SAU Community

Best Picture Resizer Program - Suggestions?

double overhead sun visors

I am after a good picture resizer program that will work on Vista Ultimate 64. For use with downsizing large images for posting to teh internets with lossless quality.

Prefer something that can batch process and even handle RAW conversions to JPG. I have CS5 and ACDsee Pro, but wont something lite n' easy for rough and ready batch processing.

I use a Canon 40D...

Photoshop is good, but doesn't do batch resizing.

I use Faststone. Batch resizing, watermarks, borders, renaming, ect ect. Not bad for a free program!

True that,

but I guess all my pics will be different sizing when they are done.

A friend of mine takes photos for nightclubs, he would have to use what you said.

There will be over a few hundred photos a night and to edit them all in 1 go...

"Batch resizing, watermarks, borders, renaming, ect ect" will come in handy for large amounts of pics.

Then all ready to upload to the nightclub website.

Adobe Lightroom is what I use...as I do weddings it is very good for batch processing, crop, resize and basic touch up. I now rarely touch Photoshop as a result unless I'm making a picture from scratch or massive PP.

Does RAW and a variety of conversion options.

edit: also comes in 64bit flavours.

Edited by mickey

Yeah LR is awesome - I do 80% of my PP in there

Must say I've done some tests on an 800px photo and even on high LR wont sharpen it as much as Irfanview

(When you have a photo open in irfanview Ctrl+S is sharpen, in batch you can specify a value from 0 to 100 - suspect a normal Ctrl+S does "20")

What do you mean Photoshop won't batch resize?!

1. If your photos are portrait orientated AND landscape orientated, seperate them so that one or the other doesn't get enlarged.

2. Create an action in photoshop to resize to XXXXXXXX size.

3. File --> Automate --> Batch

4. Run the batch with the resizing action.

5. Laugh.

As regards to sharpening, LR only uses ACR's engine to sharpen. Its really mainly only for capture sharpening. There is also on LR3 the option to enable capture sharpening, plus sharpen when in the "Develop" tab, and then an option when you export for "output sharpening".

I normally use PS to sharpen if need be with either smart sharpen or using a High pass.

To do a high pass, duplicate layer --> Filter --> Other --> high pass.

It will be a grey box. Turn the radius down/up so that you can just see the outlines of your image (it will look for edges i've found) so maybe around 2.0 or something. depends on your photo.

Press ok. Change blend mode to overlay/soft light/hard light.

i use VSO image resizer. mainly because its accesible from left click menu in explorer. dunno about raw etc

Yeah this is just what I was looking for - easy as & does RAW. Had a simliar left click one on XP, a windows powertoys app. Though can't get it for Vista-64.

Works very well and lossless quality for big images... Haven't tried LR. for anything I want to tinker with I'll still go via CS5

Thanks for the help :down: