SAU Community

New Rims Have A Strange Hub Face Design And Wont Fit.

ausdrift

After spending about a monnth carefully considering wheel size, width, ofset, maker etc I bought myself a used set of Work Emotion Kais only to find one key problem. The damn things wont fit on.

Here is the problem. While my other sets of wheels all have indents on the rear side where my specers threads can hide inside, the new wheels only have a weird shaped open space on three sides. So the threads can avoid hitting the wheel on three sides but the other two it hits by about 2mm.

So what the hells with that?

Can I get the rims drilled out to compensate for them hitting?

In the meantime, I assume running 3mm spacers should fix this, but its not the long term solution Im after.

thanks

post-15457-0-08242400-1329813249_thumb.jpg

post-15457-0-08309300-1329813275_thumb.jpg

The easier option for me might be to drill out the wheels. I dont have a grinder ad living in Japan, I don'T have a garage for that either. Alluminium is relitivly soft so my probably plan is to do this. A PITA but atleast I also know that I can throw them on any car thereafter. But yeah, grinding bolts would be easier.

I still cant work out the reason for the strange patten in the first place. Ideas?

It's not strange. It's just not the same as other wheels you have seen. Plenty of multi stud / multifit wheels don't have recess for spacers to work with, plenty of normal wheels have a solid mounting flange with no extra holes.

This.

The wheels on my daily have no recesses on them what so ever. I would love to put a 20mm spacer on the rear but I know the factory studs are not going to allow it :(

i wouldnt remove any material from the rear of the wheels in case they arent the strongest and it weaken them, cant you change the spacers so the original studs/ nuts sit recessed in side and flush to the wheel?

OK great.

But for the 4th time, Why are those strange shaped spaces (and only 3) there in the first place? Does anyone know the reason behind the design?

the most sensible answer i can think of is to help balance the wheel.

or part of the casting/machining process.