SAU Community

All You Young P Plater Skyline Owners..

Who payed for your Skyline?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

or, what if you happen to have a crash and smash into the back of a brand new merc because you took your eyes off the road for a split second and didn't see him hit the brakes and his insurance ran out and didn't realise. your few thousand dollars would barely cover the replacement of the badge, let alone the damage to your car.

hell what if you simply hit another P plater in a 34 who is the same as you? then you have to buy 2 new 34's.

or what about if you have a tyre fail, and you slam into a power pole and it has to be replaced? you do know that you can have to pay for that to be done, and that can be a few grand (know people who have had to pay). you can very quickly be out of pocket enough to pay for 10 years worth of insurance. in all the time i've had my licence i've probably spent close to 10k on insurance (had my licence for over 10 years now) and i've always had full comp and never made a claim. would i go back and change it to not having full comp? nope. i enjoying owning a car more knowing that if someone runs into me i don't have to worry about chasing them for money because the insurance company will do that and i won't be out of pocket.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying your premiums etc isn't going to fix your car if you damage it tho, 9 times out of ten the cost to fix your car if you have a small accident like wrecking a bumper is way cheaper than paying your excess to your insurer to fix it for you.

So, you pay $1500/2000 a year for full comp (p plater rates/under 25) and you have an accident, you then have to pay another $1000 (depending on modifications that bump up your excess) to get your car fixed so unless you have a really bad accident or the car you hit is an over priced euro bean can then its not always going to be worth it.

But like mad said, i would rather have full comp and be stress free when I'm driving my car.

Edited by R34 -_-

I think you guys have misunderstood me, I don't drive round with no insurance, but just basic 3rd party insurance in the off chance I run into something expensive as mad said.

It it worth paying $500 per year for full comp on your $30,000 car when your 40 and a safe driver for that ease of mind when your driving? Most people would say yes and I can definately see why.

How about paying $2000 a year for full comp on a car that only worth $10,000 though, or $300 on 3rd party (my exact circumstances)? Take into account your excess is probably going to be around $1500 so thats only $8.5k you might get. Then if I crash I'm probably gonna be able to part out my RB25DET engine+ gearbox + other bits if the damage isn't extreme, whereas the insurance company will own your wreck. Whats the difference at now? closer to $5,000, about what I have saved in insurance costs. Still worth it?

i enjoying owning a car more knowing that if someone runs into me i don't have to worry about chasing them for money because the insurance company will do that and i won't be out of pocket.

And I enjoy owning a car more knowing that even if some bogan writes my car off while drink driving on his way to buy nappies for his 15yr old gfs kid and then does a runner and I'm left out of pocket, I'm still ahead of the p plater that insured his car for protection from that very thing happening.

Full comp is a waste unless you plan on writing your car off IMO.

I agree. I mean, if your car is worth a bit (which, for some reason you all have awesome cars anyway), then you'd do it. In my case, I have a Nissan Exa (N13) and the excess would be worth the same price as my car.. it's just not worth it.

How about paying $2000 a year for full comp on a car that only worth $10,000 though, or $300 on 3rd party (my exact circumstances)? Take into account your excess is probably going to be around $1500 so thats only $8.5k you might get. Then if I crash I'm probably gonna be able to part out my RB25DET engine+ gearbox + other bits if the damage isn't extreme, whereas the insurance company will own your wreck. Whats the difference at now? closer to $5,000, about what I have saved in insurance costs. Still worth it?

Like Crackfox said.. the cut you get back is not really worth all the trouble! However, in cases over $12,000 it seems more pheesable to get full comp..

And I enjoy owning a car more knowing that even if some bogan writes my car off while drink driving on his way to buy nappies for his 15yr old gfs kid and then does a runner and I'm left out of pocket, I'm still ahead of the p plater that insured his car for protection from that very thing happening.

lol

Um crackfox, now you are done blowing your own trumpet about how much money you have,

Kinda step back and maybe read the news, how many accidents to you see where the car written off not the one at fault, So I say again what if someone wipes out your car and they have no insurance, think that your mate in the passenger seat is badly hurt. are you going to pay the thousands of dollars worth of medical bills?, or what if they decide to sue you for 37 million? sure you might have a few k in the bank, woopty fkn doo.

What if you havea stack, and break both your hips, do you have enough cash to pay for that? etc etc

I'm speaking from a Victorian perspective here - but doesn't personal injury get covered by TAC (or what ever your state equivelent is), therefore the very high registration rates?

I'm speaking from a Victorian perspective here - but doesn't personal injury get covered by TAC (or what ever your state equivelent is), therefore the very high registration rates?

