SAU Community

Which Tyres for street GTR

Ferni - the "standard" tyre for the stock R34 Rims was 245/40/18's. I didnt have a choice with the Advans and had to use 265's (choice of 235 or 265) but they dont fit on the rims properly (over hang too much). I can't remember exactly why but I was told by the guys fitting the tyres that this was detrimental to the performance of the tyres. So basically I would have less grip than I would if I fitted 255's even though the tyre is wider. I think it had something to do with too much flex or something.

snowman - sidewall flex? yeah that happens on tyres that don't have low profile as far as i know

but with such low profile i can't imagine it being bad, the 245's i have don't sit right, you can see rim come out much futher than the tyre

I'd suggest speaking to a couple of other tyre/performance experts before going back to 255's.... will be interested into what is best

For a cheap tyre ($320 per hoop), I've found the Toyo Proxis T1-S to be excellent tyres, use the same compound as more expensive tyres and far better than the Falkens I have experienced.

I've always had yoko or potenza, but these rank as good, if not better.

Michelin Pilot sport is the best i ever use, performance very well and comfortable. Not sure about the BF one's ride quality, being a street car, ride quality is as important as grip.

heard a lot of good comment about S-03 & P-Zero.

if u want better grip u should buy better tyre.

for daily drive, wider tyre only means more virbrate, which decrease the ride quality also increase the fuel consumption. not very wise to go over 255 IMO

p.s. GRB is one of the worst tyre i even use, very noisy but just grip OK

I highly recommend the Falkan Azinis ST115. It's not the semicomp rubber but as most people won't touch the track, these are awesome.

I've done plenty of twisty runs with these tyres and they held the road magnificiently. Also, in the wet, they hold the road very well.

I've used P-Zero (assymetrical), Michelin Pilot Sports, Yokohama A spec and some Federal crap. Forget the last 2. Cheap, last long but that's not what performance tyres are about. P-Zero seems to have a stiffer side walls than the Pilot Sports. The rear end likes to come out more with the P-zero while the pilot sport just squats and grips, grips and grips. It's hard to find the limits of the pilot sports on the road so may have to so one last track day. The Michilen gets my vote.

I used to have these on WRX, and wasn't that impressed with them.. admittingly I only drove on them for around 1000k's... Now you got me thinking,

I've sort of come to a semi decision on a couple of tyres what you all think?

- SO3

- BFGoodrich Profiler

And now thanks to Dave's opinon:

ST115 or what about the Fk451??

Simon - it was the RT215's I was suggesting last night. Same as Nick has suggested.

I've run the FK451's before and thought they were only OK. So would listen to Dave and try the ST115's before them if you want a wetter tyre.

Simon - it was the RT215's I was suggesting last night. Same as Nick has suggested.

I've run the FK451's before and thought they were only OK. So would listen to Dave and try the ST115's before them if you want a wetter tyre.

Andrew,

I've just got off the phone with a Falken dealer Craig at "Track" something in Kilsyth, about some tyres; He also recommended the ST215, ST115 or S03 he thinks with some care I should get 15K-20K out of the ST215, but did say they were OK in the wet but need to be careful accordingly, and they would have trouble going through flat puddles eg: on Eastern freeway. I remember the ST115 on my WRX, and they felt pretty hard and not so grippy in the wet, so no respect to Dave, but I'm wary about them. I'm thinking at this stage the SO3 look the most suitable for my needs.

The prices so far in a 255/40/17 are:

ST115 $320

ST215 $320

SO3 $340

I run 265/35ZR18 Bridgestone S03s all round on my R33 and they only get an "ok" rating from me.

Not worth the money IMHO. They went from a 120 treadwear rating from the S02s to a 180 treadwear rating for the S03s. They're a much harder tyre and aren't as sticky as the older S02s.

On the road, they're perfect as I drive pretty sedately, and in the wet they're unbeatable. Extremely good water dispersion and road holding.

But on the race track, forget it. Don't waste your time. Admittedly I'm used to Dunlop D01J semi-slicks, but I still expected more grip from these S03s. They were ABYSSMAL.

I run 265/35ZR18 Bridgestone S03s all round on my R33 and they only get an "ok" rating from me.

Not worth the money IMHO. They went from a 120 treadwear rating from the S02s to a 180 treadwear rating for the S03s. They're a much harder tyre and aren't as sticky as the older S02s.

On the road, they're perfect as I drive pretty sedately, and in the wet they're unbeatable. Extremely good water dispersion and road holding.

But on the race track, forget it. Don't waste your time. Admittedly I'm used to Dunlop D01J semi-slicks, but I still expected more grip from these S03s. They were ABYSSMAL.

Merli,

Are you basing your opinion about the SO3 compared to the Dunlop D01J? Coz then that is understandable. I just off the phone this morning with a mate who's got the HSV Maloo Ute 255kw, these came out originally with SO2's which he said were unbeatable, but he only got 15K out them, and may people complained so they brought out the SO3 which were harder but he still said they gripped extreemley well. Considering I'm not doing any track work, I'd really love to go ST215 but worried about wet conditions, my next choice is the S03 which seems a bit more practical... dunno :confused: ??

Simon - why dont you put some ST215's on the GTR and the SO3's on the E55. And then you can do your own comparison!

(If it was me Id still put on the ST215's and drive carefully in the wet!)

Simon - why dont you put some ST215's on the GTR and the SO3's on the E55. And then you can do your own comparison!

(If it was me Id still put on the ST215's and drive carefully in the wet!)

I've been advised we're best sticking to the original Conti's Sport Contact 2 or something... got 7-8000km out of them on the rears, I think the skid pan day did't help much either. Apparntley that was good mileage too, some guys with AMG's were only getting 5000 before they needed changing :D

I'll wait for my tyre guy to get back to me, if he catches me at the right moment I might go the ST215..

$340 for the SO3s is a very good price.

You should be able to get much better prices on the ST115s though.

Try Donnelans at Boxhill, from memory i got quoted $270 each, 4-5 months ago.

OK... Got my tyres this avo. As much as I would have loved some semi comps eg: ST215, and the ST115, after a little chat to Emre the oyher night at ICE. I ended up going for the S03 Bridgstones. Ended up paying $310 each size was 255 / 40 / 17.

I thought the ST215 were a little unrealistic for everyday driving and have considerable wet weather disadvantages, seeing that winter & the cold season is here best to wait for summer or more track work. The ST115, well thanks for opinion dave, but I've tried em and wasn't to happy but again I probably didn't give them a good work out, so seeing everyone seems to rant on about the S03's, and if they can keep a 300kw Maloo HSV on the ground then they have my respect.

Any how just thought I'd let yo'll know, and I was pretty happy with the price aswell.

Let us know how they feel after wear in :)

So far I've done about 250k's, taking it easy to wear em in.... and I am definately confident I've made the right choice. The cornering grip on 2-3 occasions felt like glue to the road. They seem to very soft in comparison, as I've noticed small road dirt & stones stuck to the tyres... a bit like a slick after a track day. I dunno maybe I'm just over-exagerating.

This morning I filled em up with nitrogen to 35psi, only coz I've had nitrogen on my old tyres & love the feel of them. It gives the tyre a sort of surefooted thing about them, rather then the wobble feel and keeps the temps & tyre pressures consistant.

I'll keep yo'll informed