SAU Community

Martial Arts

R-SPEC

would love to do weapon/stick training along with krav maga, kali etc all good shit problem is not many places around that teach it, not anywhere near me anyway...

Teakwando

Hapkido

did a little bit of BJJ

XMA flips, kicks and weapons training

I've trained with matt emig and Daniel his former XMA partner and also Richard norton from the old Jackie chan movies. Hit me up if you want some good schools to train in NSW.

hapkido the most entertaining style to watch imo though i think it's more suitable for the more flexible kinda person. having a bad back doesn't help either lol

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha my mate injured his shoulder in BJJ cause he didn't execute a roll properly...it's apparently pretty intensive on the body for the first few weeks, but now he's out of gym for a good couple of weeks :down:

hmm after taking a closer look it seems to be all wrestling, not my thing...

Yer it's very ground oriented stuff...lots of grapples and submissions, little in the way of limb strikes. Probably a good thing to have in your repertoire but not depend on entirely? Very popular in MMA, but then, they're aiming to win the fight by submission most of the time.

Started with Tae kwan do-yellow belt

then Shotokan Karate-orange belt

then Hapkido-green belt

then Uechi Ryu Karate-white only

then Matayoshi Kobudo (Okinawan weapons) got my 3rd Dan last November.(stuck this one out :rolleyes: )

Very traditional weapons style, Bo staff, Sai, Tunkwa (grindstone handle), Nun Chaku, Eku (oar), Kuha (short hoe) and some other stuff.

I now teach it twice a week.

I do it to keep flexible, because I ain't getting any younger, and because I enjoy it.

Also because it is helping to keep alive a very old martial art (began around the 1600s and passed down through families)

lol I don't do it, my friend does. I want to do something that involves a lot of leg strikes, as I feel they are my best weapons and I already know how to kick fairly well.

Did Muay Thai and BJJ at KMA for a about 8 months

Ended up focusing more on gym and gettin big, doin both takes up too much time

.....and got sick of hobbling around after Thursday night Fight Club as well lol

Started with Tae kwan do-yellow belt

then Shotokan Karate-orange belt

then Hapkido-green belt

then Uechi Ryu Karate-white only

then Matayoshi Kobudo (Okinawan weapons) got my 3rd Dan last November.(stuck this one out :rolleyes: )

Very traditional weapons style, Bo staff, Sai, Tunkwa (grindstone handle), Nun Chaku, Eku (oar), Kuha (short hoe) and some other stuff.

I now teach it twice a week.

I do it to keep flexible, because I ain't getting any younger, and because I enjoy it.

Also because it is helping to keep alive a very old martial art (began around the 1600s and passed down through families)

speaking of belts, do they all have the same grading system or do colours vary from one style to another?

our old instructor used colour coded arm bands

you want leg strikes? go to a Muay Thai shin conditioning session for legs haha

this

after a few years your shins will be like concrete. but if you're more into kicking with your feet and like the more fancy stuff then you're better off trying a different style

has anyone done Bruce Lee's JKD? f**k that's some fast shit

I think people saying fighting is for mugs is as bad as people saying imports are for hoons, basicly the same way of thinking, fighting is a sport same as anything else, all depends on what the individaul as to what they like.

I started kickboxing/maui thai training in 2001 for fitness reasons and after 6 months i went from 96kgs to wieghing in for my first fight at 70.2kgs and the adrenalin rush you get stepping into a ring with someone that isn't going to back down and possible trained as good or better then you, is second to none.

after over 5 years of active fighting i had it give up cause my now wife was diagnosed with non-hodgskins lymphoma and i spent more time in a hospital then the gym, even now 4 years later i still miss the rush,but with running a business and having a family i just don't have the time to train properly.

Standard belt system is white-yellow-orange-green-brown-black, with tips in between and 2 black tips on brown.

The coloured belt system is for westerners because we like levels and goals etc.

The original way was to start with a white belt and with use it slowly got darker.

Hence a belt that had been used a gazillion times was black.

For westerners, watch out for someone whose black belt is frayed.

