, bad wiring , shorts, etc

or people dragging to much current from the power antenna wire, use a relay !!!!! or ANY brand of deck will fry

speakers hissing/popping on "deck power" is normally caused by grounded speaker frames to speaker cables or shorted speaker leads hitting the speaker frames common on thin coax speakers, or blown capacitors on crossovers/noise filters

floating grounds thru antenna jacks can as well

how bout you prove I don't know what I am talking about rather the spinning shit that you actually work in the audio industry?

it used to do it in my previous car (integra) when my rca was too close to the ecu.

When i pulled it away, then it wouldn't make the whining noise, but when it was closer, then it would come back.

Oh, and it was a very dodgy home audio install. That could also do it!

i also have a kicker 4channel amp

same noise, tried everything

somehtings thats even more strange is the fact i have four speakers connected to the thing yet i only need two RCA's connected for al speakers to work

someone explain that one to me as iv messed around with it lots and yea nothing works im guessing i dont have surround sound i just have two sterio sound