SAU Community

Closing Down?

arbess

Been awhile since I've been on here, but...

Anyone drive the Moorooka Mile and notice that Autoshop has nearly no cars and a sign saying the property is for sale??

They had nice looking cars, with a nice price tags to go with it. What a shame, maybe the import (jdm cars) are feeling the pinch or a lack of interest in sweet rides.

The whole magic mile seems to be slowly winding down

not surprised though, as, in my lofty opinion, it's quite close to the city and the land would be quite valuable if able to be developed into appartments/shops etc.

just slowly gotta get rid of the rabble that reside in the area

Yeh there is some development going on just near the Xcars shop, where the old holden dealer was. Other than that the ford lot was empty when i passed this morning (and is has been for awhile). if they put apartments there, that will be epic traffic chaos, like wynnum rd at east brisbane, fully hectic!

They're just getting out. The glory days of Jap imports are over. They own the land so are deciding to move on.

They have fingers in other pies so aren't short of something to do.

Might be time to grab a bargain?

ben,

I see a few of them doing similar things, particularly RAWS. a lot of them are getting out or going sideways into other things.

david and jason I think tried to do the US truck market as well. I remember seeing two of them sitting there when I went past.

Yep, trucks is the "new thing" if you're willing to spend the money and jump the required hoops to get the RAWS and conversion stuff in your own name. And the beauty of them is you don't need a yard and staff to do it, can be done from home if you have a little room.

An added bonus is trucks are a completely different buyer demographic........

I went there a few months ago to look for a line, found one and the only one, but price was 18k. bit short i think :P

There use to be a import shop, i tried looking for it. it was opposite moorooka holden or w/e they call themselves. all gone :9 should have bought from then 3 years ago when i wanted one.

Also, side note.

Stafford Road Corner Webster road, they have skylines and a supra. Closed down when i decided to buy an import, bloody hell!

The whole stretch is far from the bussling car mecca I remember 5 years ago. I think car sales across the board are still on the decline/haven't recovered.

Edited by sonnyQ

Got my GTR from Autoshop a few years ago. I haven't driven past there in ages. Everything winding down at the moment because finance has become harder to come by. Most people don't have a spare 20k to dump on a car. The writing was on the wall when they stopped p platers from driving turbo cars.

from what I have been told a lot of the JP brokers are in the same mess. no stock due to high prices and low demand. world economy is screwed basically and these guys are doing something else to make a coin or two.

figure give it 6 months before the whole thing falls completely over.

There are apparently a lot of JDM cars now going to South africa and Russia which is forcing the price up as there is more competition for the cars. Australian market has tanked but the foreign markets are strong which makes life tough.

But that's just my view of it all. Great bargains if you buy local, look at what I got, 34 GT-T in great shape with some expensive mods for $10,500. A similar 34 from Japan with lower mileage was going to cost me at least $16k

few car yards closed down down at the springwood area, but doesn't seem to be as bad as marooka. I think that its probably as people have said above, local factors having a say in it, mainly land price.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would import specifically these days, the market is flooded here, heaps to chose from, and plenty of people in a world of hurt so if you have some cash, good buys can be had :)

You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I paid for a gorgeous 99 V-Spec last year :)

P plate laws have destroyed the sales imo, its not that people have lost interest/the scene is dying, everyone who bought turbo imports were people who just got their licenses back in the day.