SAU Community

gilmer drive set for GTR

hahahah DoughBoy your not from sydney are you, from my expericance with fast cars, rexys gtrs and so on,. if you were to pull over on the side of the road and look like you popped your radiator, cops aint gonna help you here, if your car sounds like its about to stop cops arnt gonna pull you over casue they dont want the hassle or giving you a lift to the nearest servo, so when i used to have a problem with my car driving and sounding like your car is about to fall apart, i never worry that cops are going to stop me, its only on my good days when everything is perfect and everything is as it should that i get hassled by cops and their defect stickers....

and the thing about the cam gears being tooth driven, your absalutly right, but i the kit includes straight cut pulleys for the water pump,alternator and crank, including the tensioner pulley, you must admit it is much safer for the engine

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naaaaaaaaa.

The best way is to tap into your alternator before the rectifier diodes. There will be an ac voltage that varies with engine RPM. You feed the 14v at 55 amps into your stereo speakers. There will be over 700 watts of whine, that should be loud enough for you. The frequency is several hundred hertz, the pitch goes up and down with engine RPM, and sounds just about the same as whine from a timing belt.

Sounds really cool.........................

Jeez, u guys want whine, get yourself a g/f and sit her in the pass. side. if u get the rite 1 she'll neva shut up, in fact i can probably give ya's a couple i know for free......................lol

And the best part---the cops'll look at her whining and take pity on ya

(Apologies to all the 'totally switched on' pro skyline ladies on this forum.)

Just a question about these pulleys. The main crank pulley on the RBxx motors also contains the harmonic balancer for the motor. Does this kit modify the original balancer, use an aftermarket one, or totally gets rid of it and attaches directly to the crank/hub?

wrecked head i am interested in gettin some if your mate can make more there is a market as three of my friends and myself want them due to our power steerin pulleys always slipping when doin track days and hill climb event very annoying mid corner and for a split second no power steer.. what parts does your friend make is it a slip on or does it replace the harmocic balancer??? let me know please.

very good question, i didnt think of that one yet, but i assume if he makes custom kits for most cars, then either he modifies the original or gets rid of the balance all together, will find out when i take the car down to have it made, then again, he said he's personally never done a gtr kit befor, and so he soesnt even know if it can be made, but im hoping he can, but thinking realistically hsv's have gilmer drive kits, and they have harmonic balances so why wouldnt there be a kit for gtr's.

i dont know why anyone hasnt made the kits and sold them to skyline owners.

From experience using timing (gilmer???) belts in high speed/power industrial applications, timing belts are more efficient than v-belts, and maintain their high efficiency for longer. All v belts slip somewhat, and the wedging action into the pulley is responsible for the lower efficiency. Bear in mind that we are probably splitting hairs considering the power levels transmitted by belts in auto applications. There is probably only about 5% in it and thats with an unmaintained/adjusted v belt. That said, the only problem is the favourable/objectionable noise issue.

What a concept Warpspeed!!! I bet you could make some money doing that too!!!

yeah the hsv and chev applications the gear is somewhat a slip over thing and also bolts onto the existing balancer... you cant get rid of a balancer just cause you want to its there to balance the crank and reduce vibrations and to offset the weight of the fly clutch and pressure plate it will have to slip over this means it need to be machined down a little to achieve the right size drive, or the other cogs ie water pump power steer have to be downsized accordingly to achieve the same ration and speed as a stock setup.. good luck i looked into it but didnt want to chance buing the drive then stuffing a few getting it right id rather wait til someone else ran the risk with their money!! but keep us all posted..

Dry sumping a motor with 2530's?

yes....whats wrong with that?Many circuit cars have dry sumps and dont even have a turbo and around the 500 horse power figure so i dont see why what size turbocharger i am using has anything to to with it at all......

Sorry ylwgtr2, meant no disrespect. All I was saying was:

A) 2530 - "bolt on" enhancer

B) dry sump - hardcore enhancer

But then looking at your other posts on machining, anodizing, etc, you can draw the conclusion:

C) ylwgtr2 - car freak

Which means A + B are irrelevant. :D

Sorry ylwgtr2, meant no disrespect. All I was saying was:

A) 2530 - "bolt on" enhancer

B) dry sump - hardcore enhancer

But then looking at your other posts on machining, anodizing, etc, you can draw the conclusion:

C) ylwgtr2 - car freak

Which means A + B are irrelevant. :D

nah its cool...no need to appologize...no offence taken:)

I am going dry sump for the solid oil supply reason....some may argue that a good standard type oil pump and a decent sump will be good enough and i am sure it will be....but i will get out of it cheaper going dry sump and theres other benefits apart from the original reason for going drysump

drifta....I will be making my own set up

As far as my DIY posts....you havent seen anything yet :( wait for the

carbonfibre construction post....its coming :D