SAU Community

S1 And S2 4wd Autos

QLDR31

Hi,

Just wondering if S1 and S2 autos are the same ?

Also the front diff does that just use engine oil ?

The transfer case, thats part of the gearbox so it uses transmission fluid right ?

How do you flush this transmission ?

Thanks in advance

Brendan

S1 auto is pretty much an R33 and earlier box.

S2 auto is an R34 tiptronic box, fair bit different to the S1.

Not sure on front diff.

Transfer case is seperate to the gearbox and uses its' own fluid, have a search and you'll find out what it is.

Just wondering if S1 and S2 autos are the same ? No

Also the front diff does that just use engine oil ? NO, GL5 85w-90 gear oil...where did you get that idea from ???

The transfer case, thats part of the gearbox so it uses transmission fluid right ? yes

How do you flush this transmission ? take it to an transmission shop for best results

Are you guys sure, I was just talking with one of my local gurus.

He reckons the boxes are the same, same connections, just different controller.

Hi,

Just wondering if S1 and S2 autos are the same ?

Also the front diff does that just use engine oil ?

The transfer case, thats part of the gearbox so it uses transmission fluid right ?

How do you flush this transmission ?

Get yourself an auto sump gasket kit and a 20L drum of (ideally) quality synthetic atf. You need 12 to 14L for the auto and you can use the rest for your attessa and power steering. Drain the sump and drop it (easier said then done - you will have to support the box and remove the rear mounting). You will only get betweeen 1 and 2 litres this way. Check that the new internal filter is exactly the same (otherwise the sump won't go back on) and if not either modify the new one to suit or clean the old one and put it back. Put 2L of fresh oil down the dip stick tube.

Then pull a hose off the trans oil cooler and run the engine until you have pumped out 2L into a container. Pour 2L of new oil down the dipstick tube and repeat until you get clean oil coming out. This will take 12 to 14L in total.

I'm totally confused with the s1 and s2 business.

Does that only apply to m35s or does it apply to c34's also ?

And what is this in reference too this thread?

and if its only for m35's and mine being a s1, why is it a 5 speed triptronic?

or is it 4 with overdrive?

Edited by PetroDola

I'm totally confused with the s1 and s2 business.

Does that only apply to m35s or does it apply to c34's also ?

And what is this in reference too this thread?

and if its only for m35's and mine being a s1, why is it a 5 speed triptronic?

or is it 4 with overdrive?

This thread refers to S1 and S2 C34 1996 to 2000 not M35.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know what needs to be done to fit a s2 tip auto into an s1? So, other than box & steering wheel, what else (ecu?...)?

if your going to go to this level of f**king about just put in a 5 speed ;-) The tiptronic's not that cool.

Yeah ive thought about the gtr box, as ive driven manuals all my life! But recently ive discovered how easy autos are to drive in peak hour traffic, but they totally suck balls in the hills! So i was hoping for the compromise of auto with the ability to have some control over the shifting when i needed to! (ive never driven a tip gearbox though)

So i guess that raises the question of will a neo ecu run an s1 rb25? (nistune?)

Yeah ive thought about the gtr box, as ive driven manuals all my life! But recently ive discovered how easy autos are to drive in peak hour traffic, but they totally suck balls in the hills! So i was hoping for the compromise of auto with the ability to have some control over the shifting when i needed to! (ive never driven a tip gearbox though)

So i guess that raises the question of will a neo ecu run an s1 rb25? (nistune?)

I believe the short answer to the above is no although my mechanic is fond of saying anything is possible if you want to spend enough money. In fact I don't think the tiptronic has any more abilities in the hills than the S1 box (which I used to have before I converted it to manual). With the S1 box you can turn off the "overdrive" which leaves you the bottom three gears or if you are going downhill with a caravan or car on a trailer you can chop down to 2nd. If you also hit the snow button that cuts out 1st gear so you can pretty much control what gear you are going to use. I can't really see any value in changing to tiptronic.

^^ lol

The tiptronic box is far superior than the earlier auto.

Put a shift kit in it and it's excellent.

As for getting a Neo ECU to run a normal 25.. you would need to find out everything that is different sensor and wiring wise, and change it to suit the Neo.

OR

Just get a s2 halfcut and ditch your crappy normal 25 in favour of the Neo :P