SAU Community

Supercharge The V ?

So im thinking about putting a supercharger in my V, most kits available are VERY expensive.

I have had a little look around, does anyone know if a second hand SC is a valid option?

I was looking at a SC14 from what i know it comes from a Toyota 2.0L engine - I have no idea if it would fit,

but i have seen a few Commo's using it on a 6cyl engine.... (thankyou google)

Does anyone have an idea on how to go about making this happen?

Sorry if ive posted in the wrong section.

Cheers

This sorta of thing can't be done for cheap mate. you'd need a completely custom made intake manifold, serp belt, mounting, pipeworks etc... Not to mention engine management, injectors, intercooler... For a complete working supercharger system on a V35 you'd be looking at 6k at the cheapest.

Gains vs. money you're FAR better going for a turbo set-up. Supercharger set-ups are very expensive for not much gain.

here's a brief rundown of the things you'd need:

Turbo: GT30 or larger - $1700

Exhaust manifolds and dump pipe, TBE exhaust - $2500

Injectors: depending on power goal, 550cc or larger - $400

Engine management: Standalone at the least. think Haltech, pretty sure they have an engine computer to suit a fly-by-wire throttle, if your car is auto then GReddy E-Manage Ultimate is your only option - $1400

Tuning: $800

Z32 AFM: $300

Intercooler + piping: $100

The rest: gauges, maybe fuel pump, fittings, oil and water lines, adapters, oil filter sandwich - $500

Add labor if not doing it all yourself: $1000-2000

Then after the engine you'll definitely want to spend some money on your brakes, suspension and auto box upgrades. Slotted rotors and premuim quality pads, stiffer springs/coilovers etc...

Before you know it, there goes 10k, and trust me, you wouldn't wanna do it for any less, cos you'd have a shit car with reliability problems.

You will be limited to around 5 psi with a turbo kit, and to run boost that low you will need a massive wastegate.

Have you looked at the HKS supercharger kit? Or perhaps the superseded HKS turbo kit if you can still find one? (they were quite cheap a few weeks ago.)

Mate have a look at the momentum single turbo kit?

Very good in my eyes and other members... I was originally supercharging mine, then twins... After alot of research/deliberation I'm going a single turbo.

At the end of the day it's your choice and you can get some great deals if you shop around.... I even saw the hks turbo kit at $6,900 with a cooler about 3 weeks ago too.

There was a HKS turbo kit on ebay a few days ago for $4500, but HKS Aus were jobbing them out for $2500. 30 kits sold in 2 days I think. :)

You could easily fit a single turbo under the passenger side, as that is where Nissan place them with the VQDET's. I have found enough room for a GT35 under there if you are keen, I even have a spare set of manifolds here from a VQ25det, the same manifolds the HKS kit comes with... The issue is still the rods.

You're going to be spending a lot of time getting everything to fit. One of the issues we have is space in the engine bay. Lots of mock up for piping, manifolds, etc etc required. Better to go with an off the shelf kit

You will be limited to around 5 psi with a turbo kit, and to run boost that low you will need a massive wastegate.

About 60mm scotty... HKS agree with me :whistling:

x-Speed , WA fitted a V35 with the HKS kit. have a search, you'll find some pics somewhere.

Have to re-iterate/agree with others, do it properly, or don't do it at all. You'll just end up paying more for a broken motor to be fixed.:thumbsup:

My last two cars have been turbo charged, so I am a fan. However, it seems that a big detractor of both a supercharger and a turbo set-up is the initial cost. No-one here has actually even mentioned complying to ADR's etc, which would possibly at least double the figures again.

One thing I briefly looked at before buying my V35, was NO2. I was checking out if a low range power up was a practicality. It was, HOWEVER, I read somewhere that if you are caught with the NO2 bottle connected while you are on the street, its a 10K fine. Didn't actually check the correctness of the statement, but it scared me.

Now, the fact you are thinking turbo or supercharger, I would guess you are already looking at a defect 100% of the time if your car is inspected. At least with the NO2, you could disconnect the bottle when on the road. I have read that some people have a dummy bottle disconnected for prying eyes, and a hidden connected bottle as well. Its also suppose to be expensive if used hard and often. But, I was originally thinking of a very modest power increase (ie standard internals), and it would only be on when the foot is to the floor. Keeping it modest would make it very cheep when compared to turbo or supercharging. Also, when its off, you have a standard v35.

