SAU Community

Reckon The Rta Will Give Me An Exemption

jawrgy

Hey,

Trying to go for an exemption. Below is the letter im going to send in. Im a P2 license holder living in NSW and have 6 months left till my blacks. Just seeing if anyone can give thoughts on how to improve the letter or if they think this will fly?

To the RTA

I am writing to gain an exemption for a prohibited V6 vehicle to drive on my P2 license. Due to having my last application for an exemption not approved I was forced to turn down a job offer as a Real Estate Agent as a legal car and license was mandatory for the job. In search of income until I am able to gain my full license I am now self employed and need an exemption for the vehicle for employment purposes.

I have started my own Automotive Electrical business which services Imported cars. The main services of my business are electronic work within import cars. You can visit my website at:

I need an exemption to drive my car as it is the only means of transport I have to travel from job to job. I travel to the clients and service their cars at their locations and my Nissan Skyline is my only form of transportation. Public transport is not an option as I have a large amount of tools to carry around such as my soldering equipment and 3 tool boxes.

My car is also what I use to promote my business. Being an import itself I mainly focus on imported cars from Japan for work but also do work on other models that I am familiar with. I have had custom decals (stickers) placed on the car showing my business name, website and phone number. I have made some interior and electrical modifications to the car and also use it to promote my business in automotive competitions. I have the car registered to enter the Auto Salon show taking place in Sydney on November 20-21st. Taking the car to Eastern Creek Raceway is another place I take the car to promote my business as there are many car enthusiasts looking for workers. The car is in no way performance modified only aesthetically. I focus on interior, GPS, reverse cameras and sound nothing mechanically.

I need the car mainly during business hours to travel from job to job but will also be travelling on weekends to promote my car/business and gain work at Eastern Creek Raceway and other Auto events. The ABN number for the business is ******** and can be cross checked with the Australian Taxation Office. The business name is “**********”

The car is registered in my name, I am self employed now and I need to use the nominated prohibited vehicle for work. Without the means of vehicle transport and use of advertisement provided by the car I would be left unable to work and provide for myself as I am still attending university full time in the evenings.

Regards ************

The car is a 2004 350gt skyline, V6 (non turbo)

Edited by jawrgy

Do you even need an exemption for a v35? I didnt think you did???

Thats what i thought when i bought the car..... Its not on the list of prohibited v6 vehicles but listed on the rta website as a grey import and a variant of the the 350z. I even called the rta prior to purchasing the vehicle and they said it was NOT prohibited. Now im stuck with a car i cant drive.......

There seems to be a massive grey area with the Z34, V35 and V36. On the RTA website they are listed as examples of prohibited vehicles http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...itions_dl1.html , but on the actual list no mention is made http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...ered_6_list.pdf . The list itself hasn't been updated sinse like 2007!

EDIT

AFAIK, whatever the RTA put in their documents and on their website doesn't mean anything unless it is actually written into the legislation. If it isn't in the legislation then it isn't law :D

There seems to be a massive grey area with the Z34, V35 and V36. On the RTA website they are listed as examples of prohibited vehicles http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...itions_dl1.html , but on the actual list no mention is made http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...ered_6_list.pdf . The list itself hasn't been updated sinse like 2007!

EDIT

AFAIK, whatever the RTA put in their documents and on their website doesn't mean anything unless it is actually written into the legislation. If it isn't in the legislation then it isn't law :D

I dont think there is legislation that outlines which cars are not allowed. I think if its on the RTA website its law, although i still drive around with the list in the car in case a cop pulls me up ill just show him that its the most updated list and my car is not on it.

I dont think there is legislation that outlines which cars are not allowed. I think if its on the RTA website its law, although i still drive around with the list in the car in case a cop pulls me up ill just show him that its the most updated list and my car is not on it.

So in that regard a V36 350GT that has the same engine as a V35 350GT but is neither listed on the website OR the vehicle list is perfectly legal!

The RTA go and make you fill out a billion official documents just so you can be considered legal, surely they have the same amount for the things that are considered illegal.

I'l like to see how "but it's on the website" holds up in a court "laugh"

I'd be adding this near the vehicle desciption, "(Non turbo)"

Just to appease whoever may be reading it that it isn't actually a 400KW GTR.... if ya know what I mean?

idungeddit

The legislation actually says:

For the purposes of this clause, a "high performance vehicle" is a vehicle:

(e) that is listed for the time being in the Authority’s publication Novice Driver-High performance vehicle restrictions as a high performance vehicle for the purposes of this clause.

Which is this page:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...itions_dl1.html

So if it is specifically mentioned on that page(which it is) then it is the law.

Definitely mention it's a non turbo, and it wouldn't hurt to mention that you purchased this car and did the decals etc as you were under the impression that it was allowed to be driven on your P's but you have found out otherwise and want to be on the safe side by getting an exemption.

You pay $30? i think i apply for an exemption, mention as MUCH as possible. I'd include photos of the decals with your business etc on it, everything...

The legislation actually says:

For the purposes of this clause, a "high performance vehicle" is a vehicle:

(e) that is listed for the time being in the Authority's publication Novice Driver-High performance vehicle restrictions as a high performance vehicle for the purposes of this clause.

Which is this page:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...itions_dl1.html

So if it is specifically mentioned on that page(which it is) then it is the law.

But see its a shady area as it is not on the list. When you type in v6 prohibited vehicles on the rta search option it shows up with the PDF and the vehicle is not listed.

farken loving some of the advice "trust me", she'll be sweet, just do it, you won't get caught.

Are you guys for real?

jawrgy, mate i would bet my house that if it ever came to it, the RTA could easily argue it was on "a" list, and so you would be in the wrong.

Don't risk it as its your license on not those saying, yeah man drive it, who cares.

What i would add though, is maybe some screen shots of your search on the RTA website, which takes you to the list which doesn't have the V35 on it and add a copy of that list. Then add a paragraph saying this is the search you did on their website and if you had seen the car on their list you would have never bought it in the first place, as the car is a necessity as you've said and you've got no interest in breaking the law :P

Should probably mention that i have already applied for an exemption under reasoning of being misinformed. The reason they didnt give it was they would have to admit "they" were wrong. They wont update the list either because people in my situation will be able to automatically qualify for an exemption on the grounds of owning the car before the car was placed on the list.

I know my letter above has a slim chance but i got no choice but to continue to drive the car. I rarely drive at nights and only for work purposes in the day until i get my full license.

to add insult to inury as i lodged my form at the RTA the guy serving me was laughing at me for applying for an exemption for a v6. he didnt know it was on the list either.....

Fixt...