In NSW you need to purchase the Third party insurance for injury seperate of Rego, so NSW gets reamed as far as rego fees go. My Gf's parents pay nearly $1k per year per car, while in Vic I pay $600.

i enjoying owning a car more knowing that if someone runs into me i don't have to worry about chasing them for money because the insurance company will do that and i won't be out of pocket.

+1

This is the only reason I have full comp insurance, because I'm lazy & cbf to do all the chasing myself if I get hit by some douche who doesn't have insurance at all (& I know plenty of people like that)... I like to pay for the convenience of having the insurance company chasing them up instead & for me this was worth it.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Fair enough if your car is worth little.. I personally think some people are stupid to own a skyline on their P's.. i waited until i was off.. Mind you though I wasted a stupidly amount of money doing up my VT.. But the high costs to insure a skyline on P's.. used to be 3K plus when I was P plater (so it has come down)

But maybe you should have stated that it depends on price of car as to whether full comp is worth it.. With mods done to car and being able to fully cover the replacement on all those items.. PLus being able to buy back the wreck and off sell those parts..

And QLD also has compulsory Third party (not property) to cover medical insurance.. But rego on the skyline is almost $800 which kinda sucks as I only drove it twice during that yr

Fair enough if your car is worth little.. I personally think some people are stupid to own a skyline on their P's.. i waited until i was off.. Mind you though I wasted a stupidly amount of money doing up my VT.. But the high costs to insure a skyline on P's.. used to be 3K plus when I was P plater (so it has come down)

But maybe you should have stated that it depends on price of car as to whether full comp is worth it.. With mods done to car and being able to fully cover the replacement on all those items.. PLus being able to buy back the wreck and off sell those parts..

And QLD also has compulsory Third party (not property) to cover medical insurance.. But rego on the skyline is almost $800 which kinda sucks as I only drove it twice during that yr

Most p plate skylines would be worth so little that to me its not viable to get full comp on p plates though. Pretty much anyone with non-gtr 32/33s as they can easily be picked up for 10k or less (which accounts for 60-70% of p platers with skylines?), even 34's which can be picked up with a little bit of change from 15k I wouldn't bother insuring. Also the $2k per year figure I was using was optimistic (since maybe non turbo ones have a bit lower insurance, and you are slightly older when you get your p's over east), best quote I got as a 17r old male with a r33 gtst valued at $8000 was $3650, with a $2000 excess.

Edited by Crackfox

im only paying 1800 full comp on my N/A R34... Just jumped on my green p's (got of the reds less then a month ago), had insurance for over a year now with just cars... but im 21, didnt get my license earlier due to too much partying when i was living in portugal! :P

Personnaly i wouldnt wanna go 3rd party cos of the hassle of chasing up stuff, plus the shit ive been slowly adding on to it like sound system, rims, etc... it all adds up and brings up the value of the car, well for me at least, i know when i sell it ill get bugger all probably...

But yeah, if you got a stock r32/33 that is worth less then 10g and you dont drive it on a daily basis, I would just get 3rd party.

But then again, if you save 1 or 2g on insurance to put towards mods, u r basically uping its value, so when you look at it, it will come to a point you will have to do it anyways if you love what you bought for it...

In the end it depends on the person, daily car or not, what you got in it and a bit of luck...

In NSW you need to purchase the Third party insurance for injury seperate of Rego, so NSW gets reamed as far as rego fees go. My Gf's parents pay nearly $1k per year per car, while in Vic I pay $600.

Insurance for third party injury is your greenslip in NSW and it's mandatory or you cant renew the rego. Greenslip usually costs me about 500 and rego i believe is in the mid 200s, i just see it as a 700 odd dollar package as im sure most people do.

On the original topic: IMO third party is a must have at minimum but comprehensive really pays off if someone else wrecks your car and has no insurance for whatever reason, or does a runner. Let your insurance chase up the at fault party and deal with repayments of $15 per pay packet while you get a new car.

Most p plate skylines would be worth so little that to me its not viable to get full comp on p plates though. Pretty much anyone with non-gtr 32/33s as they can easily be picked up for 10k or less (which accounts for 60-70% of p platers with skylines?), even 34's which can be picked up with a little bit of change from 15k I wouldn't bother insuring. Also the $2k per year figure I was using was optimistic (since maybe non turbo ones have a bit lower insurance, and you are slightly older when you get your p's over east), best quote I got as a 17r old male with a r33 gtst valued at $8000 was $3650, with a $2000 excess.

$11,400 for my non-turbo R33.

For me, that's a little shy of half my yearly paycheck. And when you account fuel costs, car parts, bullshit government charges and even worst insurance charges... There's little left to actually use to grab a burger from maccas here or there.

For me, personally, if insurance on my baby was $1000 for full comprehensive, I'd pay it. I couldn't afford to leave the house for over three months, but I'd pay it.