SAU Community

New M35 Owner In Adelaide!

Glitch

Auditioning may not be a bad idea, thanks Dale. Curious, was $950 landed or just the purchase price? If its landed and I can get a similar deal then the decision would be an easy one to make =)

I'm not really the best example unfotunately.

Mine was already in Australia, and was being sold by a guy who fell on hard times. This was at a time when they were still well above $1300 landed; so I couldn't refuse.

Edited by Daleo

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty then, we've got some quotes back:

Mr Streeter - $1,142 delivered (depending on Exchange rate)

Imp Mnstr - $1,300 delivered (8 weeks)

TurboAlfa - $1,499 delivered (worst case scenario)

+ Dump & Mid - $700

Totalling $1,842 at its cheapest

The alternative would be local options:

Dump pipe - $470

Mid w/out cat - $230

2muffler cat back - $870

Totalling $1,570.

My next and only question is whether the Legalis is worth the extra $272? ...I'm not so sure but then I've never had any experience with aftermarket exhaust systems

My next and only question is whether the Legalis is worth the extra $272? ...I'm not so sure but then I've never had any experience with aftermarket exhaust systems

Yes.

There is a reason Nismo use the same main body design for their M35 exhausts.

Edited by iamhe77

I've never had a Jap cat back, I thought the main reason was noise, since they're all certified to a certain (quiet) volume.

I'm extremely happy with mine as is, and for me it's right in the sweet spot volume wise. That said, if mine is too loud, you can just order it with a bigger muffler, problem solved?

Depending on who does it locally, either way you're going to get a quality result. I think it'll probably come down to volume, and if it goes to someone who hasn't got experience building exhausts for these things it'll probably be too loud. Mine was first time, but at least you can go back to the local person and get it fixed.

Thanks for your help and opinions guys. I've done a bit of reading and would be happy to invest a little more in the Jap system the only problem or hurdle that remains would be to convince the better half of the investment value.

We're still yet to receive word on when the car will be shipped over so I'm deliberating as to when to put forward any orders, ie whether to wait till its landed or have everything ready to go once it arrives.

It seems, though, that we'll have ample time to ponder the pros and cons of each. =)

Q: How much difference does a cat back make to performance if you do the dump and mid pipe?

I did mine in one hit, I'd have no idea. Is it even worth it if you want a quiet exhaust?

I did my dump pipe first, and there was a big difference in the response of the turbo, and a reduced amount of throttle required to hold the same acceleration as compared to the OEM strangler. Also, my fuel economy improved (once I removed my lead right clog)blush.gif

This say to me that there is a fairly significant hike in torque when the restriction is removed, and I'm sure there is a decent HP increase to go with it.

I love the rampant selling in these threads. :nyaanyaa:

Here's some unbiased advice:

Buy the cheapest dump and front pipe you can from (I believe the current 3 options are Scotty, Rex Kelway and AM).

If you want more performance/noise, either decide between a locally made cat back or one from Japan. The jap unit will likely be better made than the local unit unless you find someone dedicated like AM or Rex Kelway, and personally I'd always go the Jap unit since there's better resale.

Q: How much difference does a cat back make to performance if you do the dump and mid pipe?

I did mine in one hit, I'd have no idea. Is it even worth it if you want a quiet exhaust?

Noticeable difference.

I ran a Legalis with a Kakimoto front pipe and stock dump for some time.

No dyno but the same drive everyday showed higher boost when putting the boot in and slightly less throttle up the hills.

I love the rampant selling in these threads. :nyaanyaa:

Here's some unbiased advice:

Buy the cheapest dump and front pipe you can from (I believe the current 3 options are Scotty, Rex Kelway and AM).

If you want more performance/noise, either decide between a locally made cat back or one from Japan. The jap unit will likely be better made than the local unit unless you find someone dedicated like AM or Rex Kelway, and personally I'd always go the Jap unit since there's better resale.

Spot on Jase. thumbsup.gif

I did my dump pipe first, and there was a big difference in the response of the turbo, and a reduced amount of throttle required to hold the same acceleration as compared to the OEM strangler. Also, my fuel economy improved (once I removed my lead right clog)blush.gif

This say to me that there is a fairly significant hike in torque when the restriction is removed, and I'm sure there is a decent HP increase to go with it.

Makes perfect sense, but did you notice much of a difference when you did the cat back later?

Thats what I'm wondering. Seeing the difference between OEM and after market dump pipe and mid pipe, I know they'd make a huge difference on their own. Just curious what a cat back adds.