SAU Community

Wgnc34 Gearbox Issue

hks33

Hey fellow wagoneers,

Noticed yesterday for the first time during some highway driving a bit of smoke creeping in from under the facia that surrounds the gearstick. It only seems to be happening at 80km/h + and smells of a slight burning. I slow down and it just seems to go away. Im hoping its something minor such as the oil in the gearbox just needs to be replaced as i just purchased the car not long ago hoping its not something major. The smoke is a grey/black in colour i guess?

Looking forward to your replys guys

my mate has this same problem with his series 2, only happens in 5th and only at highway speeds.

I was thinking it was just his leaking rocker cover gasket leaking onto the turbo. but i've never really investigated a solution fully.

my mate has this same problem with his series 2, only happens in 5th and only at highway speeds.

I was thinking it was just his leaking rocker cover gasket leaking onto the turbo. but i've never really investigated a solution fully.

Hey there,

could well be that, interested to hear some more opinions since your spot on with how you explained it

cheers man

get under there and start looking for leaks.

smoke/smell is an indication that a fluid is burning - either due to friction, or because it is landing on something hot. the colour of the smoke can tell you what the fluid is, but at this stage probably the easiest thing is to get in the engine bay and look for wetness.

it might not even be gearbox related.

Dont know about manuals, but the auto box has a breather pipe and if oil is venting out it may hit the hot exhaust.Perhaps at a certain speed the fluid is blown onto the exhaust

Edited by 66yostagea

i'd say it'd be engine oil leaking onto the exhaust because;

a) the rocker cover always leaks oil from the rear corners, the bolts come loose

b) when doing highway speeds in 4th or 5th the engine is bascially idling, which ,means that the viscous fan will barely be turning(ie not blowing heaps of air past the box area)

c) get an auto, they are cooler anyway.

give that area of the engine a good degrease, retension the bolts(or replace the gasket) and retest :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

hey mate i had this problem when i got my stagea 3 years ago .it turned out to be the rubber seal around the gear stick was torn .u got to remove the plastic trim and then the large rubber cover held in by four bolts then u will sell the rubber seal . as u drive for a while oil simply spits out that seal and sits ontop of the gear box and starts to smoke . i just had to buy a complete new gear sick with the seal already installed so it was a remove and refit new one from nissan it was around $150 i think annoying problem costly fix.