SAU Community

Budget Ecu's

zebra

So....forget the "which one your tuner is more comfortable with" line

The tuner will be myself...As I want to learn the in's and out's of basic stuff :thumbsup:

So the setup will be on a 1JZ auto, so no matter what ecu I pick it will be piggy backed onto the standard ECU and just fuel and ignition controlled by the new ecu.

So..need to know which (this is also to help others not just myself)

a) User friendliness

b) Tune ability

c) Input/Output - for extra fans, WMI etc etc

d) Support - email / forums / phone etc

e) Value for money

So, my Choices are,

The Adaptronic E420D

Haltech Sprint 500

EMS Stinger

Greddy Emanage blue

Greddy Emanage ultimate

Wolf V4X

Adaptronic E440

Black Box M1

Would be muchly appreciated if people would weigh in on their thoughts about these ECU's (within SAU guidelines) or other ECU's if I have missed any.

Cheers

A.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should ad that I'm not opposed to the more expensive ECU's

but given the 1J runs batch injection, the more expensive ECU's are twice the price for what equates to 2 more ignition drivers...I can live with wasted spark if I save nearly 1000 bucks :thumbsup:

Also have seen it mentioned a few times in the last month or so...but I'm giving another vote towards having a dedicated Tuning sub-section

Your best two options would be:

Wolf V4X

Haltech Platinum 500

The wolf has more programmable outputs (6 from memory) and a 3bar map sensor whereas the 500 has a 1.5bar map sensor and 2 programmable outputs so it depends on how many inputs/outputs you want and if boost is involved and how much

Both good units and will do what you need very well.

I wouldn't use any of the other units if those two are in your list

If you had to pick a cheaper option:

Emanage

Stinger (although recently I found these to have a really weird trigger angle lock at 60deg which can present problems)

I don't have any experience with 1J's, but for what it's worth I know three people using the EMS Stinger 4424 to very good effect and with no complaints. Having been in the HJ Monaro with a turbocharged 304, I can understand why they love it so much...

But again, not much experience. Just thought I'd give you my 2c thumbsup.gif

Your best two options would be:

Wolf V4X

Haltech Platinum 500

The wolf has more programmable outputs (6 from memory) and a 3bar map sensor whereas the 500 has a 1.5bar map sensor and 2 programmable outputs so it depends on how many inputs/outputs you want and if boost is involved and how much

Both good units and will do what you need very well.

I wouldn't use any of the other units if those two are in your list

If you had to pick a cheaper option:

Emanage

Stinger (although recently I found these to have a really weird trigger angle lock at 60deg which can present problems)

Thanks, care to elaborate on the trigger lock on the Stingers?..and 1.5Bar map sensor on the Haltech is no good to me...1J's run 10psi standard so already past the resolution (.5Bar +ve pressure) Can they be fitted with a GM 3Bar or similar?

see how much the hks fcon piggyback is

Can be had for cheap...the software and funky weird HKS dongle however is not, unfortunately :(

nah the guys who make fc hako can supply fcon cable cheap

Awesome, something to look at then.

I have actually just been going over the new EMS Stinger software.....So simple even I understand it...even comes with a base 1jz map lol :D

Thanks, will have a look into it now :)

Also...anyone who has used the current wolf ECU's...is there any way of changing the load scale from percentage to a pressure readout?

because to me % of load means nothing

I know the EMS Stinger works a treat, did on my old 1JZ...never failed! Scenes as this topic is about ecu's...does anyone know if the Wolf V4X can be used in an auto series 2 R33 skyline RB25DET? Ive got it out of my old mazda familia gtx and dont want to sell it if i can still find use for it in my skyline...

I can supply the E420D piggyback for dirt cheap, its a good pick as far as money concern. The plug in version that I've had worked pretty well on Rb25det, and software is quite user friendly. How ever I don't have any personal experiences with 1JZ, it should work as good.

How cheap is cheap Stao?

Pm Me?

Also - Vipec/Link users

Was playing with the software last night...Geez there are some menu's and I'll be honest and say it is a little out of my scope. However I'm sure if I dun did read the destructions I would have a better idea lol

So far, the Stinger I have been able to find everything easily but lacks helps menu's, Wolf's help menu box's are great, but I can't find a way of changing the load scale, Link/Vipec looks and feels great to use, but without knowing what everything is, it looks tricky and slow to use for the less experienced guys like me.

On the cost side of it, The Stinger's price looks great, but doesn't come with a loom...so add that to the cost and you're at Wolf V4X money..and a couple of hundred more than the Adaptronic and the Haltech.

You cant change the Load scale on the V4x. Using the map tracer its actually not that bad.

Once you do 1 run it will trace what load point/rpm you are on and you tune those cells.

We use Wolf V500 on the quickest 1JZ in Australia and there is no way we could have gone as fast with a lesser ecu.

The V4X is the baby brother. not quit as powerful with outputs but still a good ecu.

Adaptronic will come with launch control and flex fuel capability type stuff, its good value for the money. I also know a couple of my old streeter mates who are tuning these themselves on road with a wideband and kmon. Price is good too.

Have done an EMS stinger and cant say I was impressed. Scrub that off your list IMHO.

I had a look at the map sensor calibration table in the Wolf software...just seems weird to me...almost like signal bending, because 100% load on a 250cc motorbike will be way different to 100% load on a 600rwhp 1jz powered commodore ute.

I'm sure it works ok...just prefer the idea of scaling the load points by manifold pressure x rpm, eg max 10psi boost, so scale the load points from say -14.7psi to +14.7psi

that way I know what I am looking at in regards to setting up a target AFR map, or even just punching in a rough timing base map (will be road tuning a lot so will be tricky to hold a steady state load at high rpm)

Adaptronic will come with launch control and flex fuel capability type stuff, its good value for the money. I also know a couple of my old streeter mates who are tuning these themselves on road with a wideband and kmon. Price is good too.

Have done an EMS stinger and cant say I was impressed. Scrub that off your list IMHO.

Cheers, that is another thing I forgot to mention (flex fuel) but I do feel that is a little advanced for me, dual maps would be a big plus