SAU Community

UHF Radio

doxximus

I'm getting a CB for $23 from the manufacturer that supplies Jaycar. Its a Digitor 50 channel... if you want I can get 2.

If it's 50 channels, then its not a 'standard' UHF cb.

Standard uhf cb has only 40 channels (48 if you include repeaters)

The ones you guys are talking about (which retail so cheaply) are available at that price because they dont cover the standard citizens band. (476.425 - 477.400 meg)

In english, this means that if you buy a 'cheap' cb, you will only be able to talk to the other tight asses that wouldnt pay the extra few bucks for a 'real' radio, because you will be in a whole seperate band. :)

[EDIT] further to that, the one that funky posted the image of (from jaycar) is a standard UHF radio.

Take into account that UHF is very directional, and 3-5k's is based on line of sight transmissions.

If you can get 10 people interested in buying one, then the price drops from $79.95 each to $63.95 each, so its worth looking into. :D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got official word from Electus... here you go...

RRP: $49.95

Qty 1+ $29.16 Qty 3+ $27.92 Qty 5+ $26.98

40 Channel UHF/CB Pocket Communicator

This lightweight handheld transceiver is suitable for all manner of professional and leisure activities such as hiking & leisure, use on building sites, IT-cablers & electricians, inter-car road trip communication, farming, etc. This is a quality UHF radio and, whilst just 0.5W output, it is NOT a toy. Open field transmission range is up to an incredible 5km, with typical city range up to one kilometre.

Because of the quality achieved with UHF transmissions, the transceiver is excellent for anyone who uses their mobile phone to communicate with a family member, workmate or friend, living or working nearby. The savings made over mobile phone calls would see these radios pay themselves off very quickly indeed! We tested them in the light industrial area surrounding our Silverwater headquarters in Sydney, and achieved a clear range of over 4 blocks.

FEATURES

- Covers Australian 40 UHF CB channels and repeaters

- Green backlit LCD screen

- 0.5W maximum RF output

- Range up to 5km

- No license required

- Fully compliant with Australian Communication Authority guidelines

- Channel scan & call alert

- Key lock to prevent unwanted, accidental key entry

- Battery condition bargraph display

- Transmit confirm LED

- Removable belt clip

- Dual time & stopwatch function

- Vox (voice activation)

- Push button volume and channel select

- Call tone transmitting

- Provision for vox operated headset / microphone (available separately, use our DC-1012)

- Powered by 4 x AAA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (available separately, use our SB-2444)

- Rechargeable batteries are charged inside the handset (mains charger available separately, use our DC-1014).

- Size, body only 105(H) x 60(W) x 25(D). Antenna length 50mm.

Now if you think this is a piece of junk then don't buy it, if you do want one, then just post up a response saying how many you want. I'll then PM you my bank details n we can work it out.

Personally all I need it for is to keep in touch with the car in front of me, and I'm not gonna rely on it to try n make STD calls or something stupid. So this taiwanese crap suits me fine.

productLarge_5668.jpg

then there's also this one...

40 Channel 1.5w UHF Pocket CB Radio

This high-quality light-weight UHF transceiver is ideal for use in many professional and leisure activities, including hiking, camping, farming, building, inter-car road trip communication, IT & Electrical installation.

This unit has a range of up to 8km, and with a 1.5W output, it is certainly NO toy.

This transceiver is excellent for anyone who uses their mobile phone to communicate with a family member, workmate or friend, living or working nearby. The savings made over mobile phone calls would see these radios pay themselves off very quickly indeed!

FEATURES

- Covers Australian 40 UHF CB channels and repeaters

- Green backlit LCD screen

- 1.5W maximum RF output

- Range up to 8km

- No license required

- Low / High power setting

- Fully compliant with Australian Communication Authority guidelines

- Channel scan & call alert

- Key lock to prevent unwanted, accidental key entry

- Battery condition bar graph display

- Transmit confirm LED

- Removable belt clip

- Dual time & stopwatch function

- Vox (voice activation)

- Push button volume and channel select

- Call tone transmitting

- Provision for vox operated headset / microphone (available separately DC-1032)