SAU Community

Which Tyres for street GTR

Can anyone recommend some decent tyres for an R33 GTR? They wont be used for track, just daily street driving.

I was looking at the BF Goodrich range & maybe a very small maybe, some Falken GRB's, the size I'm after is either a 255 or 265 /40/17.

I also want to know what road tyres are good for GTR, Mine hv 4 simi slick but the car is very hard to handle specially in the mountain. i am after 255/40/17 and how much are they? for the good sec hand one

I had Pirelli P7000's and Yokohama AVS V102's (I think thats what they were from memory)... *awesome* tyres, even when they were bald they had insane amounts of grip... but they wear out damn quickly.

Ive currently got Falken Ziex on mine (255/40/17) and they are crap, I wouldnt reccomend them to anyone. Only reason I got them is because I needed tyres then and there so didnt have much of a choice in that size.

The only tyre Falken make in that size besides the Zeix is the FK451 which is meant to be a pretty good tyre and average on tyre wear... im going to give these a try next time, and are anywhere upto $400 a tyre (the prices on these seem to vary quite alot).

Thanks for the replies,

I am seriously condiering the BF Goodrich g-force in the 255 40 17, for a couple of reasons. They recently out performed the Michellin Pilots in the wet, BFGoodrich is being pushed very hard by it's parent company Michelin in Australia. They come out of the same factory using the same technology as the Michellin's and are about $150~ cheaper than the Pilots. Without haggling these are about $350each.

Previously owning a set of Michelin Pilot on my WRX, which I found to be the best tyre I have ever used BAR NONE FULL STOP, even better than the Conti's on the Benz, if these BF's are as good and claimed to be better, then I think value wise they may be my best option... I'd appreciate any input on the matter.

I too am interested in tyres for my GTR - 265or275/35/18 tho to go on R34 GTR wheels (18x9)

The falkens i have on at the moment may as well be coated with oil they are that bad... (only 245's)....

i'm sure my GTR shouldn't go sideways as easy as it does :)

I have alway been a fan of Yokohamas. I just fitted ES100s to mine in 265/35 R18. I have only had the car 3 weeks but these tyres seem very good so far, have given them a workout through the mountains and went to Willowbank last night. Was a bit worried they might be a little noisey, but so far they have been pretty quiet too. Light years ahead of the tyres it was complied with.

jlnewton: is that on a GTR?

how much did they set you back

i also have always liked yoko's

Yep, they are on a GTR, I hate the big price jump from 17s to 18s! They were nearly $500 a corner. That was the best I could do. The V102s were about $600. I think it worked out about $100 more a tyre than Falken ST115 but I was less than impressed with my trial of Falkens. Falken 326s (I think) were $300ish a trye but I have heard less than favourable comments on them.

Meshy - I'd recommend the Yokohama AVS V102's (Also known as AVS Sports)

Not cheap though but awesome street tyre. (But they are a lot less than $600!)

Yes they are a lot cheaper than that in a 17in tyre.

Ferni - fyi - I have 265/35/18's on my R34 GTR rims. You wouldnt want to go any wider.

When yoko make the A048's in 255/40/18's as they plan to in the future I will change to them.

I can understand on the front but not sure why you wouldn’t want to go bigger on the rear. If you don’t have traction problems then there is no need you will just place more stress on the drive train but I’m sure more of us have traction problems :P

why dont you run Bridgestone 55s, they replaced the re540 and are damm good tyres. only prob is still a bit noisy on the road but grip is allmost unbeatable