SAU Community

Working At An Auction House In Japan?

BakemonoRicer

Hello, I live in Japan and I would say (From past experience) it would be hard to impossible for you to get a job at an auction house, regardless of the tight job market, it would be hard under any circumstances. I recommend you try to get a job at a car exporter - these jobs too are in short supply, but if you get a list of used car exporters and send them a job application I think the cahnces of you getting a job are good. The job you get of course may not be what you expect or want !

Good luck.

What qualifications would I need to work at an auction house in Japan for a year?

I don't know how to speak or write Japanese so would this be a problem?

Also, would it be easy to score a job?

hi mike46

I am looking for a good condition skyline c210 in japan , what are my chances of finding one . i have a mint australian delivered 1977 c210 coupe & a importer from sydney as told me they are not collectable & readly avaliable .

hope all is good any reply would be great .

thanks my77sky

mick

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get a working holiday visa (under 30 and havent got one in Japan before) and you are a native English speaker it isn't difficult. If you can't get a working holiday visa then it may be impossible to get a working visa without a degree as an English teacher. elrodeo666 has said there are ways around it so you are better off PMing him if you can't get the working holiday visa.

This should be stickied : http://www.mofa.go.j...visa/index.html

If you cant tick the box then sorry no visa unless you have some coin (around $50K) then you can use the money short term for investors visa.

I have businesses in Japan and no visa and come and go as I please but trust me, it took a long time and effort and money to get to that stage.

Without stating the obvious, I'm going to go ahead and assume the only reason anybody wants to go to Japan (with the context of us being on a Japanese performance car forum) is to bring back a personal import.

AFAIK, you cannot bring back a personal import on a Working Holiday Visa, only a Working Visa.

But basically, it sounds hard to secure a job, unless I go spend four years at Uni first?

Better off spending that time earning, then paying all the import fees?... Sigh.

Without stating the obvious, I'm going to go ahead and assume the only reason anybody wants to go to Japan (with the context of us being on a Japanese performance car forum) is to bring back a personal import.

AFAIK, you cannot bring back a personal import on a Working Holiday Visa, only a Working Visa.

But basically, it sounds hard to secure a job, unless I go spend four years at Uni first?

Better off spending that time earning, then paying all the import fees?... Sigh.

Edit: Sorry Loach, were you suggesting I go on a Working Holiday Visa, then, while in Japan after finding a job, change my Visa to a Working Visa? If you can, that sounds great.

Edit Edit: Apparently that was reply, not edit. =/

Edited by Idaten

Mate you can go on a tourist visa and change to a working visa same with WH visa to working visa.

Your problem is do you and can you meet the working visa criteria !

If you really want to pursue getting a visa then the skilled labour visa is the one to aim at.

There's plenty of work through Japans winter for english speaking ski and snowboard instructors,rafting guides so go to an instructors course and get qualified.

Other visa is the Cultural visa e.g go study Ikebana but you will need to do your research for this visa and you are technically not allowed to work so will have to show you can financially support yourself for 1 year. e.g you will need to show $25,000 in the bank at time of applying and good idea to have it in your account when entering Japan.

In all honesty, get a job in Australia, save the money and buy your car Oz.

Save some more and go have a holiday and spend your money on parts in Japan.

Edit: Sorry Loach, were you suggesting I go on a Working Holiday Visa, then, while in Japan after finding a job, change my Visa to a Working Visa? If you can, that sounds great.

Edit Edit: Apparently that was reply, not edit. =/

On a working holiday visa you can work as you like, I have had friends come over working as rafting instructors and English teachers with no experience and no degree. There is no need to change to a Working Visa. However, on a Working Holiday Visa, you are limited to one year and if you don't have any qualifications etc you aren't going to be getting the good jobs. In regards to personal imports on a working holiday visa I am guessing they would be completely separate as the Visa is the Japanese Governments regulation of people living in Japan and the personal import rules are the Australian Government's regulation of vehicles which can be registered in Australia.

From the RAWS website http://www.raws.com....portSchemes.asp

"If you are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident it is possible to bring a car into the country as a 'personal import'. For a car to qualify, however, you must have owned and used the vehicle in its country of registration for at least 12 months. The car still requires an import approval to be granted and registration and insurance information must be provided to prove that you have owned & used the car. Usually there are a number of minor modifications required to bring the vehicle to the standard required for registration by your local registering authority. The Transport Department in your state is the best contact to find out the specific requirements."

It doesn't say anything about the type of Visa you were on when using the car in a foreign country and considering the amount of countries and types of Visas available it would be a nightmare to regulate and enforce. From what I understand what the Traffic Authorities in Australia are concerned about is whether you have owned and used the car in a foreign country. But as the above excerpt states you need to contact the traffic authority in your state to be sure. I agree with elrodeo666, if you are only coming here to get a cheap import it is going to work out cheaper and be a lot less hassle to buy in Australia. However if you want to live in Japan and don't have a degree then a Working Holiday Visa is the go, assuming you are 30 or under and haven't had one before.

Edited by *LOACH*

You can with a bit of knowledge get a extension of 3 months on the WH visa but it is at the discretion of Japanese immigration and you will need a bloody good excuse.

As Roach says you can pretty much do any type of work on the WH visa but they frown on work in the Entertainment industry e.g Host and Hostess , New half etc.

Cops are pretty full on and do do raids on clubs known to have foreign workers.

Another option is Japanese Language Student Visa but the course will cost you close to $6,000 plus again you will need to show you have at least 20-25K in your bank.

And another option is get married...there's plenty of Japanese girls out there looking for gaijin husbands.

I have a mate who is on no 5 wife at present. Trades in for a new and improved model every 3-4 years.

Personal import laws have got a lot stricter and you will have to send a photocopy of every page of your passport and documentation to prove you have lived, owned , registered, garaged(e.g parking space) the car for the minimum 12 months.

Just go have a holiday..if you like it then you can decide if you want to live there.

Unless you have a really special car its so bloody cheap to just buy cars and drive them until they break and then go buy another.

Reserved for later. Will add big reply.

For now:

Loach: I apologise. I read: http://www.j-spec.com.au/info/Personal-imports and was working with false information.

elrodeo: Funny that advise. I was actually telling everybody today, "Seems like too much hassle. Will probably work here and just import one."

Although a parts trip for the ER34 may work better. Cheers.

(Still going to edit.)

The times that we are in you dont want to be in any country other then Australia when it comes to financial security from the slide in the world economy, and japan is not so crash hot atm its showing signs of growth early 2012 though. Its good to relocate during booms in the world economy right now i think its a little foolish especially for no skill jobs that pay minimium wage.

Edited by starwarz

hmm, so its not just go and teach english huh..

sounds like there are more options for people like me who aren't white.

Have you looked into getting a job in Nigeria. There are some amazing opportunities available there. They can even give you upfront payments of $50 000 000 American dollars before you start the job. Just give them your account details and they will sort it all out for you.

• 2 weeks later...