SAU Community

No More Asuka .. Now What?

Hi guys, since Asuka tuners are no longer available, im trying to track down a worthy contender.

Seems to be nothing out there that compares.. They are either crap quality or dont have the usb mp3/mp4 function...

My CD player left speaker problem is getting worse so need to do something..

Has anyone tried ebay crap like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/770-New-Car-DVB-T-T...=item3caecf88b4

cheers

Edited by projectx

Hi guys, since Asuka tuners are no longer available, im trying to track down a worthy contender.

Seems to be nothing out there that compares.. They are either crap quality or dont have the usb mp3/mp4 function...

cheers

Tom, the sound fading out on left side speaker is an internal issue, not a CD player's. Mine is the same too. Have a read on V35 FAQ by Chris Rogers (Electronic Issues section).

Good luck.

Edited by Victor.T

Tom, the sound fading out on left side speaker is an internal issue, not a CD player's. Mine is the same too. Have a read on V35 FAQ by Chris Rogers (Electronic Issues section).

Good luck.

thanks mate

yeah i know.. dry joints on one of the board or something.. I just said CD player because its in the head unit itself right?

Im not in the mood for hacking into my dash board to get it out and send it off... Shame such a good unit is let down by this little problem, but then again, it would be heaps better controlling your Mp3's via the factory screen.. Im looking forward to that but just need to find a decent tv tuner that has this function..

Last night i made up a cable to the factory tuner so no i can use my phone for mp3's through aux.. This is just a temporary solution though..

I have some tv tuners that i imported from china but they dont work in NZ i believe they have the correct specs for australia and may work so if your intrested you can try one

NZ uses a better system than you lot using mpeg4 decoding h264 and the uhf version of it doesnt cover that much of the country yet.

austingtirATyahoo.com.au If your intrested.

thanks mate

yeah i know.. dry joints on one of the board or something.. I just said CD player because its in the head unit itself right?

Im not in the mood for hacking into my dash board to get it out and send it off... Shame such a good unit is let down by this little problem, but then again, it would be heaps better controlling your Mp3's via the factory screen.. Im looking forward to that but just need to find a decent tv tuner that has this function..

Last night i made up a cable to the factory tuner so no i can use my phone for mp3's through aux.. This is just a temporary solution though..

No worries Tom.

I don't know much about aftermarket head units and stuffs, but try contacting Brian Wallis at Autotainment (9470 4233). He already did a few conversion on other V owners, and he did a good job for them.

Edited by Victor.T

No worries Tom.

I don't know much about aftermarket head units and stuffs, but try contacting Brian Wallis at Autotainment (9470 4233). He already did a few conversion on other V owners, and he did a good job for them.

awesome thanks, ill give him a go..

cheers

Hi Tom

I can get Asuka HR3 tuners. I've been chasing them for a while and, of course, they will need to be bought in a quantity.

I've been waiting to hear fron Simon (Chook) who organised the last few batches (if fact I bought his very last one) to see if he's interested in getting involved as I'm not overly keen but he might be away as I've had no reply. Or he's totally over the whole thing :dry:

Before I had a reply from the Asuka dealer, I made contact with a heap of Chinese suppliers and weeded the crap from the less crap and have a sample of a tuner on it's way to me to test. It supposedly has the same specs as the Asuka HR3, including being able to play movies through the USB port (unconfirmed if you can record TV to the USB though) plus it has a HDMI output for the Hi-Def screen you've always wanted to run in the back :P

How it all stacks up against the Asuka remains to be seen but it will be cheaper to buy so could be great value, or it could be a piece of junk.

So now that you've asked the question I may as well gauge the response of forum members. Should I go ahead with an order for more Asuka tuners?

The cost can't be determined accurately as freight is unknown but they should still be available for around $270 and posted out in Aust shouldn't cost more than $15 surely?

If enough people are interested (15+) I will order them. If you were involved sometime previously and want to help distribute these in you local area, please contact me.

Cheers

Leon.

PS. Tom, if you want a HR3 straight away, you can have mine as it's still new in the box. I've not had time nor oppurtunity to install it yet. Just PM me for details.

Due to the fact that there are now so many dodgy cheap dvb-t tuners swamping the market, we need to be careful of the false claims some units are offering.

If you want to have "watchable" tv you need a diversity capable unit, period. If it's got only one antenna input forget it!

If it has 2 inputs and claims diversity you need to find out what chips are used to control it and what "type" of diversity.

MRC (Maximum Ratio Combining) diversity is what you need, as this uses all antennas together. Yes the asukas have MRC, that's one major reason why they were good.

Doppler compensation is a bonus, this is a ic specific capability.

At the moment Dibcom chips are quite good, I think the 9090 is their latest chip and it's highly recommended.

It's not much advice but at least gives you some things to look for as units these days seem to be a Jack off all kinda trash.

PS. Tom, if you want a HR3 straight away, you can have mine as it's still new in the box. I've not had time nor oppurtunity to install it yet. Just PM me for details.

Leon thanks for your reply, Id like to take you up on this offer.. How much you chasing for the HR3? (PM me)

Im not too keen on buying in bulk at the moment because im fairly new to the scene.. But the ones your looking at sound like they might be decent. Let me know how you go with the test unit and if you need help making up the numbers, i might still grab a few.

cheers

Due to the fact that there are now so many dodgy cheap dvb-t tuners swamping the market, we need to be careful of the false claims some units are offering.

