SAU Community

Vk Rb30Det Drift Project

Firstly I'd like to make it clear that YES i am a fan of both Nissan & Holden!

I usually prefer Classic or GT Coupes and Utes. My first car was a HG 253 GT

Monaro coupe, I currently own & drive a R34 GTST Coupe and HX 350 GTS Ute.

I've also had a couple VL Cailais and other first gen "compact" commodores.

I picked up a nice straight VK 5.0ltr about 5 years ago and hadn't decided what

to do with until recently. I should be doing most of the works on my own but I

have been getting a bit of help from my local mechanic who builds VK's with

RB30's for speedway racing. Below is what I have and am Intending to do!

Proposed RB30 DOHC Conversion:

* RB30E Block

* RB25DE/T VCT Head

* RB30 Bell Housing

* VG30 5 Speed Manual

* RB26 Water & Oil Pumps

* RB30 Forged Pistons & Rods

* RB30 Custom Light Weight Crank (via mechanic)

* RB25 Top Mount Exhaust Manifold

* Custom VL Tail Shaft to Suit (via mechanic)

Removed from VL Donor Car:

* RB30E and 5 Speed Manual

* K Frame, Struts and Tail Shaft

* Clutch & Brake Pedal Bracket

* Hydraulic Clutch Cylinder

* Fuel Tank and Fuel Pump

* Brake Booster & Master Cylinder

* Doors & Rear Bumper (Spares)

* Engine Wiring Harness

Removed from VK Project Car:

* V8 5.0ltr & 400 Turbo Auto

* K Frame, Struts & Tail Shaft

* Brake Booster & Master Cylinder

* Engine Wiring Harness

* LPG Fuel System & Tow Pack

* Interior, Rear Seats & Dashboard

Currently Working On:

* Half Role Cage - Mocked up in place, need to get new high tensile bolts.

* Pedal Bracket - VL bracket in bad condition using pedals on VK bracket.

Need to cut a hole in the pedal bracket and firewall to allow for clutch cylinder.

* Engine Bay - Remove battery tray (on wrong side) and quick paint.

* VL K Frame & Arms - Degrease, Paint and new Nolathane bushes.

* Coilover Conversion - Koni custom made full adjustable (via my mechanic)

* Strut Mount and Rod - Nolathane full adjustable replacements.

I'm just trying to concentrate on preparing the engine bay and front suspension for the moment,

as I am about to go to Europe for 3 months and will start the engine when I get back in September.

And also concentrating on swapping what ever I have to from the donor car as I need to get rid of

it before I go and empty out the trailer of rubbish that I've accumulated from stripping both cars.

I'm still doing a bit of research into the running gear but probably won't know for sure what I'll do,

until I do it. At most I would like to achieve around 500rwkw...

Queries I Have:

* I didnt take the VL live axle because it had drums and wasn't LSD anyways. I'm not sure If I should

waste my time looking for a VL turbo or calias axle or just throw LSD diff in my VK V8 axle with disc's

and get the custom tail shaft to suit?

* Should I use VK Power Steering or VL Conventional Rack & Pinion?

* Is it really necessary to change the fuel tanks & lines?

Just interested in what people think and if they have any ideas or suggestions from experience.

I'm getting a new camera in the next couple of days so I can start documenting my project.

Thanks for everyone's time, Cheers!

im lost rb30de or det? turbo?

i would be focusing on suspension and brakes.. and if u plan on chasing any sort of power ditch the rb30e 5spd. i ran one in my cef daily or 6 months and was always in fear of killing it.

If you like doing something different and playing with things to make then work then it would be a fun project, if you just want a rb30 powered drift car then there are cars much better suited to drifting than the vk, an R31 for one!

If you like doing things different then just be aware that there are not many (i havnt seen one but im sure there is a couple) of well set up vk drift cars which means getting it right will be a matter of testing different things till you get it to work, which for some is half the fun!

@ CupCake: Yea RB30DET, gotta have a turbo just not sure on which one as yet, I'll worry about that later down the track.

I'm currently concentrating on front suspension and brakes, will get around to the rear when i decide what diff and axle to use.

Very true with the RB30e box, I suggested the RB25det box to my mechanic, He believes that the VG30dett box is as tuff.

I did some research into this and found a page called "rb25 vs vg30" some people say that they have same internals.

I'd prefer a vg30 box as they go for about half of the price of an rb25 box, I'm still looking into this anyways...

@ W0rp3D: Maybe but the R31 ain't really my thing. I've seen a couple VL's on VicDrift videos but not a VK yet.

Having both chassis at my disposal I have seen some major differences between the VL and VK.

The VL is really cheaply made, from the chassis to basic parks. When I jack it up it flex's...

The VK on the other hand is quiet solid, jacks up like a brick and parts are made to a better standard.

I've read forums where people convert their IRS to live axle for drifting, VK already has this.

ALSO it is my belief that I can get the VK to perform similar to a R34 as they share almost same wheelbase;

VK = wheelbase: 2668mm front track: 1451mm rear track: 1416mm

R34 = wheelbase: 2665mm front track: 1480mm rear track: 1490mm

@ 88cameron88: Yea few mates been telling me to stick with power steering, will have to use a oil cooler and sock

as any leaks will get me kicked from the track. VicDrift Scrutineering Guidlines

THANKS for peoples feedback...

rb and vq are similar/indentical on interals but outside not so much, bell housing is different and im sure the vg box is remote shifted. Id stick to a 25 box.

Im all for something different but you wont get anywhere in the vk cos the suspension and brakes are just too old.

some people like the live axle as opposed to the irs in a commodore for drift because irs in commodores has a tendancy to want to bog down not slide like a solid axle will.

but i used to drift my twin turbo commodore with irs with ease. if you have enough power and know how to get it to slide it is actually better because of the irs better handling(controllability).