SAU Community

Forged Rb20

i thought the rb24 has a longer stroke than 25 from what i've found and talking to people only going by what i've been told and searched so not sure how true it is may have read wrong...people just say it's a freak motor and it seems that most people say it's got more torque so who knows??? would love to take ride in one

Has a worse head as well, I really doubt it makes more torque or power. Freak motor is what people say when they have no idea haha.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might as well get a 26 crank and make an rb24 if you are set on wasting money.

yeah nothing like a setup which splits bores every so often :)

Why is the head worse? I can think of reasons why its better for making torque

Everyone always seems to bitch that it doesn't flow as well, fine for 2L I'm sure, but if you've increased the capacity to 2.4L then wouldn't you want it to rival the rb25s head?

just quietly, I can see why an RB24 has more torque earlier then an RB25, probably fall over up top more and not make the same power on same boost. But guessing that torque comes from when you have the most effecient combustion which is realated to cylinder filling.... then an RB24 is going to have plenty of velocity, and good cylinder filling, but at higher hp probably also means more restriction/ pressure drop

i have a 32gtst to with a rb20 in it i have thought alot about this before aswell

i have thought about converting to a rb25 and have reserched it but and from what i gather both working a rb20 or putting a rb25 in a r32 will both be expansive

something i have not found out is how much it will acualy cost to put the rb25 in a 32...... i am thinking about 5000 up.. could someone who has acualy done this convertion tell me how much it cost for labour. parts and watever else may be needed.. or even someone who knows how much it cost not just a guess

i have a 32gtst to with a rb20 in it i have thought alot about this before aswell

i have thought about converting to a rb25 and have reserched it but and from what i gather both working a rb20 or putting a rb25 in a r32 will both be expansive

something i have not found out is how much it will acualy cost to put the rb25 in a 32...... i am thinking about 5000 up.. could someone who has acualy done this convertion tell me how much it cost for labour. parts and watever else may be needed.. or even someone who knows how much it cost not just a guess

depends if you did it yourself it would only cost the cost of the core engine (1100-1500 ) as all the ancillaries swap and you can use all the rb20 gear. I have had a few customers do it this way.

Engine neo rb25 $1900, used all ancillaries off a s1 rb25 because that's what was already in there, but you could use rb20 gear no doubt. Tune, some connectors and wires, random bolts etc, did all the work myself so didn't really cost anything apart from the cost of the motor and some tools, loctite etc, borrowing an engine crane, hiring a trailor. Maybe a few hundred on top of the cost of the motor for new belts and random stuff?

This was my first engine swap I did pretty much on my own with some help from mates so it took longer than expected and was a fair pain in the ass, but keep at it and you'll get it done, it is just like expensive lego really.

If you use an r33 rb25 it'll be like 1k for a bare block, budget for tune and stuff that is broken etc, id say 2.5k max if you do ALL the work yourself. I can't see hiring equipment, nistune for the rb20 ecu, tune etc exceeding 1.5k

If you want it legal you need r33 brakes and an inspection, then replace all the bushes etc that they fail you for the first time, thatd prob be another $1k once you pass the inspection.

Edited by Rolls

yea well thats seem cheap if u can do it yourself me on the other hand i dnt think i would be aboul to do a engine swap without breaking somthink

so i am guessing about 2k ontop for labour so all up about 7k

thats about wat i was thinking

but wat has been on my mind is my mate has a r33 and it is not that much faster at all he does have more poer on take off then me but not buy much at all

so when saying that 7k on my rb20 that i would of spent i think i would be a quite abit quicker then him on a strait....

however by saying this i do have 150rwk rather then the stock rb20

If you can at least take the old motor out, put the new one in without really bolting anything up and tow it to a workshop you'll save a lot of cash.

rb25 is much nicer to drive than an rb20, especially when you want more than 200kw

yes agree with that but no i dnt think i am aboul to do that??

i agree that a rb25 has more power but wen saying that im pretty sure a rb20 revs out higher so its the good with the bad

and yes i think if some one is aboul to put one in themself i think it is a beter option but if someone is like me who is cant do this moding there rb20 is a cheaper option

The reason R33s don't feel great with an RB25 in them (compared to RB20 in R32) is the extra weight. Get rid of that weight by putting the RB25 into the R32, and you are on your way to happiness.

I will take a larger amount of off boost torque and drivability over an extra 500 or so revs in the top end EVERY SINGLE TIME.

there is about 100kg difference max, when stock there isn't a huge difference between the two motors, but when pushing say 250kw the difference is massive.

when stock the top end is the same anyway, dives over after 6500rpm.

Edited by Rolls