SAU Community

Lap Timers

Duncan

Hey guys. Here's the latest offering from QStarz, the LT-Q6000 Colour Lap Timer

We'll have stock in a few weeks. Fully integrated 10Hz lap timer and Data Logger with colour LCD display in real time and built in 3 axis accelerometer. 2GB storage memory.

$449 More info HERE

Also, the Qstarz BT-Q1000eX Lap timer has now been upgraded from 5Hz to 10 Hz More info HERE

q6000.jpg2.jpg?w=300&h=133

Here's a little video recorded on our new RadCam using the Qstarz and Dashware software

I went for a RaceChrono Pro unit from http://racechrono.com.au/

I'm happy to show anyone what this thing is capable of if you're considering buying one :D

This looks awesome. Can use it for the bike as well, and easy to read screen at a good price. Even has all the australian tracks already programmed or ready to download.

Any negatives?

Looks like this will be my christmas present to myself.

This looks awesome. Can use it for the bike as well, and easy to read screen at a good price. Even has all the australian tracks already programmed or ready to download.

Any negatives?

The new Qstarz LT Q6000 is probably better suited to motorcycles as it's completely self contained single box and requires no wiring or fitting. It just has a simple mount for attachment to handlebars.

Any negatives?

Heya a20089 :)

I'm pretty impressed with it thus far!

It does everything I need and a few extra cool things to boot.

My only possible negative is that I keep forgetting where some of the options are within the menus. Not general stuff like starting a new session, but things like adding a split marker etc I find them eventually, but to be fair, I've only done it a few times and am still learning my way around the menus. A few more runs and I'm sure I'll have it down pat, but it isn't 'iPhone intuitive', but then what is?!

I recommend having a look at these if you're in the market for a lap timer, ESPECIALLY if it's to be used on a streetable car/bike ;) The timing options are plain dangerous to your licence whistling.gif

Mark :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you guys have a Android phone and are after a fairly accurate and cheap way of measuring lap times then download the app called "Trackmaster"

It's really useful, can add in sector times etc and export all the data to excel for graphing and comparisons. I found it to be within 0.1sec of official lap times even using the internal 1hz GPS of my Samsung mobile.

As others have said 1hz GPS updating does suck a bit, I'm looking for a cheap bluetooth GPS at 5hz but they all seem to be a few hundred each?!? So I'm very happy with my well spent $10 so far :)

Edited by SimonR32

• 4 weeks later...

I use the GPS set up MoTeC developed for the SDL (dash logger).

You key into to the dash manager on your lappy the way points of the start/finish line of the track you're at and any splits you want.

The times, splits and laps are logged and also displayed (depending on how you want it displayed) on the SDL... so too are predictive times.

http://www.motec.com/gpsg1/gpsg1overview/

Cheap too at under $400 (from memory)... you just need to spend $15k on the MoTeC setup first!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded my RaceTechnology dash to a 20Hz GPS... Now I just need to get to a track and test it...

The first test car we ran it in had a self ejecting cigarette lighter and the memory cards were in the wrong file format.

• 2 months later...

I have been thinking about this myself recently- thinking of buying one of these and testing it out;

http://www.ebay.com....=item3a64068682

For that price, if it doesn't work - who cares!

I bought the latest version with the remote pickup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bestlap-lap-timer-infrared-ultrared-racing-track-day-V2-/200753923595?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item2ebdddc60b&vxp=mtr

It works fine - lap times to two decimal places and stores each lap time for recall - no other features but fine for $60

It also works with the more expensive beacons so if any one else has a beacon at the track you can run off that instead if you want.

Third, same. Looks like a really good unit too!

There's a new firmware update out for the LTQ6000 that now allows you to use it as a rally trip meter. Used it at Targa nd it worked brilliantly. It logs and records all your stage times etc and you chancheck out speeds, track map etc.

qsrally3.jpg