SAU Community

What's The Modern Equivalent Of R32-34 Skylines?

Yep definetely. Fair enough they cost a shit load nowadays but one day they will be affordable. In the US they are unbelievably cheap.

Dad's is an 09 335i coupe with the M sport package and the 7 speed dual clutch paddle shift transmission.

The thing handles like you wouldn't believe and in complete stock form can pretty much smoke anything off the line (without even using the launch control).

From factory they are heavily detuned running lowish boost. The most I have seen on E90post is close to 300rwkw out of the factory twin turbos and 11 second pasess.

Absolutely fantastic engine the N54.

Yes but they also make mince meat of their diff's, massive issues in that area.

They are NOT cheap to tune/chip due to the ECU used, nor is a proper fix for the diff if you do start modifying it.

Not really a "tuners" car IMO. Anything that uses the Bosch ECU's isn't simply due to the excessive costs.

Dropped hard in price though, friend of mine lost 45-50k on his in 18months, brought it new lol

I didn't think the tunes were that bad given what kind of car it is. Vishnu Procede seems to be the pick and really wakes the car up. Or if you don't want to have warranty issues, you can go one of the BMW Performance tuning packages.

Yeah the diff is the worst part about it when you start pushing big power, however there are aftermarket options available so it aint really a biggy.

Dad bought his as a demo with hardly any km's, saved like 30k lol.

cars that rowan is waiting on a price plummet to tune:

Lexus SC430 - the Z40 soarer, whipple supercharger on a vvtL-i 4.3ltr V8.

dont care what you say. they look BAWSSS.

p21.jpg

Lexus LS400 - UCF21 celsior, again... a supercharger kit / 2JZgte swap and you're set.

ucf21_dumped_no005.jpg

vlene-ex-ucf20g-fimg.jpg?w=468

personally i don't like the idea of the XR6T being the next "tuner" car...

"tuner" cars need to have some sort of a "cool"... and i hate to say it but the XR6T is just /not/ that "cool"

even euro fans can admit that a 9sec street legal GTR is cool...

...you'll never get a euro fan saying that falcons are "cool" though..

It looks like it's turning out to be the Evo 8, 9, 10.

Powerful RWD are getting VERY thin on the ground after 2001. I wouldn't think a BMW in Australia would become a tuners car. Maybe a flash and exhaust but that's about it. Too expensive and they tend to have all sorts of problems after a few years (when they are finally affordable for the tuner).

Well so what are we discussing here? I thought we were talking about the cars of todays era, that one day will be popular to modify when their price goes down.

Skylines were hardly cheap when they first came out ($60,000+ for a GTST, $100,000+ for a GTR).

Also modern cars don't need you to 20 mods just to get 50% more power over factory. A slight flash tune, exhaust and intake upgrade is usually all that is needed out of any modern V8 or turbocharged car.

Personally, "tuners" cars aside, i'm looking forward to second hand supercars prices coming down in 10 or so years time. Something like a 05 F430 or a 03 Murcielago dropping to around $100,000-$150,000 will make them very realistic to own.

Agreed!

I like the darkish (black, silver, grey) hue's on them. Or white. Not a fan of all the "flash" colours on them. Sure they look good in photos, but to actually drive around in a lime green Murcielago i'd feel like a toss.

Also modern cars don't need you to 20 mods just to get 50% more power over factory. A slight flash tune, exhaust and intake upgrade is usually all that is needed out of any modern V8 or turbocharged car.

What N/A V8 will give you 50% more power with just those mods?

I think PM-R33 was more talking about BMW 335i/135i or Golf Gti/Golf R, etc. Indeed these do get big power increases (although 50% may be a stretch). Perhaps a BMW might become a tuners car but when I touched on the expense of these I was not really talking about the 2nd hand purchase price rather I was touching on the costs of aftermarket parts and the lack of affordable true performance upgrades (and issues of HEAT!) and repair costs of broken components....plus do they even come with manual locally??? Although with time a bigger market will cause costs to decrease. German cars aren't exactly known for giving away parts though (I should say this goes for the entire German manufactured industry....they love consumable parts!!!). Perhaps it is a case of "build it and they will come" like the USA market, or chicken and the egg.

