SAU Community

What Is The Correct Oil Filter For Gtr R34

NISSAN GTR

I had a bit of a search but nothing revealed :

On my old GTR R32 when i did an oil change i always used a RYCO Z145a oil filter

In the Ryco catalogue is says GTR R32 1989 only, nothing about R34 GTR

The question is now that i have an R34 GTR , what is the correct filter to use ??????? Thanks for your Help

R32 and R33 GTR it's the Z145a, but Nissan switched to a smaller filter (probably to cut costs) with the R34.. the closest Ryco filter I know is Z442 which is slightly smaller in diameter and height (in comparison to the Z145a)

Z442 is the best way to go.

The 145a is a right pain in the ass to fit,as you cant grab it properly to do it up. And to remove itto the proximity of the front diff breather and other hoses and wires located around the filter make it a pain of an experience.

R32 and R33 GTR it's the Z145a, but Nissan switched to a smaller filter (probably to cut costs) with the R34.. the closest Ryco filter I know is Z442 which is slightly smaller in diameter and height (in comparison to the Z145a)

thats interesting i have the z145a on my 34

Technically if you took your R32 or R33 to a Nissan Dealership for a service they would most likely put a Z442 on anyway (not sure if Nissan still have their version of the Z145a made)

Awesome thumbsup.gif

While genuine R34 is the smaller unit - I've opted for the R33/32 larger oil filter unit. I figure bigger surface area for better performance outweighs the headf**k of changing it.

I change mine every 5,000kms using Kendall GT oil.

Cars are to be driven ....

Technically if you took your R32 or R33 to a Nissan Dealership for a service they would most likely put a Z442 on anyway (not sure if Nissan still have their version of the Z145a made)

Nissan definitely still have their version made... i listed the genuine part number above.

While genuine R34 is the smaller unit - I've opted for the R33/32 larger oil filter unit. I figure bigger surface area for better performance outweighs the headf**k of changing it.

I change mine every 5,000kms using Kendall GT oil.

Cars are to be driven ....

Why did NISSAN change from the Z145A to the Z442 is it purely size , i thought a bigger filter - more flow / better performance ?

• 2 weeks later...

Why did NISSAN change from the Z145A to the Z442 is it purely size , i thought a bigger filter - more flow / better performance ?

The 34 GTR RB26 motors have different oil flow rates, according to nissan.Thats why they changed to the smaller, easier oil filter

• 7 months later...

I bought a 15208-53J0A for my 98 34 GT-t. It has on it a Z145A. Are the two of those filters different, with regard to thread and gasket size? I know that they're different in unit size, but will my new genuine Nissan 15208-53J0A fit my Neo, or am I gonna have to go for a run to Repco to get another Z145A?

Cheers!

• 5 years later...

Old topic I know but just a bit of extra information if this discussion is still valid for anyone.

Z145A and Z442 are completely interchangeable. Thread is the same and regardless of the size difference the oil seal is the exact same size and in the exact same position. 

I'm not sure why Nissan changed it on the R34 but I can confirm that a smaller oil filter on an engine increases oil pressure while larger oil filters lower it.