SAU Community

Demerit Points

Jack-

Hi guys, is there anywhere to check how many points you have without physically going to Vicroads and waiting in line for 2+ hours?

Coming up to the 1 year date since I lost all my points, just want to be exactly sure :)

FYI demerit points take 3 years to expire from date of offence and if you are on an option notice or suspension for getting too many points, you will lose 12 of them at the end of the suspension period.

...from my previous experience they expire after 12 months of the offence but thats on a probationary, are you talking about full license?

I went to court and lost 5 points, this day last year, and took the option of no points for 12 months rather than lose it for 3 months. At the end of that option I get my points back but during that time I went from probationary license to full, so when I do get my points back it will be the full 12 rather than the 5. Just needed to know what date I got them back.

Gave them a call put on hold for about 15 minutes and hang up. Will just go down to Vicroads itself and push in to quickly ask :thumbsup:

No it's P-Platers that acquire more than 5 points in a 12 month period, lose the plastic.

That's the additional rule, not a different one.

The 3 year rule still applies to everyone for points expiration far as I'm aware. Regardless of transition.

If you got 3 points 12 months ago, it's 2 years before they reset.

^3 years on a full license as full licensed drivers get 12 points per 3 years, where as a P-plater gets 5 per 12 months, as I was a p-plater when I lost them as far as I know it's a year 'til they reset.

On the option letter they sent me, I had a choice of loss of license for 3 months then after that have full points; or "good behaviour" for 12 months - not losing one point, then regain all my points back also.

Might have to dig the letter up to double check.

No it's P-Platers that acquire more than 5 points in a 12 month period, lose the plastic.

That's the additional rule, not a different one.

The 3 year rule still applies to everyone for points expiration far as I'm aware. Regardless of transition.

If you got 3 points 12 months ago, it's 2 years before they reset.

Im pretty sure Ash that when your on your P's it resets one year from when you lost it..very confident in that

Yeah it must be, otherwise the whole being on 0 points for 12 months concept wouldn't work because essentially it would be 3 years. The whole point of it was not losing the license for 3 months, rather being on 0 points for 12 months then regaining the points, however, if you do lose a point that original 3 month suspension gets doubled to 6.

Im pretty sure Ash that when your on your P's it resets one year from when you lost it..very confident in that

Hrmm... If it worked like that though, a P-Plater could effectively get 15 points in 3 years, which doesn't then sound right as is more than someone on Full.

Pretty sure it was a MAX of 5 in any 12 month span, with 12 overall.

Either way a call to VicRoads would confirm/deny it if you need to know.

Hrmm... If it worked like that though, a P-Plater could effectively get 15 points in 3 years, which doesn't then sound right as is more than someone on Full.

Pretty sure it was a MAX of 5 in any 12 month span, with 12 overall.

Either way a call to VicRoads would confirm/deny it if you need to know.

That's what it was when I was a P Plater. 5 points per year to a maximum of 12 in 3 years. 12 points over a three year period for a full license holder, the 5 point restriction in a year isn't there.

Gah, you don't lose points, you get demerit points. Here's how it all works:

- Earn 12 points in the space of 3 years (as a P plater or full licence driver) and you will get an option notice.

- Earn 5 points in the space of 1 year as a P plater and you get an option notice.

- ALL points regularly take 3 years to expire, UNLESS you get an option notice...in which case, you will receive a clean record (0 points) at the end of the chosen option (1 year good behaviour, or 3 month suspension).

- Points that are earned as a P plater do not "expire" after 1 year, they stay on your licence record and still count towards the 3 year rule, they just no longer count towards the 1 year rule.

So just to clarify Martin, you got off a 12 month probation and you still had a demerit point? If so, that would have been because the last fine you got, pushed you over 12 points. Anything over 12 points and it carries on to the next period of points...

e.g. say you're on 11 points and you get a 3 point fine...survive the probation period of 12 months and your blank slate will start off with 2 points.

It just retains some "value" to the punishment, in case people sitting on close to 12 points commit a major offence...otherwise they would be left in the same boat as someone on the same points committing a minor offence, i.e. both start with a completely blank slate.