SAU Community

Petrol Consumption

jawrgy

Since I bought my v35 coupe in September i have been filling it up with the top unleaded. So shell 98 etc, I would get around 300-320km per tank. I know that is crap for such a modern car so I was going to take it in for a service to get things checked out.(by the way that's just pure city driving, top speed i hit is maybe 80 and then im speeding =P), One day the Pump only had standard unleaded and driving as I normally do i reset my speedo to keep track, i got 450km!!!!!!!. The next time i filled up i did the same thing with the standard unleaded and got 480km, without altering my driving patterns at all.

So what I want to ask is, what are the benefits of using premium unleaded over standard when i gain an extra 140km. In the long term how does premium fuel help my car if it burns so quickly.

Iv found the same thing here in NZ on shell 96 i get significantly better mileage than bp98.

I was running bp and gull 98 now i only run shell the fuel economy is alot better.

It amazed me aswell as its quite a big difference.

All of my driving was 120-130kph 350kms at a time so not start stop. And all pretty similar driving on each different fuel

Edited by austingtir

• 2 weeks later...

Ok tested again. At the moment after filling up with 91 unleaded from shell i have driven 64km and my trip computer reads 444km remaining. Think i will be sticking to unleaded 91.

nice way to kill the engine.. if you ever get up it with 91 it will ping the shit out of the engine.

i get 550km to a tank on BP ultimate in mine. id suggest finding out what the problem is instead of a bandaid fix by using shit fuel.

PS who even uses shell these days anyways. there the worst

• Like 1

^^ Rubbish. They will run perfectly fine on 91. And my testing shows me shell is better (on my particular car) here in NZ.... Simple as that. I also just did a 91 tank.... i wont be going back to 96 or 98 ever.

All the american g35's can run their 89 octane which is pretty similar to our 91 i believe..... seriously some people talk some crap.

Edited by austingtir

u must drive it like a fairy then. cos they ping on low octane.

g35drive all the treads if read they all use/recommend high octane (especially in manuals).

owners manual say to use it. AFAIK not using it voids warranty?(stand to be corrected tho) not that it matters now cos there all out of warranty

Edited by GeNOS

+1 on posts replies from genos, specIally shell fuel, worst fuel, maybe try running it on e and then use a injector cleaner (maybe a bit more than it says on the bottle) and topping it up with 98, iv got a coupe the highest km I got was close to 700 out of a tank usually I get 500 to 600. BTW I only fill up at The same servo all the time and never when there getting refilled.

Edited by ezy03

ok well i tried on 91 fuel today and i can say that the car feels a lot faster ....NOT

my car felt as sluggish as a snail, i think that the ecu was trying to compensate for the lower ron by retarding the timing. True that it will not blow up ur engine...in fact unless ur running very2 lean..i doubt that this will happen, but the ecu will definitely retard the timing to compensate ...therefore maybe giving the impression of better fuel economy. seriously if i was overly concerned with fuel economy, i would much rather do an lpg conversion than run 91ron permanently.

besides 98ron here is the equivalent of pulp in j4pan.

balls for trying, no idea why you would, i tell my bro when he is in my car using it when hes driving without me to call me before he even gets close to a petrol station so i can tell him were to fill up and to put in.

ok well i tried on 91 fuel today and i can say that the car feels a lot faster ....NOT

my car felt as sluggish as a snail, i think that the ecu was trying to compensate for the lower ron by retarding the timing. True that it will not blow up ur engine...in fact unless ur running very2 lean..i doubt that this will happen, but the ecu will definitely retard the timing to compensate ...therefore maybe giving the impression of better fuel economy. seriously if i was overly concerned with fuel economy, i would much rather do an lpg conversion than run 91ron permanently.

besides 98ron here is the equivalent of pulp in j4pan.

Im not going to argue that there may or may not be a slight performance loss the americans seem to think 10hp is likely.

Iv been very happy with my latest fuel bills and the mileage im getting from a tank.... thats all that matters to me.

These cars are not M3's or GTR's and you guys are kidding yourselves if you think the engine is highly strung like the cars i just mentioned.

If i want to go fast ill drive my turbo cars.

A 10hp difference to me after my previous experience with cars is nothing.

Edited by austingtir

it's not about the hp loss....but our cars are heavy and well ..slow even

but the minute it retards timing, u can feel it bog down on launches. anyway i'm glad i tried this and know for a fact that my particular car doesn't like the low ron diet.

Guys Guys Guys...

Our cars are tune to run on 95 octane. Runnning them on 91 will not help the engine in the long run. Using 95 or higher is the right thing to do.

P.S our cars have a commen problem with the fuel needle sometimes showing empty when we have a 1/4 tank left.

We all have the potential to get over 800km in the Coupe and make 900km in the Gt8.

Im not going to argue that there may or may not be a slight performance loss the americans seem to think 10hp is likely.

Iv been very happy with my latest fuel bills and the mileage im getting from a tank.... thats all that matters to me.

These cars are not M3's or GTR's and you guys are kidding yourselves if you think the engine is highly strung like the cars i just mentioned.

If i want to go fast ill drive my turbo cars.

A 10hp difference to me after my previous experience with cars is nothing.

its got nothing to do with HP...

Guys Guys Guys...

Our cars are tune to run on 95 octane. Runnning them on 91 will not help the engine in the long run. Using 95 or higher is the right thing to do.

P.S our cars have a commen problem with the fuel needle sometimes showing empty when we have a 1/4 tank left.

We all have the potential to get over 800km in the Coupe and make 900km in the Gt8.

i fill mine up around the 500to530km mark (i set the odometer every time i fill up) which is about 30km after the light comes on. and usually put in around 60 to 64liters. the tanks are 20gal (75L) so theres still 10L to go. at 12km per L = 120km left

G day all,

I have just started driving my new V. I did 500ks and filled it to the brim before and after. It took 52L that is close enough to 10L/100. This trip was driving fairly hard on open road at 130kmh and passing up to 160. This was using BP ultimate so I don't think you can beat it.

I'm going to put this out there... my RB25DE get's 500km roughly from just less than a full tank of fuel.

I go to a united petrol station, I use the 98 octane, but it's got a little ethanol in it.

It costs me $60-65 per top up, and I'm probably filling up 5 times a month.

I'd recommend finding a place that has good fuel, and sticking to them. If their fuel gives you problems, you can complain about it.

Not only that, but I concur with what's been said; stick to the 95+, don't ever put low-octane + ethanol (e10, 91 + ethanol, etc.), you'll feel the difference.

Get the thing looked at by a good, reputable mechanic. Make sure he goes over the computers and if needs be, try get a tune for it.

• 11 years later...

I know this is way down the track- Im not even sure if I posted before, but this may help any new comers because I’m shocked at how little some guys know about their cars when they buy them.

1. Car is designed for 95 Octane Only/ Or Above. I only run 98 and you do notice a small difference both in Mileage about 8% & bit better response. Running 91 could ruin your engine DONT do it.

2. The fuel tank is 80litres NOT 65 or 70. I have filled over 75litres or more when pushed. The fuel consumption meter is excellent & I always know down to the last l exactly whats going into the car (basic maths).

3. When the car was fairly new 14,000-80,000klm. I regularly got 8.5 to 8.8 klm per Litre in the city. On the highway I regularly got 12.25-12.75klm/L on the highway. I did Syd/Mel 834klm on 69.34l. 12 yrs later & over 150,000 the average is about 7.5-7.7klm/l city and about 11.5 on the highway

Mine is a 2005 series 2, 6 speed manual. (Autos are very similar Im told)

Edited by ELFGT350