I'll stick with my opinion that it will be Evo (8/9/10), Falcon XR6 Turbo and derivatives and add WRX Sti (these need mods like a hooker needs money) and Golf Gti/R. Essentially anything with a turbo it seems :)

Yes, I know the Gold Gti is German but the manual option pips the BMW auto-only affair for the tuner market.

oohh....and for the rich who may dream of owning an "affordable" Lamborghini ....well that seems to be an oxymoron. I'm pretty sure they will have supercharged M3's and a chipped C63 as more affordable tuner cars.

Edited by simpletool

Personally, "tuners" cars aside, i'm looking forward to second hand supercars prices coming down in 10 or so years time. Something like a 05 F430 or a 03 Murcielago dropping to around $100,000-$150,000 will make them very realistic to own.

A friend bought a F360 in London for something like 50,000 pounds last year. I wouldn't say it is affordable though, the running costs and depreciation if you actually drive it outweigh servicing the debt on the purchase price. As for waiting another few years I think you'd find the upkeep ridiculous. Like running 10 x cheap R32 GTRs.

Edited by simpletool

What N/A V8 will give you 50% more power with just those mods?

I didn't really mean it literally, just trying to make a point. Yes 50% was a bit of an exageration for most cars. However some get close, 335i from around 188rwkw stock to 270rwkw can be achieved with basic intake/tune mods (on E85 or with water meth 290-300rwkw) BF XR6T is similar with even bigger increases. But yeah, I more so ment with modern cars a bit of a tune and exhaust/intake mod is all you ever need to do as the power increase is substantial and for most people more than enough to use in a nice comfortable package.

...rather I was touching on the costs of aftermarket parts and the lack of affordable true performance upgrades (and issues of HEAT!) and repair costs of broken components....plus do they even come with manual locally???

Yeah you can get manual locally however most are the normal paddle shift autos, however the 7 speed dual clutch is what most people want (but is a large cost). It really is fantastic though.

See with the afterkmarket parts thing I don't think it is all that bad. Sure in Australia the prices are extreme, but that is because there isn't a big enough market. You look at prices in the US/UK or Europe and it aint really that different to parts for a new Commodore/Falcon here. Also these type of cars are new, so parts will always be expensive and not much choice relative to parts for a 20 year old car. Think about the R35 GTR, parts are very expensive for it at the moment, yet I bet when the R32 GTR was new, parts for that would have cost even more so.

Also with the heat thing BMW Performance actually make a performance package which includes a bunch of cooling gear and retune to get more power very safely. Esentially that is the difference between the 2011 model 335i N54 and the 2007-2009 model 335i. The 2011 has this package on it. (The 2010 model single turbo N55 engine has been dropped and they have gone back to the N54 - long story lol).

oohh....and for the rich who may dream of owning an "affordable" Lamborghini ....well that seems to be an oxymoron. I'm pretty sure they will have supercharged M3's and a chipped C63 as more affordable tuner cars.

Oh definetely, there really is a bunch of great cars made over the last 5-10 years that I am looking forward to coming down in cost and having a good choice from.

• 2 weeks later...

On a recent trip to USA I noticed a lot of the toyota related "Scion" cars modified

troy-5axis-scion-tc-014.jpg

I also see that one of the hsots of USA top gear is driving one of these on the drift circuits (nice to see an s13 cleaning up there)

Problem I have with XR6T's and LS1's is the handling YUCK! Once you start driving a skyline its very hard to go back steering and handling wise!

Have you driven the Evo 7/8/9? I've heard a similar story about Evo vs Skyline...but haven't driven an Evo yet.

Although, I vote for the XR6T due to price/performance ratio...(it should be cheaper soon)