SAU Community

Working At An Auction House In Japan?

BakemonoRicer

What qualifications would I need to work at an auction house in Japan for a year?

I don't know how to speak or write Japanese so would this be a problem?

Also, would it be easy to score a job?

You'll have absolutely no problem working at an auction house...

* as a cleaner so long as...

* you change your name from Benji to Benjo

Hint:- Toilets always need a scrub :P

You'll have absolutely no problem working at an auction house...

* as a cleaner so long as...

* you change your name from Benji to Benjo

Hint:- Toilets always need a scrub :P

I actually wouldn't mind cleaning the toilets if it was at an Auction house. As long as I got to walk around the auction yards while eating my chicken and brown rice on my lunch break.

Also HamiltonAu suggested I be an english teacher over there....so I might go to Japan, acquire cheap s13, become english teacher, and learn to drift!

1) Go there for a holiday first

2) If you still like it, remember living there is VERY different to having a holiday there

3) Get a working holiday visa

4) Get a job teaching English (if you have a degree) or in a bar earning shit money

5) If you get REALLY lucky and land a job work at auctions, you will be working for someone else, working 70 hour weeks and if you don't sell, you don't make any money, while your expenses keep racking up. The word 'stress doesn't begin to describe it. If it took you 6 months to build up a client base (which is hard these days), you would easily be $50K down by that point.

I hear that there are some awesome Auction houses in Kazakhstan, you should go there. Plenty of S13's being towed by donkey's, you'll be in heaven. As long as there is no internet there, the rest of us will be in heaven as well.

I hear that there are some awesome Auction houses in Kazakhstan, you should go there. Plenty of S13's being towed by donkey's, you'll be in heaven. As long as there is no internet there, the rest of us will be in heaven as well.

Great post and a worthy contribution to SAU, are you retarded or just trying to lift your post count? Granted, he's trolled before but this question is as legitimate as any other, if you don't like the guy don't post in the thread. I didn't see him making inane posts in your epic topic on DIY glove box light removal...

2) If you still like it, remember living there is VERY different to having a holiday there

4) Get a job teaching English (if you have a degree) or in a bar earning shit money

5) If you get REALLY lucky and land a job work at auctions, you will be working for someone else, working 70 hour weeks and if you don't sell, you don't make any money, while your expenses keep racking up. The word 'stress doesn't begin to describe it. If it took you 6 months to build up a client base (which is hard these days), you would easily be $50K down by that point.

This. Try it first and bare in mind it can be quite expensive to holiday/live in Japan. It's an idea many of us have had but not gone through with once we've done the research into costs. I'd still like to go there for a holiday one day when the funds allow.

On the idea of being an English teacher specifically, go to this site - http://outpostnine.com/gaijin_smash/ start at the very beginning and have a good long read, Az has a very thorough account of how the process was for him, a large black american dude teaching English in Japan. It hasn't been an easy journey for him. That said, he's been there for years, has a partner, little girl etc. So it's not impossible.

Edited by ActionDan

^^ this man - he knows

To teach English tho how the hell are u gna be able to Teach Everyone in the class that speaks Japanese LOL

you'z are gna have no clue whats going on haha.

better start learning japanese fluently

Edited by sultanaz

Seriously there is a misnomer of bullsh#t info here from muppets who have, if lucky, have lived in Japan 2-3 years and think they know it all. Has any of them worked at Japanese auction.

Seriously, most of them wouldn't have a f@#king clue.

I've got quite a few years living and running businesses in Japan and reckon I have a bit of an idea on how things really are.

1) You do not need any Japanese to teach english in Japan thus the reason its a great job for the brainless. (Sorry to those who are teaching) but most english conversation jobs are a mindless job that pays crap , alike it to feeding peanuts to monkeys. Thats why there is a massive turn over of "instructors" and its the easiest of jobs to get in Japan. You dont need JAPANESE !! Japane is a real easy place to live without knowing any lingo but learn it and doors will open if you have a bit of nouse.

2) Get a working holiday visa if eligible and head over. There's plenty of different types of work if your prepared to do some research, ground work and a bit of study.

