SAU Community

The Gravel Rally Thread

zebra

In reply to my crash, it was about 37km into a 40k stage, just gone though a double caution crest into a Left then Right downhill. road was quite slippery and felt the tail start to slide out, it dropped into the culvert and spun the car and the lhf climbed the bank and flipped the car. slid on the rook for a while as i think we were doing about 80km/h.

have cut the roof off and welded a new roof on it, and just need to replace the front radiator support and headlight support.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ran the AMSAG Orange City Rally 2 weeks ago and was hoping for another strong event in the Silvia. This event was part of the 2WD Master Series also so there was a big field with plenty of competition. I was really looking forward to the competition and to see if we could continue our good run. I was seeded first on the road because of my win in the last event so was a little bit worried about sweeping the loose gravel. Unfortunately i never got to finish stage 1 the gearbox decided it had enough and let go about 4km out from the end of the first stage which was about 27km long.

Luckily we had the incar footage so we could at least compare our time against some of the other top runners after the event. It showed we were definitely on the pace and looked like we would of won the 1st stage by at least 20 seconds.

Will be now spending some time on building up the gearbox it was the last part of the car that needed upgrading but i was hopeful it would get us through this season. Looks like ill be getting an Albins gear set hopefully that will be a big improvement.

Incar of the first stage.

Been keeping an eye on your progress from here in NZ, the Silvia is looking good. Looks to be fairly torquey pulling from low down out of some of those turns. Quite a contrast to my revvy N/A that I have to keep strung out up on the cams, good fun though.

First pic above. Is that brake smoke coming out of the front wheels? Must have been a pretty big stop coming in to there.

Haha yep it sure is brake smoke, was a hard left and hard to see coming from pretty much flat in 4th gear run downhill so the brakes were working hard trying to pull it up.

Been keeping an eye on your progress from here in NZ, the Silvia is looking good. Looks to be fairly torquey pulling from low down out of some of those turns. Quite a contrast to my revvy N/A that I have to keep strung out up on the cams, good fun though.

First pic above. Is that brake smoke coming out of the front wheels? Must have been a pretty big stop coming in to there.

It's not bad, on the road it pulls from about 2500rpm all the way to 7000 and is fairly linear. On the dirt though and with altitude you do loose some of that response, but it is pretty impressive and very rarely do you find it bogging down off boost even when you get it a bit wrong.

The ratio in the gearbox from 2nd to 3rd is the only time you notice bogging down slightly if on a hill put its not bad and still pulls, which will now be fixed with the new gear set

I'm only running the car on 10psi of boost I've run it once on 17psi but its just undriveable, its bad enough keeping the rear tyres on it.

• 3 weeks later...