If you want to have "watchable" tv you need a diversity capable unit, period. If it's got only one antenna input forget it!

If it has 2 inputs and claims diversity you need to find out what chips are used to control it and what "type" of diversity.

MRC (Maximum Ratio Combining) diversity is what you need, as this uses all antennas together. Yes the asukas have MRC, that's one major reason why they were good.

Doppler compensation is a bonus, this is a ic specific capability.

At the moment Dibcom chips are quite good, I think the 9090 is their latest chip and it's highly recommended.

It's not much advice but at least gives you some things to look for as units these days seem to be a Jack off all kinda trash.

Yeah i spent ages sifting through ebay crap.. Most of them only had one antenna input and a crappy roof mounted antenna. I think the receptions actually pretty good in my area so fingers crossed with a HR3 or similar ill be watching koshi and (idiot) mel on the way to work soon.. :P --- sorry for the mel fans (if there is any)

Leon thanks for your reply, Id like to take you up on this offer.. How much you chasing for the HR3? (PM me)

Im not too keen on buying in bulk at the moment because im fairly new to the scene.. But the ones your looking at sound like they might be decent. Let me know how you go with the test unit and if you need help making up the numbers, i might still grab a few.

cheers

Hi Tom, PM sent.

Georgio (and others), everyone is completely correct in what you are saying. I don't know much about the chipsets that these untested units are using, but dual (diversity) inputs would be neccessary.

Most of the stuff available on fleabay and other places is not good enough but I'm hopeful that this new unit will be equivalent to the Asuka HR3. If it isn't, we'll just have to get more of the Asuka model in.

Cheers, Leon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its in.. I have a couple of questions..

Factory antenna... there is two grey plugs going into the factory tuner. Are both of these for the antennas or just one? Reason i ask, they are slightly different. One of them has two fat cables coming out and the other has one fat one skinny. I just want to confirm this before i butcher the second one..

I only used one of the plugs (the one with the 2 fat cables) and made the ends into antenna plugs that fit the asuka. This must be wrong because im getting pretty much no reception..

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to hook up the factory antennas to the asuka.. (v35 style, stag is different i think)

thanks

Well its in.. I have a couple of questions..

Factory antenna... there is two grey plugs going into the factory tuner. Are both of these for the antennas or just one? Reason i ask, they are slightly different. One of them has two fat cables coming out and the other has one fat one skinny. I just want to confirm this before i butcher the second one..

I only used one of the plugs (the one with the 2 fat cables) and made the ends into antenna plugs that fit the asuka. This must be wrong because im getting pretty much no reception..

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to hook up the factory antennas to the asuka.. (v35 style, stag is different i think)

thanks

Hey Tom, I'm glad it got to you OK but sorry you are having problems getting it to work. Yeah, my M35 sounds different to your V. Can you post a pic so we can offer some ideas?

Cheers, Leon.

Hey Tom, I'm glad it got to you OK but sorry you are having problems getting it to work. Yeah, my M35 sounds different to your V. Can you post a pic so we can offer some ideas?

Cheers, Leon.

You will need get some aftermarket antennas to get it working the v35 factory ones dont pick up here.

The video's + music part is up and running and very good. Tonights job is to clean up the mess of cables and mount the thing.. Id be interested to see how others have mounted them in the V's.. Ill post some pics of the antenna plugs tonight..

When you say v35 factory ones dont pick up here.. Is that due to being crap or different system all together?

I was fairly certain id get some kind of picture with the factory ones since the reception in my area is really good. I could run my house TV's off rabbit ears (with DTV) no problem at all.. This is what makes me think i have hooked it up wrong.. I want to give the factory ones a chance before i order after market ones.. Even thought ill probably end up going down that path..

The video's + music part is up and running and very good. Tonights job is to clean up the mess of cables and mount the thing.. Id be interested to see how others have mounted them in the V's.. Ill post some pics of the antenna plugs tonight..

When you say v35 factory ones dont pick up here.. Is that due to being crap or different system all together?

I was fairly certain id get some kind of picture with the factory ones since the reception in my area is really good. I could run my house TV's off rabbit ears (with DTV) no problem at all.. This is what makes me think i have hooked it up wrong.. I want to give the factory ones a chance before i order after market ones.. Even thought ill probably end up going down that path..

Ok, there are 2 plugs. One has a cable pair both fat and other plug with a pair fat and thin. The furthest plug from unit is the pair with fat and thin. The Fat is an aerial and it should work. Trust me I have it running. The thin one is used for power when the tv selection is made from your console. When switching back to cd or radio the 12v feed is switched off. More than likely it is for gain. Feed it with 12v when your receiver is switched on and that should do you for one good aerial.

The second plug, one with 2 thick cables are also aerials as their connections on the isdbt pcb board have ant3 ant4 printed. I tested one briefly and didn't get anything so I need to test further and trace where they go in the car.

Edited by Bolaris

There is this, but it is a little pricey.

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p211765773

The quad diversity tuners are VERY expensive. There is one produced by das called das-m42 and it is pretty much second to none but it's around 700 euro.

Edited by Bolaris