SAU Community

Haltech Platinum Sprint 500

bigkevracer

This will probably be shot down pretty quick, but if its a new product it might be a new option.

I've been speaking to an Adelaide tuner about doing something for the M35. Initially I was asking about Emanage, but he was reluctant as apparently they use an addition/subtraction table instead of dictating their own. His suggestion was a Haltech standalone, however when I pointed out all the difficulties, he went back to the drawing board, however did speak to Haltech.

Haltech's response:

"The Platinum Sprint 500 now supports the 350Z VQ35 trigger system. I am assuming the VQ25 engine uses the same trigger system (A scope trace to verify this would be perfect).

In the case of the trigger system being the same you could use the platinum Sprint for fuel, ignition and boost control on the engine in piggy back format. This is not an interceptor style ECU."

I wouldn't think the VQ25 would be the same as the VQ35, since nothing seems the same engine/ECU wide, but I figured it might be worth asking the question about the trigger system.

If they do share a trigger system, we would be able to run the Platinum Sprint, which is under $1k, almost as a stand alone, with the standard ECU controlling the auto.

Under this setup, the Platinum Sprint 500 controls spark and fuel directly, so no addition/subtraction tables, and apparently 'even if the main ECU tries to introduce a speed cut it has no effect.'

Haltech web site: http://www.haltech.com.au/index.php/product/platinum-sprint-series/platinum-sprint-500

I spoke to Craig about his previous experience with the Haltech, and it sounds like if you get the right product it might work. He did get it working, but he was using a Platinum Interceptor and it wasn't working properly with the AFM signal.

The only thing I'm not sure about with this is the throttle. Would this be an issue?

Anyone interested in this or know anything about it?

The Motec M800 can control the throttle but its expensive. By the looks of it you could run this unit, but I would need to see the input/output capabilities. If it has a few spare PWM outputs you could drive the cams at least.

Yes, they share the same crank trigger as my Emanage uses the VQ35 trigger setup. (theres no VQ25det engine data)

Swapping to a cable throttle is the least of your problems. This will be a long process to get right and you will be paying for all the development time like I have with the Emanage. Is it better? I doubt you will notice the difference if the tuner is good enough.

Well that's part of what I'm following up with him, I doubt for me its worth doing all the development even if it will be better, but for someone like you it might be useful. Depends on the development costs I guess, its not much dearer than an Emanage to buy the unit.

Have a look at the Platinum Sprint 500 Spec Sheet, has some promising stuff on it. It has two generic programmable inputs, and looking in the manual it mentions "Digital Pulsed Inputs". Been a while since I did electrical engineering, not sure if you can get the same thing out of it!