SAU Community

Rb20 Gurus - Help Me With My Turbo Choice!

Psymon

Thanks for the replies guys. I've owned this car for close to 6 years now and have developed a bit of a soft spot for the RB20.

From the reading i've done it seems the 3071 and TD06 seem to be the turbos of choice. Obviously if i want to keep the HKS manifold a Trust TD06 will be out of the question. Does anyone know how the copy TD06 with T3 flange compares to the genuine item?

Interesting point you raise about the cams Roy. It's definitely tricky finding definitive results regarding cams in the RB20. I'm quite sure the 270s are far too large for what i want (although they do give it a mean sounding idle). Would a set of baby cam, say 256 degree poncans offer any advantage over the stockers? Or not worth the money?

Well i have aset of 256 Poncams and if the 10cm housing has a hint of being able to make more power at the expense of response I may throw them in...but only if we see enough improvement to think that all the other bolt ons were all ebing limited by the little 8cm housing on the 20G. The whole thing will only flow as well as the shitiest part and that looks like it could be my small A/R exhaust turbine.

But I will say I think the std cams are just fine. There are all sorts of schools of thought, headwork and cams give power and response....small camas, big cams....everyone thinks they are right. I look at race cars taht still run turbos, and you need to consider they all run restrictors or boost regiulators etc so that messes with things,and who wants to go to that expense only to find they are no better off, or worse off?

TD06-20g L2 seem to work really well on RB20's for decent power...

Wheezy (I think) had really good results a few years ago

Have a look at one of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Turbocharger-Kinugawa-TD06SL2-20G-w-T3-V-Band-Housing-/280626811233?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4156a95161#ht_2159wt_1139

That turbo is NOT the same as the Trust TD06 L2 that Roy (ran?) and I run....

Other than that I agree with everything Roy said 100%...

If I was choosing now GTX3071 would be my choice....

Yeah it's a copy, but wheels sizes match the genuine ones and there have been quite a few success stories with these turbos as opposed to the old china t70 shitters.

I would steer clear of the gtx3071 for now. Initial gtx results seem to indicate that, yes the smaller wheel is capable of moving as much air as the old next size up gt wheel, but response is lost to do it.

I would stick with the old tried and true 3071, probably a genuine garrett .84 TS housing, not reprofiled ATP .78, on the hks manifold, or just a regular old .63.

Unfortunately there isn't a suitable size BW efr available atm that will bolt up.

Remind me psymon, did you have a t3/t4 drilled manifold or just t3? Some of the bw turbos are skipping the t3 and going straight to t4 footprints (just like hks....)

Yeah it's a copy, but wheels sizes match the genuine ones and there have been quite a few success stories with these turbos as opposed to the old china t70 shitters.

I would steer clear of the gtx3071 for now. Initial gtx results seem to indicate that, yes the smaller wheel is capable of moving as much air as the old next size up gt wheel, but response is lost to do it.

I would stick with the old tried and true 3071, probably a genuine garrett .84 TS housing, not reprofiled ATP .78, on the hks manifold, or just a regular old .63.

Unfortunately there isn't a suitable size BW efr available atm that will bolt up.

Remind me psymon, did you have a t3/t4 drilled manifold or just t3? Some of the bw turbos are skipping the t3 and going straight to t4 footprints (just like hks....)

Interesting, however if you are chasing power similar to what a GT3076 would achieve on ab RB20, I would think the GTX3071 would be more responsive, but not as responsive as the GT3071. (Hope that makes sense)

:)

I thought this topic was bashed to death a few years ago and the three answers ended up being RB20 BB Hi flow/HKS GTRS/Roy's TD06SL2-20G .

Actually from memory the last two supposedly gave very close results with the GTRS being slightly more responsive .

A .

Actually, the 20G was the more responsive and powerful. Even allowing for the extra few psi I was running. Cars had the same HKS Type S intercooler, i think we even had the same HKS Hyper exhaust, both internally std RB20s. The GT-RS GTSt was actually a GTS4 running in rwd and it did not have cam gears where as mine did. Dyno runs were done on the same day minutes apart

med_gallery_462_50_8431.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_171164.jpg

So all things considered, with adjustable cam gears, and a bit more boost the GT-RS in my eyes is a pretty good option if you dont want to mess around with manifolds etc and want the engine bay to look pretty std. Mind you this was a ways ago and my setup now makes 40rwks more with only a bit more boost and leaning in the tune a little more. So the gap would be a bit bigger, but then the GT-RS could be leaned on more for perhaps a similar response

My manifold is drilled for both T3 and T4.

• 1 month later...

Really? A KKR better then a HKS?

No offence but i always thought KKR were fairly cheap/crappy turbos?

Also whats the go with the Kando Dynamics turbos? Are they any good?

IMO you wont get a drivable/liveable rb20 with 250rwkw, I hated my rb20 when I had only a vg30 on, was so laggy it wasn't funny, I put the standard turbo back on for now, I either will be going a 2530 or rb20 highflow and power goals around the 220rwkw mark, hopefully will be fairly responsive still.

Either way if your gonna spend this money on the 20 you might aswell keep it in the long run as the money spent now could be most of the money for a 25.

so did i , i only put it on because i was trying to sell the car cheaper :) , honestly i was somewhat dissapointed that this was the case.

But why change the manifold?

my bad , i hadn't read the thread properly, i thought he had a std manifold and i thought the link was to a genuine td06l2 , i was referring to change the manifold to suit the trust flange , or buy the china variant as in the ebay thread . keep the manifold

(p.s sorry for dragging up an old thread)

• 1 year later...

Wonder what the .86 would be like on a RB20 twin scroll, wouldnt be a complete waste as if anything happened could use it on a RB25 or something.

Dont forget cam gears to, I have heard from basically everyone that they do wonders for a 20, will help bring on boost a little earlier and give you a bit more power. I have some on mine but am waiting till i get a tune to adjust them.

not on a rb20 all they do is rob peter to pay paul in 99% of situations.

How much for your L2 kit,? your car has a lot in it, remember you told us to dial it right back its still running in that mode yeah? pull as much low as possible at the sacrifice of top and mid. i would prob buy it.

There was a Garrett twin scroll GT32 turbine housing getting around for a long time and I'm not sure if its the one ATP sells . I think it was a 0.78 AR T3 flanged thing and the turbos themselves were a GT3267 and GT3271 plain bearing units .

Maybe not perfect housings but at least made by Garrett .

A .

Edited by discopotato03