SAU Community

What to do with overly hard springs???

JXL

do you think whitelines are better than king springs. i'm not really fussed about the height, but rather the stiffness. i find the back to lean alot. and i hate the way it snaps back so violently when recovering from a slide, scares the crap out of me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think whitelines are better than king springs. i'm not really fussed about the height, but rather the stiffness. i find the back to lean alot. and i hate the way it snaps back so violently when recovering from a slide, scares the crap out of me.

That's not springs, stabiliser bars and decent shocks are the propper cure.

Everybody seems to agree that Koni sport are a good shock, and Bilsteins work well on Skylines...

The Bilsteins on my car were removed last week for a quick once over, they had been on the car for over 2.5 years, and about 70,000kms and they are still in good condition. That included about 3-4 most recent track days where it was too low and was smashing the bump stops to pieces without damaging the shock, so they are pretty durable.

I havent spoken to too many suspension places , or informed ppl that recomend Tein, Cusco, HKS, Apexi etc etc....

i got my shocks inspected by traction tyre in Rowville. They said that the gas in one of the shocks has leaked, preventing the shock from lifting at the same rate as the other one. Is this a big problem?? Is it going to adversely affect the car?? Should i get them rebuild, and how mcuh does it cost?? I heard that motorbike joints do it much cheaper.

any more help would be great.

Chef: I am guessing here, but if the shock isn't lifting at the same rate I imagine it will make the car unstable. Probably not a major concern at reasonably low speeds -- depending on the rate of the leak -- but I wouldn't go hitting a track any time soon.

I'm sure one of the experts can better answer this though...

LW.

If the shocks are stroking at different rates then i wouldnt be expecting too much from them.

But i suppose it comes back to what do you want from the car. If you want it to work 100% well into the future, then i think you have to start calling some places for rebuild prices. What were the springs like, you may be able to get some Koni Sport adjustables for about $400-450 ( thats all my mate paid for his 200SX)

i don't really want it for track. You think they are worth rebuilding?? or should i try to return them?? i got screwed. haven't got the prings checked yet, so idon't know. Are they going to be useless on my car?? I'll call a couple of places tommorow for prices of rebuilds....

:D

Chef,

I would think it would be worth your while to get in touch with someone and have them take a look at the car and see what it is really like. You sound like you have a few possible problems here. Taking the car for a quick run with someone who truly knows what they are doing will be a big help. I am in Melbourne and know people who can help if you want.

Mick.

Mick. i just bought the shocks recently and have not yet put them in. I got them checked (quick inspection) and found that the rod lifts much slower on one of them, the reason for this is that the shock is out of gas. There were no leaks from either of them. I want know i can get that shock regasses, and how much it would cost. i'm on a tight budget ( got very little on me), thats why i bought them second hand.

If you know anyone who is able to regas them, or can rebuild them cheap. It would be great. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

In Melbourne, Centreline Suspension

couldnt agree more SK.

Since i got my car back from Chirs and the boys @ Centreline, there has been not one problem with my car. And he's worked on a few other SAU members here in Vic too.

Great service, and he was darn cheap too IMO. I was shocked when he told me the final price. Expected it to be much more.

Chef definately take you car there. They are on Lipton Drive in Thomastown.

Chances are you'll see my car there as it gets dropped off tomorrow and will be there for the best part of a week... if you choose to go there that is.

mmm.. new rear sub-frame bushes... and a new diff mount/bush thingy.

Both are shagged to the max... the diff one isnt even there anymore lol!

I already got the good suspension on the car, just needed the bushes replaced in the rear.

And a decent alignment for a change.

What kind of price did they quote you and what did you get??

couldnt agree more SK.

Since i got my car back from Chirs and the boys @ Centreline, there has been not one problem with my car. And he's worked on a few other SAU members here in Vic too.

Great service, and he was darn cheap too IMO. I was shocked when he told me the final price. Expected it to be much more.

Chef definately take you car there. They are on Lipton Drive in Thomastown.

Chances are you'll see my car there as it gets dropped off tomorrow and will be there for the best part of a week... if you choose to go there that is.

Mick, any help would be great. They are Apexi, damper adjustable shocks

i called centreline, they said that they don't know anyone who does rebuild for apexi shock. Should i be looking for a motorbike joint for it??? I'll try to take the shocks to thomastown tomorrow for them to take a look.