SAU Community

External Wastegate Plumbing

Hanaldo

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search but all I could find were threads asking about wastegate sizes.

I'm seeking a little clarification about plumbing up my wastegate. At the moment, I have it setup so that the top port is venting to atmosphere and the bottom port is getting the feed from my Profec B-Spec II solenoid. But, as I understand it, you can get better boost control by having the EBC apply pressure to the top port to keep the diaphragm shut. So I would like to plumb it up in that configuration. However, neither the Greddy manual nor the Turbosmart manual are very clear about where to get the pressure feeds from.

I believe the bottom port should get it's feed from as close to the compressor as possible, in my case that's a nipple on my hot cooler piping just after the turbo. But at the moment, that nipple is feeding my EBC solenoid. So if I was to move this line to the bottom port on the wastegate, and have the solenoid connected to the top port, where do I get the feed for the solenoid from? Do I tee into the line going to the wastegate? I'm sure it's a simple solution, I just don't want to connect it wrong.

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

Martin.

Capture-6.png

ok, to save you the f**king around later, hook kit up the same way as a internal one.. you have an electronic one?

line from MANIFOLD to boost controler -------> to wastgate lower half. top half of wastegate leave open to air.

hooking up the top half of the gate to the controler is another way but is harder to get a stable boost control without spikes etc etc...

ie: do not follow the "external wategate" hose routing that comes with you boost controler..

as far as i know the only reason to plug your EBC into the top of your wastegate is that it will put pressure on the valve which will effectively double your boost pressure..handy if you run out of spring pressure but want more boost....Do you want that??

Perfect, thanks guys :D I thought I was correct with the teeing into the same line theory, wanted to make sure though.

Artz, I believe connecting the EBC to the top port applies pressure to the diaphragm which stops it creeping open, giving better boost control. I'm using two 7psi internal springs which will give me my low boost, but I want to run about 20psi high boost. So either way, this setup appears to be the best option.

• 1 month later...

Ok Im probably gunna look like a goose here, but I think i have it sorted just like confirmation...:unsure:

Im going to use the boost control in my ECU so, I get a MAC solenoid , seems straight forward but whats 3rd port for

PORT 1..pressure in

2..out to top of gate

3..?????

Also when wiring it up, for it to work with the inbuilt boost control in my Ecu..I assume I can just wire it into the standard solenoid wires, Is that right?

Also does it matter which way the wires go around cause it activates either way when I give it power?...

If I want to install a switch to turn it off and run gate/spring pressue, does this switch just go on either wire?

wrong, it gives better boost control.

make sure you swap the fitting in the solenoid from NO to NC when configuring it this way, otherwise you'll freeboost.

and what does this mean, what is NO or NC fitting.. is it relevant to me at all ??

the 3rd port is left open to atmosphere or returned to the intake before the turbo, this is the air thats bled off to give you extra boost.

your solenoid will have 3 ports, COM, NO and NC. COM should be hooked up to a boost source. NO is used when your running s single port wastegate or actuator, run this to the side of the gate/actuator, or when using a dual power gate leave this open to atmo. NC is only used when you have a dual port gate, hook this up to the top port (with the side seeing a boost source, usually T'd off the COM line), in this case leave NO open to atmo.

yes you can hook it up to the standard wires, shouldnt matter which way they go and yes switch can go on either wire.

:thanks: Johnno

ports only have 1,2,3 on them 1 has a P (pressure) and a filter so obviously is an inlet/COM..

2 is on the opposite side and 3 in the middle..any idea which one is which??

I have dual port gate will hook it up as the diagram i posted...

I noticed that the diagram applies to a stock turbo, is that right? cause i havnt noticed a fitting on the garrett for the hose to fit on.

so if thats right, would you feed off the manifold? and would that pressure be the same as the pressure right near the turbo?

I noticed that the diagram applies to a stock turbo, is that right? cause i havnt noticed a fitting on the garrett for the hose to fit on.

so if thats right, would you feed off the manifold? and would that pressure be the same as the pressure right near the turbo?

yes..but the pressure will be slightly different depending on how much you have lost through your cooler..

Some turbos do come with a nipple there but I dont believe it matters..

yes..but the pressure will be slightly different depending on how much you have lost through your cooler..

Some turbos do come with a nipple there but I dont believe it matters..

i guess one could be fitted onto the cooler piping after the turbo, :whistling:

might be silly question but i take it you just use one spring inside? could you use a 10psi spring and still be able to adjust upto 20psi?

yeah really you can fit one anywhere there is boost pressure.....

you can use a few springs inside, whatever you need to get required boost pressure. if you dont have enough spring just use a decent EBC