SAU Community

About The Xenon Light And Workshop

mrfai

Hi everyone

can anyone tell me where can i get cheap xenon light bumb.

And I find that my car is losing power by some reason. Is there any workshop in sydney doing a good price to only check what happen to my stagea.

I rang up E&M motor which I got my stagea from, and they said $110 to only check the problem :P

Hi everyone

can anyone tell me where can i get cheap xenon light bumb.

And I find that my car is losing power by some reason. Is there any workshop in sydney doing a good price to only check what happen to my stagea.

I rang up E&M motor which I got my stagea from, and they said $110 to only check the problem :unsure:

Good price is not the point - you want someone who knows what they are doing. Give Yavuz a ring at Unigroup Engineering

Does anyone know what I need to do to pass a RWC test if I have the factory xenons?

Do I need to take them out and put halo's in? Is it easy?

My factory Xenon's passed Vic RWC without any problems... :whistling:

My factory Xenon's passed Vic RWC without any problems... :whistling:

Swwwwweeet!

hang on is that dependant on the tester? cos when I got a RWC for my MAzda 3 which I just sold, it had an aftermarket HID kit fitted and of course I had to take out the globes to pass.

The M35 doesn't have auto levelers and washers from what I can see...or do they?

Swwwwweeet!

hang on is that dependant on the tester? cos when I got a RWC for my MAzda 3 which I just sold, it had an aftermarket HID kit fitted and of course I had to take out the globes to pass.

The M35 doesn't have auto levelers and washers from what I can see...or do they?

RWC in NSW with factory Xenons all OK. My M35 has level adjustment via switch/knob so not automatic levelling. Is it supposed to be automatic to be legal? And what's that about washers?

Auto leveling and washers are basically manditory for Xenons in all markets except Japan... That's why they are not legal under the ADRs and why they are supposed to be changed during compliance. Compliance is basically remaking the car to ADR specs... This used to include impact bars in the doors and the moving the steering wheel on LHD cars.

But RWC is looking at the lights from a brightness and aiming point of view, hence why they generally will pass.

you can buy some cheap replacement globes off ebay. size wise you need to look for D2S or D2R - but the quality will be suspect - you'll get what you pay for. given that the C34 especially does not have a projector lens setup, but instead a reflector bowl - things like bulb integrity and shape are going to be crucial to giving an accurate light output that doesn't spray out in the wrong directions.

so if i were looking at getting some replacements, i'd go to

www.theretrofitsource.com and buy some of their morimoto globes, or even better, their phillips globes. you'll pay a bit more, but nowhere near manufacturer prices, for better than factory globes. may as well strike with the USD is on your side also! i've ordered a lot of stuff from these guys and they are excellent to deal with and the postage is fast.

temperature wise, your best bet is a 5300k globe. it gives the strongest output and a pure white light. factory globes will be around 4300k, but if they are the original globes, then the colour will have shifted over time and can easily get above 7000k.....which only leads to a weak output and a overly purple tinge. go 5300k and you'll think someone has turned on the sun!

Auto leveling and washers are basically manditory for Xenons in all markets except Japan... That's why they are not legal under the ADRs and why they are supposed to be changed during compliance. Compliance is basically remaking the car to ADR specs... This used to include impact bars in the doors and the moving the steering wheel on LHD cars.

But RWC is looking at the lights from a brightness and aiming point of view, hence why they generally will pass.

Actually the US doesn't have auto leveling or washers either. Pity we don't follow their lead.

You're a little off on your info there - a RWC is to make sure that the car is roadworthy AND meets ADRs. The two go hand-in-hand.

If anyone passes with xenons in an M35, it's purely because you got lucky with the inspector, not because you're allowed to have them there.

As for colour temperature, stick between 4000K and 6000K, as people have already mentioned.

yeh, not RWC - and will cop you a defect notice if you get a particularly friend cunstable pull you over.

i've still got the factory Xenon's in my C34 - and i love them - the cutoff is nowhere near as sharp as a car with a focused projector lens - but its not bad.

i'm so glad the compliance people didn't hack up the wiring and housings - i've heard nightmare stories.

my next mod is going to be 4000k HID's in the high beams run off relays, and i'm going to mount the fog lights in the outer openings on the Dayz front bar and fit those with 4000k globes.

just checked theretrofitsource - 90 bucks for top of the line phillips globes - money well spent IMHO!

have you tried to pass and failed?

if not, i'd just have a go at getting through with them - and if they knock you back, then we'll cross that bridge. won't cost you any more and you won't get in trouble.

to get them running on halogen globes you need to bypass the ballast, so pick up the wiring behind the ballasts, and run new wiring into the back of the new globes.

you could do it very temporarily by just splicing some wire connectors onto the stock wiring and straight onto the back of a globe, secure it in the headlight housing by whatever means, blu-tack etc - pass the RWC and then put the original globes back in. that'd be what i would do.

Actually the US doesn't have auto leveling or washers either. Pity we don't follow their lead.

You're a little off on your info there - a RWC is to make sure that the car is roadworthy AND meets ADRs. The two go hand-in-hand.

If anyone passes with xenons in an M35, it's purely because you got lucky with the inspector, not because you're allowed to have them there.

As for colour temperature, stick between 4000K and 6000K, as people have already mentioned.

Thanks for that didn't know about the US... Same as Japan I assume, developed for local market only.. The Euro's are paranoid about glare from dirt and missalignment, well that is the official excuse under EU regs..

With the RWC, I did not think that the testers would actually have to look for real xenons (gas discharge) vs xenon gassed conventional bulbs and that is now people are getting away with it. I know that they have a some data that they need to check, like brake dimensions (had to tell them to compare my M35 as a 350Z when I got mine done) but was not sure about the bulbs. Will be more careful in future with RWC garages...

Just as an interest thing...

Obviously the ADR's are a national level thing... But with the RWCs or equivalent in each state, are they the same? Being that they are state based rather than national?

all cars driven on australian roads need to apply with ADR's - that is why when non-domestic market vehicles go to be registered that must pass through 'compliancing'.

a RWC is state based yes, but they inspect the vehicle from a perspective that it complies with ADR's as well as state government legislation, as each state has their own finnicky little interpretations of the rules.

For example, for ride height, Vic is 100mm at the lowest point of the vehicle, where as SA has some vehicle specific centre of the hub to gaurd measurement to determine legal ride height.

basically, a RWC cert just says 'yes it complies with ADRs, yes it is safe, and yes it is legal to be on the road'.

^^that's pretty much it. They're trying to streamline it to a national set of roadworthy standards, but getting the states to agree is like trying to herd cats.

I reckon converting factory xenon headlights to halogens is stupid and downright dangerous, I always put the factory ones back in once the cars are on the road. Keep an eye out for a column on this topic in next month's (I think!) FF&R magazine...