SAU Community

gilmer drive set for GTR

mate if you bring them to show and shine and it works on your car i will buy 2 sets on the spot...

ylw mate i did some work in a shop makin carbon, if you show us all how to make a home made vacumm and oven for true carbon fibre construction then i will bow down to the master...its the most frustrating and money hungry sh.it in the world the old carbon fibre...

also make sure there is a detailed post for all of us to make our dry sumps mate... your a legg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warpspeed i have already done this modification, not by choice stupid stereo installer clowns! kinda fixed now but yeah i think wires were a bit too close to alternator and was fortunate enough to have a gilmor belt driven stereo! :-)

Hehe yes 25GTT it does make a similar sound doesn't it.

I have had several supercharged cars with toothed blower belt drive and know that it is not a simple thing. Trying to convince yourself that it is more efficient and "makes power" is bullshit.

If you do some research you will find conventional vee groove pulleys are around 92% to 95% efficient depending on power transmitted, belt tension, and belt speed. If your alternator and waterpump takes say three horsepower to drive, the belt loss is going to be around 5% or 0.15 Hp.

If you discover a 100 % efficient drive that extra 0.15 Hp is really going to make your car haul some ass at the saturday night drags, eh !

Toothed belts

Advantages

* Efficiency is high

* Lower belt tension is required (less bearing load)

* Efficiency does not depreciate significantly over life

* No slip (important if the items need to be synchronised)

Disadvantages

* Cost

* Noise

* Transmission of shock loading

Vee Belts can have comparable efficiency. The problem is that this efficiency can be substantially decreased with improper installation and maintenance is not correct.

Most of these are industrial considerations.

mate if you bring them to show and shine and it works on your car i will buy 2 sets on the spot...

ylw mate i did some work in a shop makin carbon,  if you show us all how to make a home made vacumm and oven for true carbon fibre construction then i will bow down to the master...its the most frustrating and money hungry sh.it in the world the old carbon fibre...

also make sure there is a detailed post for all of us to make our dry sumps mate... your a legg

hehehe here is my vacumm formed tail lamp surrounds...unfortunately when they were made i didnt take pics of the process.....ofcourse they are home made outta the shed :rolleyes:...i will be making the breather pipes on the valve cover next,but it will be a male mould so it wont have as much educational value :P....look out for the valve and sparkplug cover post tho...it will be vac formed ....start bowing then :P

Guest INASNT

U r reading me wrong. Honda drivers dont give a toss about power, they would get one just for the noise it makes, nothing else!

power has very little to do with belt slippage... its the rpm that causes it mainly, sure minor issue is inertia from quick engine acceleration but its changes in revs and high revs that cause belt tension issues and slippage... so hondas would benefit if they are good hondas like type r's and nsx's...still no word on if this is actually happenin or not????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...