Its an option, which I would also look into if I were seriously considering other power upgrades (above exhaust and intake tubing).

Thankyou again for the info guys.:thumbsup:

Ive got some pondering and reasearch to do, if you can think of anything else please post.

I will keep yall updated if your interested, as to how it all ends up.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My last two cars have been turbo charged, so I am a fan. However, it seems that a big detractor of both a supercharger and a turbo set-up is the initial cost. No-one here has actually even mentioned complying to ADR's etc, which would possibly at least double the figures again.

One thing I briefly looked at before buying my V35, was NO2. I was checking out if a low range power up was a practicality. It was, HOWEVER, I read somewhere that if you are caught with the NO2 bottle connected while you are on the street, its a 10K fine. Didn't actually check the correctness of the statement, but it scared me.

Now, the fact you are thinking turbo or supercharger, I would guess you are already looking at a defect 100% of the time if your car is inspected. At least with the NO2, you could disconnect the bottle when on the road. I have read that some people have a dummy bottle disconnected for prying eyes, and a hidden connected bottle as well. Its also suppose to be expensive if used hard and often. But, I was originally thinking of a very modest power increase (ie standard internals), and it would only be on when the foot is to the floor. Keeping it modest would make it very cheep when compared to turbo or supercharging. Also, when its off, you have a standard v35.

Its an option, which I would also look into if I were seriously considering other power upgrades (above exhaust and intake tubing).

How does adding F/I automatically = defect 100% of the time? Aslong as its modded legally with the relevant upgrades added (if applicable I.E brake upgrade etc) than it will conform to ADR.

Thats the whole reason to getting mod plates so an engineer certifies that "X" conforms to ADR.

If that wasn't the case (ignoring the dodge people) than alot of people who have changed their FACTORY N/A cars to F/I would have been defected (ignoring targeted defects) and engineers would notice a dip in work.

I'd rather well setup snails or even S/C for the road over a shot of NOS and worrying about losing a few G 's:)

Edited by ka86

• 5 months later...

Hey i also just got mine from japan with HKS S/C already installed and it has been complied in melbourne , now i ve got the problem of getting the rego plates in WA as it has to be inspected again.

trying to get a certificate for it don't know how i 'll go with that.

i have an F-con which is not installed.anyone knows where i can have it put back on in perth?

will suggest HKS for reliability but also for space issues you won't have to change your bonnet.

Hey i also just got mine from japan with HKS S/C already installed and it has been complied in melbourne , now i ve got the problem of getting the rego plates in WA as it has to be inspected again.

trying to get a certificate for it don't know how i 'll go with that.

i have an F-con which is not installed.anyone knows where i can have it put back on in perth?

will suggest HKS for reliability but also for space issues you won't have to change your bonnet.

Hey Mate

Try giving X speed in o Connor a call. The guy there used to have a single turbo HKS V 35. He would know a lot. Fabcar sends their cars there to get tuned.

If not try mark at C red Tuning in Welshpool.

GL

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mate

Try giving X speed in o Connor a call. The guy there used to have a single turbo HKS V 35. He would know a lot. Fabcar sends their cars there to get tuned.

If not try mark at C red Tuning in Welshpool.

GL

thanks man i will give them a call. I am actually in big trouble as i was asked by the department of transport to change everything back to stock ! that means taking the s/c off, changing recaro seat, aftermarket wheels and tyres, changing the fenders and the ings spoiler, putting the stock stereo, memo steering wheel even the lights.has anyone licensed a modified import?Anyone with information that can help please don't hesitate.

post-87138-0-70421800-1318418511_thumb.jpg

thanks man i will give them a call. I am actually in big trouble as i was asked by the department of transport to change everything back to stock ! that means taking the s/c off, changing recaro seat, aftermarket wheels and tyres, changing the fenders and the ings spoiler, putting the stock stereo, memo steering wheel even the lights.has anyone licensed a modified import?Anyone with information that can help please don't hesitate.

Car looks good, mate. Good luck with the registering process.

Are those Axis Five AD wheels? what size

and nice fenders, what are they?