SAU Community

Rb30 Failure

32rrr

Engine was built by a shop down bris, usual rb30, 25de head, spool rods, mahle pistons

its dont about 3-4000km's and she's spun a bigend.. going by the colour of the rods were thinking oil starvation? whats everyones thoughts...

tune was 360rwhp on 13psi with a t04z, engine was run in on the dyno and had been running sweet

post-78330-0-68390500-1301381319_thumb.jpg

post-78330-0-83683800-1301381429_thumb.jpg

post-78330-0-83335100-1301381474_thumb.jpg

Edited by 32rrr

pull the girdle off and lay the main bearings out in order and see what they look like.

ps. all the plugs are still in the crank? especialy adjacent to the damaged bearing..

Will be doing that tomorrow and checking everyones still where it should be

i just cant believe how much colour difference there is in the rods

Edited by 32rrr

I built this engine. About 2.5 years ago.

N1 pump was used at customer's request. I suggested using a Tomei as we were building two other Tomei pump engines at the time and you can't really go past them for quality/reliability

The N1 pump was brand new. Collar was new and fitted by an engineer. We always check clearance on collars when we fit them.

It had a ROSS balancer too so not a harmonic issue I don't think.

Such a shame, that engine was destined to make some bigger numbers.

Although I can't prove any problem with the N1 pumps, we just stay clear of them now due to the pump failures we have seen.

What was the rev limit on this engine and was the limiter regularly hammered? I am interested (worried) because an N1 pump has gone into my RB30 (yet to run). One reputable RB30 builder here won't touch N1 pumps because of a number of failures but others say that they are ok with a rev limit such as i am planning to use: 6,800rpm. Or is the "safe" limit lower on an RB30?? Engine above does not appear to have been highly stressed - planning to run 18 - 20 psi with a GT3540 and looking for around 300awkw.

Reved to 7, limiter set at 7250, hardly hit the limiter.

To anyone with a N1 pump on any engine.. i seriously suggest changing it as the pressure gear just isnt thick enough in the area's where it needs to be.. i will use a stock rb30E pump before i use an N1 pump again

Car was run in on the dyno, was going strong untill she went bang, the oil pump is quite spectacular

Crank and 2 of the rods are throw aways, pistons will be reused just have to decide what to do, but for now a bog stock rb30e bottomend has gone in just to get the car mobil again.

post-78330-0-62906000-1301571243_thumb.jpg

when i can see the funnier side to it.. i'll throw up pics around the place, i really have to give it to the spool rods considering the heat damage that they have copped i honestly dont know how they didnt bend and leave the block

I purchased a second hand N1 pump from someone on this forum (he took it out of his car because he was paranoid) and been using it ever since, the pump is 4 years old now and ive been using it in my RB30 for 3 years, its been to 2 different countries and traveled a LOAD of km's with revs up to around 7300 with stock balancer when racing. It has withstanded temps of -10deg where you HAVE to use anti freeze and also hot weather also.

I use a very soft rev limiter with the vipec and stock balancer but i ALLWAYS use the best oil... Motul.

Only different thing i did before installing it was lock tight the screws on the back.

N1 all the way IMO even after 100,000 km (road) its still going strong! just ran a 10 last month.

The N1 pump has served me great.

Correct me if i am wrong but I THINK that when the gears gave way and siezed the engine must have had some torque behind it and kept spinning inside the pump and just shredded them away...

You can see there was a f load of heat inside there at one point :)

nice main bolts btw

Where the hell did the two flats go?