SAU Community

Brushed aluminium dash

Messiah

Hey all,

I'm currently looking at getting a brushed aluminium dash (well the bit than runs from the handbrake around the stereo and across the wheel) manufactured to fit my gtst. I'm looking to get one made because so far i cant seem to find any aftermarket ones on the net.... ok let me correct that... any Real brushed aluminium replacements... just synthetic veneers.

It looks like the materials will be pretty cheap, and i'm chatting to a guy about getting them bent to shape (prolly use my current bit as the template... makes sense).

I was wondering if there was anyone who's had it done and can comment on it.

Now unless i hear any major horror stories i'm gonna go get one made up, and if all goes and anyone is interested i was looking to see if anyone else would be interested in getting one too.

The chap i'm off to see tells me he might be able to put a better price on it if i get a few instead of waisting materials with a one off.

'd look sweet with a good metal shifter too.

any takers?

they are kinda complicated aren't they?..with many bends and folds and things. Would be hard to get one as good as the moulded plastic i'd imagine.. hence why they used plastic in the first place. If you could get a good one made up I'm sure you'd get a *hell* of a lot of people on this forum want to buy them though..

is that good or bad?? lol

it looked good when i was browsing them... now i'm not so sure... it could have meant veneer = wank.... or i wank over veneer, i'm siding with the first one.

i keep on getting flash's of the veneer peeling sometime

i keep on getting flash's of the veneer peeling sometime

uurrrmm... i mean cos of moisture..... Damn i mean humidity.... from like... uurrmm crap.

i regret saying "i come over veneer"... everything i type seems skewed now.

they are kinda complicated aren't they?..with many bends and folds and things. Would be hard to get one as good as the moulded plastic i'd imagine.. hence why they used plastic in the first place.

it's gonne be a matter of either careful folding, or making a mold and pressing apparently.

If its a cash if folding then hey its prolly gonna be a lone custom job, but if its a mold job... then hey... why waist a good mold

I was thinking about something like that for an R32; though with the stuff black-anodised. You'd think that a metalwork shop could make a copy from Aluminium if you gave them the original plastic one, right?

yes they could, but be prepaired to pay for it!

The fake stuff will start to peal after awhile i recon and it will look shit

it would cost shitload to make one out of aluminium, not only do you have to make the aircon vent holes, but it has to curve around the stereo and dash ect, then you need to make the clips that hold it in place. if someone can make it i would be very suprised. brushed aluminium is also easy to scratch, but you can jsut sand it and it will look normal again.

if i was you i would go for a aluminium laminex version that is accually made for the car. they are quite durable, i had a placecard thing for kitchen doors, and i tried scratching it ect and it was fairly strong.

also aluminium will heat up so quickly in the sun. my IMPUL gear knob shits me.