SAU Community

Ams Alpha Omega

Disregard corners, acquire timeslips!

It's still the wrong tool for the job - as a drag car it'll always be compromised by the car being factory designed for the track. For the same reason, you wouldn't bother trying to make a track car out of a door slammer...

Sure is a monster though. As someone said, for fun and to demonstrate the hopelessness of the human condition :P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, drag racing a late model sports car sounds perfectly fine to me. And the R35 is the prefect weapon to attack a drag strip. The USA is the home of drag racing, so naturally they are leading the charge.

Wrong chassis my arse, What makes it good on a circuit also makes it good on a drag strip...The chassis can handle it.

This is not a heavy car by their standards, matter of fact they would consider it a lightweight. The fact that nissan themselves dialled in that incredible launch control only makes it more desirable to the 1/4 milers.

I doubt we've seen the end of development of the 35 gtr as a drag car by a long shot.

The fact that nissan themselves dialled in that incredible launch control only makes it more desirable to the 1/4 milers.

they arent using the oem lc programming mate

I disagree, drag racing a late model sports car sounds perfectly fine to me. And the R35 is the prefect weapon to attack a drag strip.

i cant legally drag race my sub 10.99 late model sports car :whistling:

Edited by domino_z

How is it perfect for the strip? It's a heavy cornering machine from the factory. In a straight line it'll get done by plenty of RWD cars with less power. Not saying you won't take your share of victories with the thing, but you're not going to be taking any titles or records outside of other heavy AWD cars / fellow GTRs. I don't see any AWD doorslammers, do you? Anyway, really cool car and that dyno graph makes your average graph look pretty insignificant!

How is it perfect for the strip? It's a heavy cornering machine from the factory. In a straight line it'll get done by plenty of RWD cars with less power. Not saying you won't take your share of victories with the thing, but you're not going to be taking any titles or records outside of other heavy AWD cars / fellow GTRs. I don't see any AWD doorslammers, do you? Anyway, really cool car and that dyno graph makes your average graph look pretty insignificant!

have to agree,

1500hp AWD GTR to run 8's or a 800hp Torana/Capri/Cortina etc that you could build for less than the purchace price of a standard GTR.

But the fact that it took 15-20 years for them to get street Supra's in the 8's is a testamant to how far turbo tech and espesially the US outlook on "imports" has come in the last few years.

In comparison a Carbon Clad R35 would weigh 1650kgs wet?, maybe less?, that is similar to a steel JZA80 which has 800cc less engine, RWD and a less than fantastic rear end for drag racing, most of the Supra guys in teh 8's are making similar power, give or take a handfull, but either using 3 speed autos or the 6 speed manual and a clutch pedal

and I have completely forgotten where I was going with this......

By that logic why don't we all just sell our skylines/gtr's and buy go carts? Afterall they'll be better at everything.

No, by that logic you'll have the perfect drag strip weapon, which was the original point. I'm not sure where you're going with go karts.

But not by any street legal cars with 18" wheels and street tyres.

That makes it a good all rounder, not a perfect weapon to attack the drag strip. It's no good sitting in the middle of a scale and claiming victory over either extreme.

The difference is simple, The gtr can probably go get the milk. Show me an 8 second door slammer and I'll show you a car that has been tubbed, laddered and gutted to the extreme.

RWD will always be the ultimate drag platform but that doesnt stop this thing from being a 1/4 mile monster. And can drive to and from the drag strip would be my guess.

Uhhhm....No there isnt. Get over it Zeb. An 8 second toracomofal is a dog to drive. Not even that good actually, and its probably had the cost of the gtr spent on it to make it an 8 second turd that cant stop or turn a corner.

Just respect this GTR fr what it is wether you agree with the american 1/4 mile philosophy or not. It is One amazingly quick machine.

The difference is simple, The gtr can probably go get the milk. Show me an 8 second door slammer and I'll show you a car that has been tubbed, laddered and gutted to the extreme.

RWD will always be the ultimate drag platform but that doesnt stop this thing from being a 1/4 mile monster. And can drive to and from the drag strip would be my guess.

I'm still not seeing the point...nowhere has anyone said this car isn't cool or fast or capable of doing more than just racing...simply that it's not going to dominate at the drag strip when it comes up against the big boys, ergo is not the perfect drag strip weapon. When grocery shopping becomes part of race scrutineering I might agree with you, until then, it's purpose built cars ftw. Nissan fanbois seem to get a bee in their bonnet when people tell them that a Nissan can't be the best at something :/

You cant see the point in building A mega quick awd car. Praps you better go shit can everyone who drag races in any class under top fuel. According to your logic that is the only class that counts.

In a country where 1/4 mile times are bragging rights to the max I can totally understand some guy wanting the toughest awd rights out there.

Fanboi. I dont think so, I think the 35 looks like a bucket of busted mud crabs, would I own one. No. Never have an ugly car. :thumbsup: but I stand in awe at its achievments.

No, I just can't see the point to you talking about how streetable this GTR is, when someone termed it the "perfect weapon for the drag strip" and all I did was disagree with this. I'm not shit canning any racing or car, not even this car. I dig and appreciate how fast it is. I'm just saying that "perfect weapon for the drag strip" is a title you might want to reserve for, say, something that actually beats Mario in his 7 second RX3 with a dirty old 20B.

I'm glad you said "someone" because it certainly wasnt me. Its far from the perfect drag strip setup but I doubt theres a better one for those wishing to pursue awd streett car rights on said drag strip.

Uhhhm....No there isnt. Get over it Zeb. An 8 second toracomofal is a dog to drive. Not even that good actually, and its probably had the cost of the gtr spent on it to make it an 8 second turd that cant stop or turn a corner.

Just respect this GTR fr what it is wether you agree with the american 1/4 mile philosophy or not. It is One amazingly quick machine.

Ye but it's horses for courses

And I love driving my mates angry v8s

Yes it is fast. But it would want to be for the amount of money thrown at it. Then compare what that would cost vs building an 8 sec supra or what ever

That is where it loses it's appeal to me

Glad you still think they are the most f**k ugly thing in the history of late model f**k ugly things lol

Ye but it's horses for courses

And I love driving my mates angry v8s

Yes it is fast. But it would want to be for the amount of money thrown at it. Then compare what that would cost vs building an 8 sec supra or what ever

That is where it loses it's appeal to me

Glad you still think they are the most f**k ugly thing in the history of late model f**k ugly things lol

Only a supra is uglier Zeb. :thumbsup: