SAU Community

Gtst-4 Rb20 Possible Bottom End Gone

s213b

It's funny you mention that spool site, I was on it today at lunch, looks good, the thing is, while it's apart I might as well go all out, get it all done right while it's out and apart.

But yeh, once it's apart il get the builder to sus how everything looks, if it all looks a bit tired, il go all out and get that forged package from spool. If not, il just do the bearings and n1 pump. Is there anything that should be filed/ die grinded/ dremeled/ polished off before it all goes back together? I wouldn't mind getting the cast marks on the head cleaned up, but is there any other bits we should do while were there?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars not going to be tracked.

And white gtt, im not getting a new block (as yet anyway) I want the 20 and I'm going rebuild. If I can't get help from the engine builder, il go 25 neo stagea.

hi,

ive heard that the gtst-4 rb20's are 'not like the others' in sense that i cannot just go out and get a regular rb20 from an r32 and slap her in.... the gtst4 one is off a stagea, correct?

My budget isnt huge, but im after reliability over anything else, im thinking rb25? Will r32 rb26 be a straight bolt in?

How difficult will a stagea rb25 converison be?

or should i just rebuild my rb20 with a good oil pump, and race bearings?

what would you do in my situation!?!?

thanks

Hey mate, the RB20 in your gts-4 is the same as any other silver top rb20 by the way, its just the sump thats different, all you have to do is swap the sump/diff over.

I've heard the only thing that's different is the sump, but I've heard from numerous people the bolt up pattern is different and they arnt interchangeable?

I'll know by the weekend weather I'll be going rebuild or 25. Either way I'll do a build thread up to my 250 awkw target :)

Cheers

Hey mate, the RB20 in your gts-4 is the same as any other silver top rb20 by the way, its just the sump thats different, all you have to do is swap the sump/diff over.

Not true, the undersize of any 4wd block obviously has provisions so that the 4wd sump can bolt up.

Same as any rb26/25/20 4wd. They all run a GTR based gearbox, and the sump's are the same albeit different ratio's between models.

Yeh, I was told if it's a 4wd motor it's all good.

However looking like I might be going down the fully forged rb20 route (no stroking) and going all out, getting some head work done and a gt2530 / bigger? And 20ish psi and see weather or not the 250 awkw mark comes into sight :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, seems a rebuild is going to be potentially over 5k so rb25 neo from a stagea is the go. Any one know about legality issues with an r32 with a 25 in SA?

/ knows someone with a neo?

Been quoted 2.5 for neo from importers but seems pricey.

Cheers

Yeh, I was told if it's a 4wd motor it's all good.

However looking like I might be going down the fully forged rb20 route (no stroking) and going all out, getting some head work done and a gt2530 / bigger? And 20ish psi and see weather or not the 250 awkw mark comes into sight :D

Why?

Buy new RB20, slap a TD06 on it and spend the 10k you were thinking of spending "going all out on an RB20" on booze and hookers

Ok, seems a rebuild is going to be potentially over 5k so rb25 neo from a stagea is the go. Any one know about legality issues with an r32 with a 25 in SA?

/ knows someone with a neo?

Been quoted 2.5 for neo from importers but seems pricey.

Cheers

Does it need to be a neo? I am using a low km S1 Stagea engine in my R33. It cost me a lot less than $2500.

I was pm'd by a guy today. He told me this about swapping an rb30 auto gearbox into my manual r33 gtst, "My choice is a GTS4 auto then fit the drive train from an Aristo. (2JZ auto)

The Toyota engine is just so superior to the Nissan there's no comparison. " "I'm over 60, done more conversions than I can remember and I was only passing on my experience from many years working on rubbish designs." "The Toyota auto is also brilliant, really locks up quickly not like the Nissan which slips heaps until convertor lock.

I've driven my son's 300rwkw R33 and then his stocker Aristo and the Aristo is just fabulous, once it's up and away."

So it seems from what he told me that you are better off putting supra gear into your car because nissans are a "rubbish design" and are just so inferior that there is no comparison.

You now have you answer. Look no further. thumbsup.gif

my advice would be as follows. either spend very little, or spend a lot.

the best option is buy a wrecker RB20 (less than $1K) and slap it in. I don't imagine anything is different other than the sump (which you have from your engine).

otherwise, buy an RB26 and go the RB26 route. they are pretty cheap now. I have one I took out of my 1994 model R32 (so basically an R33 engine with large oil pump drive etc), it has perfect compression, 90,000kms and at 250kw would last forever if treated well. complete motor I'd probably part with for around $3500 or a bit less (that's complete from rocker covers to sump, you just need the bolt ons). for around $4K you'd have RB26 power.... 250kw is just 14psi, tune and exhaust for those things (even with stock turbos).

the best option is buy a wrecker RB20 (less than $1K) and slap it in. I don't imagine anything is different other than the sump (which you have from your engine).

Both the BLOCK and SUMP are different from a regular rb20. You will need a gts-4 engine to retain 4wd.