SAU Community

26/30 R34 Gtr **now With Results**

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job on the build. Very impressive. Can I ask a few questions?

What did you do with the bottom 4 bolts on the gearbox that bolt to the Sump (as the sump is now lower with the adaptor and the bolt holes don't line up?

Did you have any issues with the Power steering line that enters in the middle of the rack directly under the sump?

Do you have any pics of the Clutch master solution? and how do you find the pedal feel?

Great job on the build. Very impressive. Can I ask a few questions?

What did you do with the bottom 4 bolts on the gearbox that bolt to the Sump (as the sump is now lower with the adaptor and the bolt holes don't line up?

Did you have any issues with the Power steering line that enters in the middle of the rack directly under the sump?

Do you have any pics of the Clutch master solution? and how do you find the pedal feel?

Thanks for the praise.

we drilled out and tapped two of the holes that we could make work and put factory bolts in. the other two holes require welding to build a area.

It is close but still half a fingers gap away from it. there is a bolt on the sump thats close to rack on passenger side we just ground the head down for extra headroom. the engine twists away from it anyway.

I can get pictures of the setup. basically its just a plate that you bolt to the firewall with bolt and nut, then two holes tapped out that bolt the stock cylinder too. Made up a new clutch rod too. The pedal feel is no different, we suspect that the booster never worked in the first place but it is no different to any other car with a multiplate clutch in it.

If your doing the conversion and have a stock plenum you might not have any issues just the hypertune manifold is alot larger he standard

Many thanks for the info. I'm doing a similar thing with a MP III R34 GTR. (I think yours is MPII)

Here is a pic of the car and the old 2.8 engine....

r34gtr.jpg

Engine-1.jpg

I had the engine all assembled, but I am using a dry sump kit. It looks like the dry sump kit is lower than the wet sump by maybe 20mm.... so she not looking like she is going to fit. Here is a pic of the engine bay and a pic of the engine sitting on the power steering line... argghhhh.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

I'm also running a Greddy Intake so have the same issue as you with the clutch booster.

It would be great if you could post some pics of the booster mod. Also, the "other two bolts" did you put a thread in the sump holes you made, or did you cut down the back of the sump to make a flat area and use bolts and nuts?

Edited by TwinTurboCelica

Awesome looking car.

Its Tims car the orginal poster hes just very lazy at posting updates so i took over. Its MP2 yeh.

how come your getting rid of the 2.8??

The sump is a stock sump with the front section cut out and remade so we dont have any issues there. how much is it hitting/clearing by? Is the engine sitting on mounts in that photo?

Your in luck cause the clutch master bracket is coming out in next week or so to get finished and cleaned up now that we know it works. so i can take photos and send them too you

2 holes that we could we tapped thread into and found right length bolts, and i think we cut some of the cast bracing away and bolt and nut. Welding the sump for extra material would make for a neater solution but nobody sees it under there

Edited by nick81xd

Again, thanks for the reply.

I didn't get rid of the 2.8 ltr through choice, it threw a leg out of bed and smashed the block and the sump to pieces (think 3 seperate holes you could put your hand through). It was running 760ps and 1.7bar at the time.

The 26/30 option looked to be the best replacement as I needed to replace the whole bottom end.

The engine mount was not sitting 100% down. one side still had about 10mm to go.

Best case, the pipe needs to be relocated and the cross memeber cut and modified. Worse case it just will not fit. I'm thinking the dry sump may have to go, but I'm not 100% happy about that as the car will see the track on a regular basis, and the dry sump was a major consideration for the build.

ouch about the engine. at least you finished it off in a spectacular way. The old 2.7 in tims car(owner) wasnt changed by choice either. Part let go at 9960rpm and a mess followed.

Its a crude option but you could "relief" the sump around the pipe and also bend the pipe down a little. last resort option of course.

I would be definetly be trying to keep the dry sump its good insurance.

Well due to work commitments and the turbo oil drain ripping and not havin resources to fix in time powerplay is a no go for the car :(.

Have to aim for the may powerplay. Should be finished tested and tuned by then. Begging for a thrashing.

i think i saw some lilly white chicken legs sticking out from under this thing on the weekend, does that mean its turbo drain is all speedflowed and ready to hit the dyno at gladdy on sunday?

Edited by TheGotoGuy

Hasnt been tuned yet, has barely been driven. Work commitments have really prevented any progress on it. Hopefully in the coming weeks. It will go for power tune and see what boost its happy running.

Car is loving the new engine. Its so much easier to drive and more user friendly Tim (owner) is saying. Evident by the lack of throttle percentage being used.

Had the sniffer in the exhaust aswell. around town cruise its only a little bit rich but under full power its going to 10.1 afrs so heaps of power left in it. Goes in soon to get a tune done.

Tidying up engine bay now finish off a few bits and peices, then its ready to go to powerplay hopefully in january.

Took it out for a thrashing on the weekend and aside from banging limiter too quickly its awesome fun.

photos and videos

DSC_0817.jpg

DSC_0830.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg

Looks fantastic, great thread - thanks for sharing the build.

Again, thanks for the reply.

I didn't get rid of the 2.8 ltr through choice, it threw a leg out of bed and smashed the block and the sump to pieces (think 3 seperate holes you could put your hand through). It was running 760ps and 1.7bar at the time.

The 26/30 option looked to be the best replacement as I needed to replace the whole bottom end.

The engine mount was not sitting 100% down. one side still had about 10mm to go.

Best case, the pipe needs to be relocated and the cross memeber cut and modified. Worse case it just will not fit. I'm thinking the dry sump may have to go, but I'm not 100% happy about that as the car will see the track on a regular basis, and the dry sump was a major consideration for the build.

No way... You bought your 34 from global auto through edward lee's right? Saw this car on youtube and It sounded absolutely mental