SAU Community

My Trip To Japan - To Go Or Postpone?

Blitz_boy

Hi guys,

I booked a holiday to Japan before the disaster. I am meant to travel to Tokyo from the 17th May to 28th May.

My question is, I guess more directed to you guys that are over there. How are things in Tokyo? I was planning to just stay around Tokyo with maybe a trip to My Fuji.

Jetstar has given me the option to change dates to another time within 12 months. Should I stick with my original dates in May or would your recommend postponing my trip?

I hope this doesn't come across as an insensitive query, I do want to get over there and help out the economy.

i wouldn't be too concerned if i were you.

I absolutely disagree. Public transport is a mess, there are frequent blackouts (usually scheduled to make up for the loss of power from f*kushima). Getting fresh dairy products, vegetables, drinking water and some other foods can be a problem. If you check the Australian Government website http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Japan it specifically recommends "do not travel" to Tokyo and Northern Honshu. Apart from the difficulties I have stated and the possible hazard to your health you may have difficulty claiming on travel insurance for anything (even unrelated problems) as the Australian Government recommended not to go there. My sister was supposed to come at the end of the month but I recommended she reschedule. My recommendation is either reschedule or avoid Tokyo - there is plenty to see in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara etc etc where life has been virtually unaffected.

I absolutely disagree. Public transport is a mess, there are frequent blackouts (usually scheduled to make up for the loss of power from f*kushima). Getting fresh dairy products, vegetables, drinking water and some other foods can be a problem. If you check the Australian Government website http://www.smartrave...ew/Advice/Japan it specifically recommends "do not travel" to Tokyo and Northern Honshu. Apart from the difficulties I have stated and the possible hazard to your health you may have difficulty claiming on travel insurance for anything (even unrelated problems) as the Australian Government recommended not to go there. My sister was supposed to come at the end of the month but I recommended she reschedule. My recommendation is either reschedule or avoid Tokyo - there is plenty to see in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara etc etc where life has been virtually unaffected.

Oh well, maybe go to some other part of japan?

I'm heading to f*kuoka EOY..

Hi Loach,

Thanks for your reply and your PM, I really appreciate it. That's exactly what I wanted to know, it's concerning to hear how life really is over there.

I hope things get better soon for you guys.

I'll reschedule for next year and I hope everything will be back to normal.

Hi Loach,

Thanks for your reply and your PM, I really appreciate it. That's exactly what I wanted to know, it's concerning to hear how life really is over there.

I hope things get better soon for you guys.

I'll reschedule for next year and I hope everything will be back to normal.

No worries mate, I hope it works out better for you next year. Thanks for your concern, I and people in my area are fine but yeah some people further north are doing it tough.

OK, so I'm now travelling to Osaka instead. I'm really happy to still be going to Japan.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do in Osaka? Are there any must do's?

Go shopping!

Some awesome stuff... like dual touch screen laptops :)

Also, check out america town.

Jump on a bullet train and head into Kyoto, we stayed for a couple nights in a Ryokan over there and did a tour to Nara. It was awesome! You can feed deer etc.

Jump on a bullet train and head into Kyoto, we stayed for a couple nights in a Ryokan over there and did a tour to Nara. It was awesome! You can feed deer etc.

lol. osaka to kyoto only takes 25mins on a normal train. no point getting on a bullet train.. :rofl2:

theres heaps in kyoto and heaps in osaka. get a guidebook or lonely planet or even just search the net. all the sakura are gone from down here but theres still heaps to see.

Edited by adam87

osaka rocks!! i preferred it to tokyo tbh. great food there. lots of stuff to do. i stayed in shinbaisashi. thats where all the action is.

as skittles said, definitely check out Kyoto too. and Nara, with all the deers.

Osaka's aquarium, Kaiyukan, is one of the best in the world with two whale sharks in one tank. As has been said Shinsaibashi is great for shopping and food. Try eating takoyaki (great for a snack but usually served dangerously hot so wait a few minutes before eating) and okonomiyaki (ask if they have instructions in English as you cook it yourself) while you are there as Osaka is famous for them.

If you have time Hiroshima (I think its about one and a half hours by Shinkansen (bullet train) from Osaka) is definitely worth the effort. It has the island Miyajima which has great views, old style buildings, wild deer and monkeys,. Get there by ferry from Hiroshima, the short trip has many photo opportunities too. Hiroshima also has the nuclear bomb dome and Peace museum which are pretty unforgettable although sad. Try eating Hiroshimayaki while you are there.

If you want to go to a car museum then Nagoya (50 minutes by Shinkansen from Osaka) has a big one with cars from all over the world (but no Aussie stuff unfortunately - they need a VL in there :) The museum is about an hour from Nagoya station but its by subway so its relatively cheap. Try eating taiyaki (delicious desert) and unagidon (its eel but its delicious).

On the weekends make sure you keep your eyes open around the big cities as there are usually festivals on at that time of the year and they are awesome.

TAIYAKI.

can't find it anywhere in australia, dayum.

There's the red bean filling and cheese and all sorts of silly stuff...

There is a place in Nagoya that does Taiyaki hamburgers, Taiyaki bacon/egg and Taiyaki caramel/chocolate - they are all so delicious. Unko (red bean) is the traditional one though.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Tokyo on the 21st March- 10 days after the earthquake and I reckon you should still go. The only problem I had with trains was in the Chiba area when I was going back to Narita airport. All other trains i got were running fine. I experienced no blackouts and I had no problem getting food or drinks. There were some tourist places that were closed to save power. On the 22nd the Nissan gallery in Yokohama was closed due to power conservation. It is probably open now. Nismo factory was open. Toyota showcase in Odabia was closed as well as the ferris wheel, Tokyo Big Site and Fuji TV observatory. Disney Land was closed but re-opened last Friday. I still had an amazing time and still had plenty to do and see even experiencing several aftershocks and being in the earthquake on the 12th in Chiba.

I've already changed my destiantion to Osaka, and I'm really happy about it. I've also extended my stay to 14 nights after hearing all the things there is to do there.

Osaka seems like it suits me anyway. I'm a foodie and Osaka seems to be a great food city.

I will deffinately check out some things that Loach suggested' like the aquarium.

Plus the accomodation was alot cheaper in Osaka :thumbsup:

Edited by Blitz_boy