SAU Community

M35 Stagea As A Daily Family Hauler

SU8TLE

Anyone here use their M35 Stagea as a daily family car? I currently own a VZ exec wagon for the same purpose and would prefer something a bit 'sportier' in a family mover. So to you who do use your Stagea as a daily... A few questions?

Average fuel consumption (with minimal mods) drove normally? My VZ gets around 10-10.5L/100kms babying it for comparison.

Insurance? Mega expensive? (28y.o/perfect history)

Service costs? Compared to the average Aussie family car? I expect it to be a little more expensive due to it being an import, but not say... Legnum expensive?

In general... Does an M35 Stagea make a good family car?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel economy babying it is around 13-14L/100

Insurance can be mega expensive, depends who you go through. I've seen anywhere from $800-2000 for full comp.

Service costs? I've seen nothing shocking so far. Quality fluids and filters are the same price, I guess the difference is you want to make sure you put quality stuff in. Just depends on whether stuff breaks, but most parts I've bought so far haven't been much more expensive.

I think it'd make a good family car, but I don't have a family :P

* Yes, I use it for eeeeeverything.

* Yes it makes an awesome family car (no kids but a wife and 90kg of canine means I need a wagon).

* Fuel economy will not be fantastic. I drive a lot of hwy and generally average 10-11L/100 or so. Around town is pretty bad, but they have a bit fuel tank for a reason!

* Insurance I pay 1200pa full comp as a daily with all my mods listed through Shannons (34yo)

* Servicing shouldn't be more expensive than any other Nissan... but do yourself a favour and do your own servicing.

as a daily yes it'll work but u do have to consider warming it up and cooling it down............ u cant just do 5min runs in it, and that said females usually dont have a clue on this.

i know my car is a little over tempremental but even stopping into a servo and filling up doesnt always make the car to happy to start again if its a quick stop............

other than that it's a great car, done everything from going on holiday with 5 mates and stacking the car to hauling my german sheperd around, but also if ur like me and u get a car like this the mods keep coming pretty damn quick!!!!!!

cheers, Theo.

You might need to look at that starting problem Theo, I've never had an issue...

pretty sure its the battery too and i'll do another ecu reset but i'll let them do that when i go for a service in 600km and get my free battery under warranty :)

i know my car is a little over tempremental but even stopping into a servo and filling up doesnt always make the car to happy to start again if its a quick stop............

Turn the key to the accessory position for 2-3 seconds before cranking it over instead of just quickly turning the key. :thumbsup:

Turn the key to the accessory position for 2-3 seconds before cranking it over instead of just quickly turning the key. :thumbsup:

aaahhh let the glow plugs warm up first aye :P ROFL............... bloody diesels HAHA

I use my car as a daily driver/work/family car.

Average economy prior to mods = 12.7L/100 with mods 13.5 - 14.5L/100km.

Servicing costs are cheaper than any other car I have owned as I do all my own work on it. No timing belt to replace and very helpful forum make looking after it possible.

Insurance = 1500 but my stock Outback cost 900 so not much more given that is not business registered. Oh the value of living in Sydney. (over 40 and good driving record)

pretty sure its the battery too and i'll do another ecu reset but i'll let them do that when i go for a service in 600km and get my free battery under warranty :)

Sounds like the battery....I had the same problem.....battery lost amps

yet another family man here.. love it the stagea dearly!

i put on my on direct gas injection to keep fuel costs down.. get about 16L per 100 giving it squirt now and then and the rest in traffic gets a bit better on the freeway.

would highly recommend one!

• 3 weeks later...

was looking into legnums too before deciding on the stagea...

had a chat with a few mates and they mostly adviced me to go for the M35 stagea because of support (service etc cos shared with most local Nissans), newer (01-04) compared to Legnums (95-01? correct me if i'm wrong), and the luxury features offered with the M35 (Axis, ARX and RX? i'm noob, correct me again if i'm wrong)...

was looking into legnums too before deciding on the stagea...

had a chat with a few mates and they mostly adviced me to go for the M35 stagea because of support (service etc cos shared with most local Nissans), newer (01-04) compared to Legnums (95-01? correct me if i'm wrong), and the luxury features offered with the M35 (Axis, ARX and RX? i'm noob, correct me again if i'm wrong)...

legnum lol.