3) Getting a job in a Auction house is quite possible, others here will tell you different, but you will find employers want a working visa. Check gaijinpot.com employment pages as jobs come up but be prepared to work for bugger all while you learn the ropes. Mechanical qualifications will help find work. Be prepared to work for companies other than those run by Aussies. Go to any auction these days and you'll think your anywhere but Japan.

You wont see many white boys and the ones you do are mostly Russian. I know a lot of guys who run companies there, a few Aussies and Kiwis and poms but most are Indian, Pakistani and Russian.

Go hit them up and volunteer and learn and make contacts. Japan is a place of not what you know but who you know that opens doors for you.

go hang at the auctions, meet people and sell yourself that your looking for work.

4) Bar jobs : Plenty of work doing this. Dont work for some gaijin !! Try get work in a Japanese bar , you'll get shit pay but you'll learn Japanese fast and probably ending up spading quite a bit of candy.

I worked for awhile as a male host, made more money in 2 weeks than a teacher ever could in a month, learned shit loads about Japan, made extremely good contacts and ended up very,very good friends with a extremely high ranked yak boss. Contacts like that in Japan are priceless.

5) Dont get sucked into being told there is only teaching and bar work.

There's heaps of guys I know who have lived there for donkeys years and have not done a days english teaching and have made heaps of coin.

theres all sorts of work e.g, lifeguards, fitness club mangers, restaurant work, hotel reception, jobs in ski areas, wedding singers, models, wedding models, IT work, construction, Marriage celebrant (this pays drug money)

real estate management (lots of foreign investment properties that need management) English school boss (dont feed the monkeys, just run the zoo) etc, etc.

There's a guy who I know who was drinking away his life whilst employed as a english conversation teacher. He noticed the gumball machines in Japan were not as good as the ones in the States.

He bought a few 2nd hand ones from the states, threw in baseball collector cards and a few years later the guy makes millions off the things.

You got to be able to think out of the box !!

Dont get fooled into thinking that there is only teaching. Its for muppets and only a fall back job if all else fails.

Seriously there is a misnomer of bullsh#t info here from muppets who have, if lucky, have lived in Japan 2-3 years and think they know it all. Has any of them worked at Japanese auction.

Seriously, most of them wouldn't have a f@#king clue.

I guess that is referring to me. I never claimed to know it all and have never been to an auction hence why I posted the video. The video has live footage of the auction process. Have a look at the computer terminals, listen to the PA and check out the auction sheets (I also included one in my first reply) - it is all in Japanese. Have a look at the people bidding on the cars, giving out the keys etc etc - they look Japanese to me. You could rely on other peoples second/third hand waffle or just look at the footage. Maybe there is some niche for someone who doesn't need to use Japanese but why would anyone employ them when there are many other people lining up for the job that do understand Japanese and therefore are able to communicate with customers and colleagues?

Now for my third hand waffle. As far as Wedding celebrants go, I know an Aussie living in Nagoya (about the 4th largest city in Japan) who owns his own Wedding company (he is the celebrant and he hires musicians for the music, the building is owned by another company). He lives in Freebell (a multistory apartment building where many of the other apartments are taken up by English teachers) and he doesn't own a car. He also has the pleasure of working Saturdays and Sundays. In addition he has to say a lot of the ceremony in Japanese (I have seen one in person). Maybe there was money in Weddings during the bubble economy but nowadays I don't think so.

When you apply for jobs on Gaijin pot be sure to check out how many other people have applied for the job you are applying for (it gave you the exact number the last time I checked which was last year) before you get your hopes up. A good job will have thousands of applicants - don't believe me? Try it, although maybe not now as I just checked and there are 0 jobs listed in the automotive industry on there at the moment.

I am not saying you should give up on working here but if you aren't going to be teaching English, you don't understand any Japanese and you aren't getting a transfer from Australia where you already work for an international company I think you are going to need a really special set of qualifications/skills.

Edited by *LOACH*

Loach sent you a pm..

Myself I've known a quite few Wedding celebrants in my time in Japan. They do the full show in english and have wedding singers as well.., the full gopsell style. They are afro americans and put on the full show.

Been to a few friends wedding and its quite a good time. Full Japanese style wedding first followed by western style and after parties..

Yes a lot have to be able to speak Japanese but some don't and they make good coin. Not as good as what it was say 5 years ago but still making very good coin.

Mate that does wedding catalogue modelling makes stupid coin, does tv stuff as well.

