SAU Community

Speakers in the front and rear

Robo

Hi There,

I'm looking at replacing the speakers in the front and back of my R33 gts-t.

Are the standard speakers 6" or 6.5" or even 6x9"???? and are the front speakers the same size as the rear shelf speakers?

Thanks for your help..

Rob

I havent measured the size but I'm pretty sure they're 6 inch all round. 6.5 will fit without to many dramas. 6x9s will require the help of Mr Black & Decker.

Why did the Skylines come out with such a crappy sound system??? :confused:

Thanks for the replies.

Another question,

After I installed everything:

6.5" front

6.5" rear

CD player

Amp

sub.

All worked perfectly for about a week.. Now I have the most annoying buzzing sound from the front speakers (which are connected to the AMP). The weird thing is the buzzing only happens when the engine is on... when your on ACC it's perfect..

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions. I have basically re-wired the whole thing and the noise is still there..

It also has the whinning noise that gets higher pitch as you acelerate...

Thanks

sounds like an engine noise problem... just get urself a noise compressor/ sound compressor.... its called somthin like that!?!?

u can buy it from any good car audio place... strathfield car audio / MLC / Jaycar etc. places like that....

they cost anywhere from $4 - $30

heres what they look like

AA-3085.jpg

AA-3072.jpg

Originally posted by Robo  

It also has the whinning noise that gets higher pitch as you acelerate...  

Make sure that the RCA leads are running down the opposite side of the car to the power leads. And before you say "But the battery is in the boot", remember that power has to get from the battery to the engine somehow! If that doesnt work then go the filter (the bigger the filter the better).

Do the 6.5"s fit straight in ?? (the rear) Cause I just measured up and the diagonal centre to centre holes measured 6"

Also, If you are putting splits in the back, where's the best place for the tweeter ??

And one more questions - If you had a pair of 5hit hot 6.5 splits and a pair of ordinary splits, would you put the good ones in the front and the ordinary ones in the rear ?? (Considering a 12" sub was going in the boot ??)

Thanks,

Originally posted by brendanf

Do the 6.5"s fit straight in ?? (the rear) Cause I just measured up and the diagonal centre to centre holes measured 6"  

Also, If you are putting splits in the back, where's the best place for the tweeter ??  

And one more questions - If you had a pair of 5hit hot 6.5 splits and a pair of ordinary splits, would you put the good ones in the front and the ordinary ones in the rear ?? (Considering a 12" sub was going in the boot ??)  

The hole in the shelf should be big enough for 6.5s to squeeze into.

The first rule of car audio is put the quality speakers up front. Front stage is what you're gonna hear while driving so it makes sense to put quality as close to your ears as possible.

I cant remember the exact theory behind it but tweeters should be mounted as close to the woofer as possible. Something to do with phase difference, which means better sound. This is not always good in practice tho coz its bloody hard molding tweeters into existing panels up front without them looking dodgy. On the shelf its a lot easier. For the fronts try to aim the tweeter at the opposite person (ie aim the tweeter on the drivers side towards the passenger and vice versa).

Hope that helps...

Another question for you all.

I went and bought that noise filter you mentioned. It kinda works, but there is still a small buzzing sound from the front speakers and whines when you accelerate.

Could it be anytyhing do do with the earth? (I attached the earth to the battery earth)

It is sooo annoying. I have cheked all the wiring and all looks good.

Cheers

Rob

I sorta fixed my alternator noice by running the RCAs to the main amp first, instead of the sub amp first.

Some questions - Does the noise come thru all speakers ?? Or just the fronts or just the rears ?? What the setup ??

You may need to upgrade your RCA cables to top quality ones - Mega shielded - the shielded twisted pair type - They cost about 100 bucks I think.

Make sure all power cables are as far away from the speaker and RCA cables as possible.

Make sure you run all cables straight down the length of the car or at 90 degrees to the length of the car - ie no funny angles - all cabling to be 180 deg or 90 deg to each other.

Turn the gain down on you amp

Investigate getting a new battery/alternator - maybe they are on the way out ?? Get them checked out.

You can get noise supressor for the RCAs but this also eliminates some high freq sound.

That's all I can think of dood !

Good luck !!

Thanks for that.

I only have one amp, two sets of RCA's running to it from head unit.

The sound is only from the front speakers (when sitting in the car, more from the front left - passanger side)... The rears are hooked directly to the deck and the fronts to the AMP...

I'll play around with it a little more and see how I go...

Just incase tho I ran the cables (rca and speaker wires) along the route of the old sepaker wires..