Did Muay Thai and BJJ at KMA for a about 8 months

Ended up focusing more on gym and gettin big, doin both takes up too much time

.....and got sick of hobbling around after Thursday night Fight Club as well lol

hahaha Tell Fari ferrari ill race him any day!!! and his getting old..!!!

is jamie still teaching there???

dont do gkr karate go kan ru the whole thing is a scam the membership prices can be wat ever the sales reps make them and they dont cover you for any insurances like they say they do and most of there trainers are a low belt grade,i worked for the company as a sales rep and had to stop cause i couldnt keep lying to people they wanted me to start teaching classes wen i was a yellow belt.all the classes are pretty much the same unless the instructor decides to change it a bit but they all have to follow a program which is why alot of people get bored with it.they say it $50 for a 3 month trial which goes straight in there pocket after 3 months if ur happy with the training u can ungrade to a LIFETIME membership for another $50. but they keep no records of lifetime memberships and u will never here from a rep again once uve gottn ur lifetime membership cause ur not givn them anymore money.i dont like puttn companys down cause we all need to live but i hate scammers so next time u get sumone from GKR knock on ur door and give u there sales pitch invite them in and let them go through there folder with u and see wat u think just my 2c.cheers

I've been into it for a fair while now, covered a few styles too..lol. Well, a bit of Boxing, several years of Rhee TKD, couple of years of Bujinkan Ninjutsu, couple of years of Tsutsumi Ryu Jujutsu, bit of Shotokan Karate, bit of Krav Maga, bit of Muay Thai and some Bagua. Now currently studying (last 3-6yrs) Kendo, Iaido, Jodo, Judo & Aikijutsu. Im also planning on studying these in the future: Muso Shinden Ryu, Tamiya Ryu, Daito Ryu, Kyusho -jutsu. Martial Arts stopped being about the fitness and competition years ago for me, although I have competed at a National level only last year. Its more about the art itself, the tradition and philosophies, not to mention aquiring ancient, once sacred and firecly guarded knowledge, can be quite addictive. Its also important to pass this on, so that this knowledge isnt lost (putting it in a book or videoing isnt good enough unfortunetly..... if only matrix learning was possible huh?!)

Also, when choosing a martial art, I dont believe that there is technically a 'bad' art, some better than others, but they were all created for a reason and a need (whatever that maybe....); they all have their place! Its just a matter of figuring out what it really is, that you want to gain by doing martial arts and scale that against how much effort your willing to put in and for how long! Then you can narrow down the arts to a few that would be best suited to you and available within your travel constraints! Biggest is not always best & getting to the top the quickest isnt nessessarily a good thing either!

my2cents

30 years of boxing (started when I was 5yo - boxing family)

3 years of BJJ (blue belt) - I see this as a sport I can keep competing in well into my 60's

2 years of Judo (blue belt) - I wish I got into this sport when I was a kid!

I got into BJJ and Judo to get a better understanding of both sports because my kids do it. BJJ is interesting but I prefer Judo - nothing like turfing someone hard! Judo really is underestimated by a lot of people - tie up with a skilled Judoka and you will soon learn to respect what they do. My loyalty will always be with the sweet science - boxing.

dont do gkr karate go kan ru the whole thing is a scam the membership prices can be wat ever the sales reps make them and they dont cover you for any insurances like they say they do and most of there trainers are a low belt grade,i worked for the company as a sales rep and had to stop cause i couldnt keep lying to people they wanted me to start teaching classes wen i was a yellow belt.all the classes are pretty much the same unless the instructor decides to change it a bit but they all have to follow a program which is why alot of people get bored with it.they say it $50 for a 3 month trial which goes straight in there pocket after 3 months if ur happy with the training u can ungrade to a LIFETIME membership for another $50. but they keep no records of lifetime memberships and u will never here from a rep again once uve gottn ur lifetime membership cause ur not givn them anymore money.i dont like puttn companys down cause we all need to live but i hate scammers so next time u get sumone from GKR knock on ur door and give u there sales pitch invite them in and let them go through there folder with u and see wat u think just my 2c.cheers

Yeah i fully agree with you there are a lot of schools like that in Australia but there are small pockets of school that are really there for there students...like Master kim in near blacktown west point and believe me he will push you to your limit one hour of warm ups and 2 hours of kicking! and none of that bull shit monthly fees you only pay him if your go.

Haha Fari ferarri... Not sure if he's still there haven't been for a while

Graydon was still there taking the Muay Thai when I finished up

And Fari was taking most of the BJJ

yeah Gradon's left KMA to start his own school near bunnings and Mac's at prestons. Fari and him had a fall out but its none my business to talk about it so dont ask why but you should come visit him some time to say hello.

About to kick start fight training again. Boxing was starting to get to me, so i gave it away a few years ago.

Looking for something new where i can get the full body experience, the only place i saw wirth the cash is a place in St kilda.

Fcuking hate running so choices are limited here

Trained in Tae Kwon Do from 13 until 15, then Gosoku Ryu Karate from 19 until 22. Tried a bit of Judo, Aikido, Muay Thai, and MMA. Didn't like MMA, Judo or Aikido. Haven't done decent training for 7 years so I got into barbells and weights :(