Totally disagree with you about the auctions.. you should go have a suss and yo might be in for a shock A lot of Indian, Pakistani, Russian , Middle eastern crew there. A lot of them have absolute crap Japanese .

Yep you might need some minimal understanding of Japanese but not a lot. I've been quite a few times and watched a guy who cant speak bugger all. all you need to do is go in the lot, check the car your interested, get the number, go back inside and wait for the auction number to come up on the screen, press your button, 15-30 secs its all over. No Japanese needed there.

If you win its out to the front desk to sort paper work which the auction crew pretty much do. Take paperwork back out to the yard, give it to the bloke, load the car and go.

Helps to have Japanese, yes, needed..not really but a lot better to have the skill. By the way this guy ships loads of cars to Canada weekly.

My point was for the guy to go get out there and try get some experience, meet people and try get a foot in the door.

Gaijin pot...one site I put to have a look at... many more and there are jobs are there if your prepared to get out and go find them.

Mate if you stay in the mid set you have in Japan then teaching is all you'll end up doing.. seem it way too many times before. Applying for interviews and going the normal way you'll never get decent work.

Go out and knock on doors, get in peoples faces and sell yourself.

My point is, sorry but teaching english is a fall back job at best and theres heaps of other stuff out there if your prepared to have a go.

Jump on the merry go round like everyone else and thats where you'll stay and when you want to go home then you'll find out quick smart that teaching english in Japan doesn't really mean very much on your resume.

You really to think out of the box to do well in Japan especially now as its economy is well and truly going down the tubes.

Learn the lingo, yep it will help you get there a lot faster.

Loach sent you a pm..

Myself I've known a quite few Wedding celebrants in my time in Japan. They do the full show in english and have wedding singers as well.., the full gopsell style. They are afro americans and put on the full show.

Been to a few friends wedding and its quite a good time. Full Japanese style wedding first followed by western style and after parties..

Yes a lot have to be able to speak Japanese but some don't and they make good coin. Not as good as what it was say 5 years ago but still making very good coin.

Mate that does wedding catalogue modelling makes stupid coin, does tv stuff as well.

Totally disagree with you about the auctions.. you should go have a suss and yo might be in for a shock A lot of Indian, Pakistani, Russian , Middle eastern crew there. A lot of them have absolute crap Japanese .

Yep you might need some minimal understanding of Japanese but not a lot. I've been quite a few times and watched a guy who cant speak bugger all. all you need to do is go in the lot, check the car your interested, get the number, go back inside and wait for the auction number to come up on the screen, press your button, 15-30 secs its all over. No Japanese needed there.

If you win its out to the front desk to sort paper work which the auction crew pretty much do. Take paperwork back out to the yard, give it to the bloke, load the car and go.

Helps to have Japanese, yes, needed..not really but a lot better to have the skill. By the way this guy ships loads of cars to Canada weekly.

My point was for the guy to go get out there and try get some experience, meet people and try get a foot in the door.

Gaijin pot...one site I put to have a look at... many more and there are jobs are there if your prepared to get out and go find them.

Mate if you stay in the mid set you have in Japan then teaching is all you'll end up doing.. seem it way too many times before. Applying for interviews and going the normal way you'll never get decent work.

Go out and knock on doors, get in peoples faces and sell yourself.

My point is, sorry but teaching english is a fall back job at best and theres heaps of other stuff out there if your prepared to have a go.

Jump on the merry go round like everyone else and thats where you'll stay and when you want to go home then you'll find out quick smart that teaching english in Japan doesn't really mean very much on your resume.

You really to think out of the box to do well in Japan especially now as its economy is well and truly going down the tubes.

Learn the lingo, yep it will help you get there a lot faster.

Thanks for all your help man, I am definately contemplating leaving for Japan next Summer and just seeing where the road takes me. I heard Osaka is nice. Is there any good gyms over there for bodybuilding as well? Because I'm sure me being a "personal trainer" would be great for business. I mean all id have to do is show people the motions etc and could make a lot of money seeing as i am quite muscular as it is.

im sure it would be hard starting out in japan but it's just like any country they have customer service, trades and professional jobs available.

i suppose it is just enquiring about what is available around the area that you stay to see whats on offer and whats viable.