SAU Community

Compressor Wheel To4

cyruss r33

Hi I'm new here.kinda new with the whole turbo thing. I'm tring to find out if i can change my compressor wheel for a later model t04. I changed my turbo that had a f**ked oil seal and the one i put on has a ceremic comp wheel. the old one has a alloy one with like 2 blades off a series 2 r34. It looks like i can. just thought id ask.

And the rest - a turbo is a combination of compressor and turbine wheels.

Changing one could had averse effects - sounds like you have a old donkey T04E and you wanna swap wheels to something newer... which is pointless.

Buy a new turbo.

And the rest - a turbo is a combination of compressor and turbine wheels.

Changing one could had averse effects - sounds like you have a old donkey T04E and you wanna swap wheels to something newer... which is pointless.

Buy a new turbo.

yeah bought a new turbo but its got a ceramic comp wheel. the one off my old pump was alloy just thought the aloy one woulld be stronger

yeah bought a new turbo but its got a ceramic comp wheel. the one off my old pump was alloy just thought the aloy one woulld be stronger

You are correct in assuming this my good man, however ash is right, you shouldn't really mix and match components unless you have the data to support the modification :)

You are correct in assuming this my good man, however ash is right, you shouldn't really mix and match components unless you have the data to support the modification :)

yeah i just thought. if they were the same turbos both off a rb25det just different series that they maybe coulld be a straight swap.

Dude you have your terminology all wrong.

The front/cold side wheel is the compressor wheel, thats on the 'silver' side of the turbo that the intercooler piping connects to, and the turbine or hotside/rear wheel is located on the other side, routed in the exhaust.

No, you can't chop and change parts of a turbo, the best you can do for an upgrade is put a different exhaust housing on, for example I have a GT2860rs garrett turbo, and it's got a .64 A/R (small) housing on the exhaust side, and I'm upgrading to a (larger) .86 A/R housing. In short, it's a better flowing housing that makes more power in the higher rev range.

If you were to put a new compressor wheel on, you'd need to modify or fit a new compressor housing and get the rotating assembly balanced too, and this would allow the turbo to make more power at the same boost level. Slightly more laggier, because the bigger wheel has more rotational intertia (i.e. needs more energy from the exhaust to make it move), but the up-side is the bigger wheel moves more air, and more air + more fuel = more power. But if you already have a small rear housing on the turbo, you'll be fighting a loosing battle, because the engine can only flow as much air as the exhaust can flow out.

In short, save your effort and money, and just upgrade the whole turbo...

p.s. real men don't smoke rubber, real men don't drive like wankers on the road.