SAU Community

Bent Chassis

Gts4_76

What do they mean by "both back chassis" ?

Do they mean the chassis and the rear subframe?

Was the car in some kind of accident?

the left and right back chassis

not that i know of but its a car that has been around

for quite sometime so not to sure.

but it needs to have this done to get the defect of !

Hmm yeah still not really understanding what part of the car is bent - if it's just the chassis then it wouldn't stop you from clearing a defect.

If the rear wheels are completely out of alignment because the suspension arms or subframe is bent, or the suspension towers are out of alignment due to a bent chassis then maybe that's it.

Can you take a photo of what is bent?

I'm guessing by chassis he means chassis rails (there are two of them so "both" makes sense, whereas there's only one chassis)

They often get bent by some monkey using them as a jacking point. Mine arent too flash - i just ignore it.....

So for the OP, i suggest you ignore it.

if hes talking sill panels - no its not. the sills are $1k outright as I have literally JUST done it. then you pay someone to cut/refit/paint the things. if its the rear subframe then thats another story as thats part of the rear floor (I'm assuming yours is a 2 door.) and that gets nasty as the whole car has to come apart for that.

got pix?

I'm assuming the rear of both chassis rails then.

Have you had any mate follow you to see if the car is 'crabbing'?

Tell the panelbeater and he can decide with you to either

a) put the car on a rack as Marc suggested or

b) cut and resection the rails or

c) drill the rails > insert a thread and pull the compressed parts back into shape

Even if nothing needs to be replaced $1800 is noth that bad since they need to strip everything out from under the car to put it on a jig, i believe they need to strip the front as well since the front needs to line up with the back.

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard all the details yet, but from what my mechanic said the panel beaters had to take all the back seats out and bash everything back into place

not to sure if they have re-welded or even can strengthen them will find out in a few weeks the car still has a bit of work to go yet, and a defect to get of for a boost gauge on the steering coloum

was a tad harsh i thought!

so they were mucking around with part 74512 and 74514? dumb question time. when you bough the car did you get it checked for structual damage. if the rails were bent on it I'm surprised it wasn't chewing tyres or the like.

post-2209-0-21057700-1295002813_thumb.jpg

i must say the car has prob had a hard life with the guys that owned it before me, i think i have hit a few curbs in my time which on top of whatever damage was

there before hand must have made it worse, atleast i will be more cautious when i get it back to drive again! Ive had the car for like ^ years slowly building it up,

as it never really chewed up tyres when i used to be able to drive. even though i aint been able to drive it for quite sometime now!